Author Topic: Georgina Kelly ne Mills  (Read 5136 times)

Offline jayb2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Georgina Kelly ne Mills
« on: Friday 10 June 11 17:18 BST (UK) »
Any info on Georgina Kelly nee Mills. She was born in 1869 Bellaray India daughter of George & Elizabeth Mills. George was in the 76th Reg of Foot and was himself of an Army family and was born in Dublin in 1830. Georgina Married a Kelly from Belfast in Burnley lancashire 1894 (yes I know its a common Name!!)and moved there I believe they certainly had a number of children any info would be gratefully received.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Georgina Kelly ne Mills
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 June 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
You didnt mention Georgina's husbands name, but based on the date and location there's a possible match on FreeBmd which would suggest that his name is Michael  :

Quarter/Year : Jun 1894
 Registration District: Burnley
 Volume : 8e
 Page : 403
   Michael Kelly        
   James McDermott
   Georgina Mills
   Mary Swift

A marriage cert would show occupations and father's name, and allow you to confirm this.

If this is correct, then there's a close, but not perfect match for Michael, Georgina and children in Belfast on the 1901 and 1911 census. Most details match except that Georgina's place of birth is given as China rather than India?

Kelly family, Benares Street - 1901

Kelly family, Kilmood Street - 1911

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline jayb2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 11 18:09 BST (UK) »
This certainly looks promising I believe there was a Michael & a Patrick and whilst these are common the other names follow family names  Elizabeth Emma & George. I shall send for the marriage certificate. Its funny itsays China because my mother was convinced that she was born in china but all the census say Belleray India and the 76th Reg was there at the time of her birth and her sister Emma's. Many Thanks

Offline Pinecrest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have quite a lot of information on the Kelly family as Georgina Mills was my Great Grandmother.
Regards

Offline JayArn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Just seen your post
Georgina Kelly nee Mills was my Great Grandmother's(Mary Jane Hargreaves nee Mills) sister I would be interested in having any information about her or their sister Louisa Ann Morris nee Mills. I'd be very happy to share what info I have on the family if you don't already have it.
J

Offline Pinecrest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 December 15 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Michael + Georgina Kelly had 7 children (Patrick Joeseph, Michael George (my Grandfather), Francis John, Mary Ellen, Elizabeth Anne, Theresa Emma and Agnes Monica). I have photos of Michael and Georgina when they were first married and some of Georgina when she was a lot older.

I sadly don't really have much information on Michael Kelly.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 December 15 12:08 GMT (UK) »
According to the 1911 census there were 9 children but only 7 living. Link was posted earlier but here it is again-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/Kilmood_Street/221810

I found the following in GRONI's database- father Kelly/mother Mills, all Belfast district:
Patrick born 6 May 1895
Michael born 5 Nov.1897 (mistranscribed in 1911 census as Michail)
Francis born 25 Nov.1899
Gerard born 8 May 1902
   Gerard Finbar Kelly birth https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBKX-647
Elizabeth born 13 June 1904
Mary born 13 June 1904
Theresa born 27 Sept.1906 (mistranscribed in 1911 census as Isabella Emma!)
   http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002184131/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JayArn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 December 15 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have a studio photo taken of 3 of the  Mills sisters and one-of the brothers not too sure who is who of the sisters so would really love to see photos of her & of Michael my mother told me that my Grandfather used to visit Ireland on a regular basis his mother Mary Jane Hargreaves nee Mills was born in Ireland because The four girls were born in Nova Scotia, Belleray and Ireland whilst their father George Mills was in the Army.
J

Offline JayArn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 December 15 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi THe 1911 census that I have just looked at through a link says Georgina was born in China however George &ELizabeth Mills were never in CHina during his Army career and other census say Belleray India. Have to say my mother was under the impression that Georgina was born in China which I discounted having got hold of Georges Army career records Emma elizabeth was also born in Belleray.
J.