Author Topic: Fryer family  (Read 3461 times)

Offline alderwiser

• RootsChat Extra
  • On the never ending journey
    • View Profile
Fryer family
« on: Saturday 11 June 11 22:48 BST (UK) »
I am researching my wifes family tree from Australia and have hit a snag and was wondering if someone could help. A very kind chatter has exhausted avenues in Nottingham and suggested I try Derbyshire as it borders with the county.
I am looking for the burial place of William Fryer died 25-7-1931 Southwell and his wife Louisa Fryer died 19-7-1942 Mansfield
The reason I am trying Derbyshire is that Williams Father also a William died in Basford 1892 and wondered if the family has a connection with Basford
Any help much appreciated
Barry

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fryer family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hello.... :)

It would be useful to know which parts of Nottinghamshire have been searched to try and find William & Louisa...... my guess is they will be somewhere in Nottinghamshire.

As for William Fryer senior he is with his nephew in 1891 - 1891 = Kirkby in Ashfield = RG12/Piece 2661/Folio 100/ Page 33.

Kirkby in Ashfield comes under Basford registration district which was the district William snr was registered in.
I have looked for him in the local cemetery at Kirkby in Ashfield but he isn't there, I haven't access at home to the church graveyard at Kirkby.... although it's likely he won't be there, as when it was getting full the general cemetery was opened.

He says he was born at Papplewick.... but he isn't there, perhaps he could have been traced in finding where his wife Martha is buried.... but no luck there as after William died she remarried in 1894.

Regards

Sheila.

Offline andy_h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
We started with a search of Mansfield and the surrounding areas with no luck.
A search for Southwell does have a couple of Fryer's in the parish registers, but they don't seem to be related.
A general search for the whole of the county didn't bring up William or Louisa, again there are some Fryer's, but no link so far.
The last address is for Pleasley, which is split over the Notts and Derby boarder. No luck on the Notts side and I walk around the Pleasley cemeteries came up with nothing.
We did try Shirebrook on the of chance but that came up with nothing either.
There is a chance that they are not recorded, but there does seem to be a slight link with the Derbyshire area.
All the places that we have definite links for are on the Notts and Derby boarder (or quite close)
Nottinghamshire

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 June 11 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hello... :)

Have the actual register for Upton and also Southwell been searched? I don't know that area well enough to know which general cemeteries people used circa 1942.... in which case they won't be in the parish registers.... need to find out who to contact for the general cemetery in the Upton & Southwell area.

In the meantime I have given Barry the contact details for Mansfield Woodhouse Cemetery as that is where the couple seem to have spent most of their working life..... and is not to far from Pleasley.

Hopefully by chipping away at it they will turn up soon.... :D I have collected a few things re the Fryer family but I can't see any links into Derbyshire, other than you mentioning the last address being Pleasley.

Offline andy_h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 June 11 13:06 BST (UK) »
Yes the register held by the churches (the Minster and Holy Trinity) in Southwell have been checked.
I checked with Mansfield crematorium which holds all the records for Mansfield, Mansfield Woodhouse etc and they don't have any information.
Newark and sherwood have been checked for the two that they look after.
and a full day at the Nottingham Archives double checking the information from the above and doing a wider search, I was unable to find a record for William or Louisa.
I am 99% sure that they are not buried in Nottinghamshire (although would be more than happy for someone to prove that wrong.  ;D )

With that in mind Derbyshire is the closest place that might hold records for the family and so felt it right to include them in the search

Papplewick & Kirkby are only a couple of miles and Pleasley is both sides of the boarder. The only one that doesn't match that pattern would be Southwell.

Hopefully they will turn up in Notts and appreciate having everything double checked, in case something was missed. :D
Nottinghamshire

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 June 11 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

Blimey.... you have been busy on Barry's behalf!... ;D

I hope to go to Nottinghamshire Archives for myself in the next few weeks and hopefully Derbyshire... but don't know how much time I will have with my own lookups..... if you think of anything or in the meantime something turns up please let me know... no point in covering old ground.

Best wishes

Sheila.

Offline andy_h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 June 11 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelia,

What can I say. I like mysteries. Unfortunately this one has me beat, so hoping someone might spot something I missed or have an idea that can springboard the search on.

Nottinghamshire

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 June 11 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hello..... Barry....Hi Andy...... :)

Regarding William Fryer seniors death being registered in Basford registration district and living prior to his death in Kirkby in Ashfield and his burial not found  in the General Cemetery, I thought I would double check St Wilfred's Church, Kirkby.... but I had forgotten this... in the Church records there is a memo which says - there are no entries between 3rd Feb 1864 & 16th Jan 1907 as the registers were destroyed in the fire at the Church in January 1907.

I know he isn't at Annesley or Kirkby Woodhouse; so if William senior is buried at St Wilfred's I can't find any proof of that.

I now know that William and Louisa aren't buried in Pleasley Cemetery, Derbyshire.......

Andy.... I think you must have forgotten Upton? ....... it's usually me going dizzy looking at those fiche readers.... :D

Burials at Upton, Nottinghamshire.

WILLIAM FRYER - 29th July 1931 - aged 71yrs - abode Upton - page 22, entry 176; A.T. Randle, vicar

LOUISA FRYER - 22nd July 1942 - aged 81yrs - abode Fernlea, Pleasley Vale, Mansfield Woodhouse - page 31, entry 248 - Percy Leeds? vicar.

In searching for William & Louisa and trying to get an understanding and clues for where else they might have been buried I have gathered a few other things re the Fryer's going back through William senior and back to his father etc if you would like them?

Kind regards

Sheila.

Offline andy_h

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 June 11 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelia,

Erm. I guess that means I have to eat humble pie. So much for Newark and Sherwoods computerised system.

"Andy ....... it's usually me going dizzy looking at those fiche readers.... "

Not so much dizzy, but they do give me a cracking headache unless I can get one of the magnified ones ;D. Thanks for double checking.

@Barry. I'm heading that way Saturday, so i'll get a couple of photo's then and send them onto you.

Thanks again Sheila  :D
Nottinghamshire