Author Topic: Lawless  (Read 2338 times)

Offline bugsy60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lawless
« on: Saturday 11 June 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am one of John Lawless' grandaughters. His daughter, Wilma was my mother. She was born in Presque Isle , Maine in 1921.  She has since passed away in 1982. John and Alice (Tompkins) Lawless had 17 children. If I can be of help in your search, please let me know.

Offline tugboatca

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Lawless
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 November 17 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  My name is Cheryl.  I saw your post about Alice Tompkins and John Lawless.  My mother was also their daughter born 9/19/1915.  The Record of a Birth found online from Maine Vital Records 1670-1921 just shows Baby Lawless Female.  We have been told that due to financial conditions she was adopted from them by her uncle, Pearl Tompkins, Alice's brother.  I am currently researching the family.  I would love to have more info if you would be willing to share.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 November 17 11:09 GMT (UK) »
John Lawless born Birmingham 22 May 1884 was my grandmothers brother.

Family rumour always suggested William & his Brother John, were sent to Canada because they played truant from school.
Well as the records show they were certainly sent there but during the late 1800s and early 1900s more than 5000 children were sent from the Middlemore Homes in Birmingham through Mr Middlemore’s charity!!
As their father Michael Lawless had died in 1891 it was more likely that they were sent to improve their lot………………. Who knows?
John Lawless, age 8 & William listed as Wm, age 10 sailed from Liverpool on 23/5/1893 aboard the SS Siberian, see below. There were a total of 72 Boys & 19 Girls being sent to Nova Scotia & New Brunswick, Canada, in Mr Middlemore’'s Party.  They arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia on 3/6/1893.
They were first settled in New Brunswick.

I would be happy to share any other information.

Regards Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline EyesOnPrize50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 September 19 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi! I am a family friend of one of Alice’s grandsons. He’s in his 80’s now and lamented to me the other day that he never had a picture of his grandmother whom he loved dearly. Would you all have or k ow who might have a picture of her? I know it would mean the world to him. Thank you!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 September 19 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi! I am a family friend of one of Alice’s grandsons. He’s in his 80’s now and lamented to me the other day that he never had a picture of his grandmother whom he loved dearly. Would you all have or k ow who might have a picture of her? I know it would mean the world to him. Thank you!

Hi Welcome to Rootschat,

bugsy60 hasn't been online since 2011. tugboatca since November 2017. ColC looks to be your best bet.

Can't help you with a photograoh but here is the obituary incase it is of use.

Portland Press Herald Portland, Maine 7 Oct 1949, Fri  -   Page 12

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/36420287/mrs_john_f_lawless_mrs_alice_l/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 September 19 09:43 BST (UK) »
Yep I'm still here.

John Lawless (Michael 2, Patrick 1) was born 22 May, 1884 in Birmingham, Warwickshire. He married Alice Laura Tompkins 4 February, 1905 in Victoria County, Nova Scotia, Canada. She was born 1889 in South Presque Isle, Maine, USA and died October 1949 in Portland, Maine, USA, daughter of James (Nataniel) Tompkins and Frances.

They had 10 children all born Maine, USA.Who were your friends parents?

Sadly I do not have a photograph of Alice but I am in contact with a descendant in the USA, when you reply I will contact them.

Regards

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline EyesOnPrize50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 September 19 17:31 BST (UK) »

Hi Welcome to Rootschat,

bugsy60 hasn't been online since 2011. tugboatca since November 2017. ColC looks to be your best bet.

Sandra

Thanks for all the feedback, Sandra!  The mobile version is more tedious to use, so I had to wait until I could log in from a. computer.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 September 19 19:31 BST (UK) »

Hi Welcome to Rootschat,

Sandra

Thanks for all the feedback, Sandra!  The mobile version is more tedious to use, so I had to wait until I could log in from a. computer.

You're very welcome.  Now you have 2 posts you can use the personal message system to talk to ColC privately.  Pleased you have made contact with each other.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline EyesOnPrize50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 September 19 21:37 BST (UK) »
Yep I'm still here.

John Lawless (Michael 2, Patrick 1) was born 22 May, 1884 in Birmingham, Warwickshire. He married Alice Laura Tompkins 4 February, 1905 in Victoria County, Nova Scotia, Canada. She was born 1889 in South Presque Isle, Maine, USA and died October 1949 in Portland, Maine, USA, daughter of James (Nataniel) Tompkins and Frances.

They had 10 children all born Maine, USA.Who were your friends parents?

Sadly I do not have a photograph of Alice but I am in contact with a descendant in the USA, when you reply I will contact them.

Regards

Colin

Thank you Colin.  Out of respect for his privacy, I can just say he was close with Alice at a young age. Hoping it's not coming off as uncooperative. I'll ask if I can share more information. I also saw someone post 17 children.  I mentioned this to him and he said that it was true. John Arthur was a lumberjack and it seemed like every time he went away and returned, Alice had another child. At least that was his recollection. ;-)