Author Topic: Sarah Kelly - Domestic Servant?  (Read 3877 times)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Kelly - Domestic Servant?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 June 11 14:43 BST (UK) »
Baxter Street was split in two by George Street (c1878 & 1894 maps), but nothing indicated it as upper or lower.

It now seems to be part of the Mancuian Way, somewhere between Medlock St and Rockdove Ave on today's maps

Baxter street can still be found on the 1939 map I have between River st, George st & Chester st

Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 June 11 14:50 BST (UK) »
Using the same address means you don't have to have the banns called in 2 separate parishes. I imagine there is cost involved. I have a number of certificates where this is the case.

Huge numbers of people were domestic servants. There are no national records of them. People obtained jobs by word of mouth, an advert, or in some areas via hiring fairs.There were some agencies later on but the likelihood of any records surviving is exceedingly remote.

Gibel

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 11:38 BST (UK) »
I'm going back to this long-ago post about my great-grandparents Mather and Kelly of Upper Baxter Street, Hulme.  I had dropped it, unable to get any further with that line but yesterday I found another member of the family, William Mather's brother-in-law Robert Peel who was marrying William's sister Elizabeth and found his address on marriage was - yet again - 50 Baxter Street, Hulme.  I find this a mystery!!  Maybe this address was a lodging house.  The Peels got married at Holy Trinity, Hulme so unlike William and Sarah they weren't at that address because they wanted to get married at the Cathedral.
Any more ideas?
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
I can`t see what the mystery is.

Father Henry Mathers name appears in the Rate Books at 50 Baxter Street, from 1870 to 1878 so Elizabeth got married from her parents house in 1878.  Robert Peel would just have lodged there possibly, or just used it as a "suitcase" address. 

Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks so much Mo, I hadn't thought of looking at Elizabeth's family, I was just looking for the connection to Sarah Kelly. 
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock