Author Topic: Dukes of Argyll  (Read 20173 times)

Offline cakemagic

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dukes of Argyll
« on: Sunday 12 June 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
There has been a legend in my family for many years - long before I started tracing my family history 14 years ago- and I am still no nearer to finding if the legend is true. My 3 x great grandfather, Robert Campbell was born around 1787 "somewhere in Scotland". It is alleged that one of his ancestors was the daughter of the Duke of Argyll and she eloped with a coachman. The Duke was apparently so angry when he found that they had married that he tore the marriage entry out of the parish register. It sounds very unlikely that he would do this but that is how the story has been passed down for generations. A few of my family are very proud that they may be related to the Dukes of Argyll and I would love to find the truth. Has anyone any ideas?

Robert Campbell married in Lowther in Westmorland in 1813 and was one of the stone masons involved with the building of Lowther Castle. In the 1841/1851 census he is just listed as being born in Scotland. Very frustrating!!

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Dukes of Argyll
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 June 11 19:49 BST (UK) »
Would a child carry the Campbell name if it was a daughter who ran off with the coachman? 

The Dukes of Argyll family name is Campbell so the daughter would be a Campbell, but her coachman could have been anyone (except possibly a McDonald!  :P)
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 June 11 19:56 BST (UK) »
What was his brides name?  I cant find a marriage listed for Robert/Robt or Rot on FreeReg, do you have the transcript from the OPR?

Offline cakemagic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 June 11 22:04 BST (UK) »
The family always assumed that the "coachman" was a lowlier clan Campbell member? My ancestor Robert Campbell- married at St Michaels Church Lowther on August 14th 1813 to Mary Fallowfield.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 June 11 23:34 BST (UK) »
I would agree with Fifer on this - a coachman? The Argylls were a proud and powerful family and if a daughter had run off, and that's a big IF, she would have been fetched back in jig-time! (And the coachman would have had a watery grave somewhere). To be honest, this is an impossible thing to prove, you say It is alleged that one of his ancestors was the daughter of the Duke of Argyll but how far back was this? I have been tracing other peoples ancestry for over 40 years now and I wish I had a gold sovereign for everytime I've heard a story like this. The dukes of Hamilton were also accused of having illegitimate offspring all over the banks o' Clyde, as were their daughters. Families with the surname Hamilton, Campbell, Scott etc are prone to this sort of legend I'm afraid.
My advice is to put it to one side and go on with what you can prove, it will be just as interesting and, as far as I know, the Campbells up at Inveraray Castle are pretty skint this weather, so no chance of a nice inheritance   :'(
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 June 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
The family always assumed that the "coachman" was a lowlier clan Campbell member? My ancestor Robert Campbell- married at St Michaels Church Lowther on August 14th 1813 to Mary Fallowfield.

I can't find the marriage on FreeReg.  :-\  Do you have the full transcript of what is written in the OPR?  If so can you post it here, so we can research who your Robert Campbell was.

Offline cakemagic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 June 11 15:00 BST (UK) »
Robert Campbell was married in the parish church of St. Michael in Lowther, Westmorland, England to  Mary Fallowfield on August 14th 1813. This is the only information given in the OPR. In his obituary in the Westmorland Gazette- quote- "he was the last of those who came from Scotland to help with the building of Lowther Castle". The 1841/1851 census just state "born in Scotland"circa 1787. Any useful comments would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

P.S. His children's names were Robert Martin, David, Mary, Agnes, Hannah, Catherine and Isabella Campbell.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 July 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
Could you give his stated age per 1841 and 1851 census and do you have the names of Mary's parents?

Are these all the children?

MARY CAMPBELL Female Christening: 21 AUG 1814 Lowther, Westmorland, England
CATHERINE CAMPBELL Female Christening: 20 JUL 1817 Lowther, Westmorland, England
ISABELLA CAMPBELL  Female Christening: 18 JUN 1820 Lowther, Westmorland, England
DAVID CAMPBELL Male Christening: 11 DEC 1822 Lowther, Westmorland, England
ROBERT CAMPBELL Male Christening: 19 NOV 1825 Lowther, Westmorland, England
HANNAH CAMPBELL  Female Christening: 21 DEC 1828 Lowther, Westmorland, England

Offline cakemagic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 July 11 18:32 BST (UK) »
It would seem that these children are the children of my ancestor -Robert Campbell and his wife Mary ,formerly Fallowfield. Robert Campbell's age in the 1841 and 1851 census was 50 and 64 but the 1841 census is never that accurate with ages is it? Thank you so much for your help- much appreciated.