Author Topic: Dukes of Argyll  (Read 20174 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dukes of Argyll
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 July 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
I am willing to be corrected but I thought that the  title"  Duke "was conferred on John Campbell  when he married Queen Victoria`s daughter Louise. That would be about 1870.
The title Marquess of  Lorne is now the heir to the Dukedom`s title , It may have been the title before the dukedom was conferred.                                                                                                   Yet I seem to think it was a Duke of Argyll who ordered  the massacre at Glencoe.
Someone put me right please!
                                                     Viktoria.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 July 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
The Duke of Argyll was the father of the Marquis of Lorne who married Princess Louise.  The Marquis became the 9th Duke of Argyll on the death of his father.

The first Duke of Argyll of the current creation was Archibald, born in 1658.  The title of the Marquis of Lorne is one of the subsidiary titles of the Dukedom and the eldest son usually uses one of his father's other titles.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 July 11 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Little Nell. I was mistaken and am glad to have the correct facts.

One title I like is " Lord of the Isles"-- I think that is one of Prince Charles` titles(  am I shooting my mouth off again?) but one such was Somerled, meaning Summer sailor-- Viking no doubt.
Lovely---- Somerled Lord of the Isles.
                                                                 Thanks again. Viktoria.

Offline Milly Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 May 12 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Viktoria,
I rather like the title Somerled- Lord of the Isles too!
I have been told by others with the same results from their Y DNA tests that I belong to that 'Viking' group who are descended from Somerled.
All sounded wonderful until I 'googled' him & discovered that he is second only to Ghengis Khan for the number of descendants in the world.  ::)
Oh, well, It sounded really imortant for a minute or two.  :)

Milly Mac.
McNeil, Pemberton, Bremmell, Solberg, Hall, Finlay, Nicholls, Berry, Sutherland, Giddey, Tickle

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 04 May 12 23:58 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, it wasn't the Duke of Argyll ordered the Glencoe Massacre. There was a story that Neil Munro the author was also an illigitimate son of one of the dukes.

Skoosh.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 May 12 18:15 BST (UK) »
I did not know that rumour, however , I seem to remember that from a holiday many years ago Neil Munro was from Inverary.The bookshop was full of his novels.
It was a Campbell who carried out the order though,  hence the   animosity-- to put it mildly- between the MacDonalds and the Campbells.All to do with the lateness of some return or declaration of loyalty.The head of Clan  MacDonald went to Inverary Castle.
The Campbells were  graciously recieved by the MacDonalds in Glencoe whilst all the time they knew what their intentions towards tha Mc.Ds were.
It semes the order was partly rescinded and need not have been carried out but the MacDonalds were a bit well--- a law unto themselves, not for the English (Hanoverian) King at all .The Campbells were seeking advancement etc etc .Boot-licking.
Over simplified perhaps  but the gist is there. I`d like to be corrected if anyone has more exact info.     Viktoria.
                                                                         Viktoria.

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 May 12 21:26 BST (UK) »
I didn't know William of Orange was a Hanovarian  :o
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 May 12 21:55 BST (UK) »
There is plenty of information on the internet about the Glencoe massacre, which took place in 1692, well before any Hanoverian was on the throne.

Since it is a very emotive subject, it may well be that you should look at a number of sources for the information, e.g. http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/scottishhistory/union/trails_union_glencoe.shtml
http://www.bayviewkentallen.co.uk/glencoemassacre.html
http://www.scotland-welcomes-you.com/glencoe_massacre.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/shortcuts/2012/feb/12/glencoe-massacre-campbell
http://www.tartanhen.co.uk/appin/glencoe.htm

And that's just for starters  ;)

Many items show distinct bias, one way or t'other.  I've no idea of the real facts, except that in 1692 something awful happened in Glencoe involving the Campbells and the MacDonalds and a lot of people died.

But we stray from the original topic subject: Robert Campbell born somewhere in Scotland who may be related to the Dukes of Argyll.  ;)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 May 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
Yes I rushed in again didn`t I.! I know  the Hanoverians were much later and I was  talking with Culloden in my  mind.No excuse except I`m proper poorly.
I,ve a very stiff neck, and can`t look at the screen through my bi-focals comfortably. it is agony !
I`m feeling sorry for myself, but I spent too long for two evenings last week. Serves me right.

Thanks for the info.  Viktoria