Author Topic: BRADGATE pedigree  (Read 5708 times)

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
BRADGATE pedigree
« on: Sunday 12 June 11 22:01 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a pedigree  that I think should surely have appeared in a Visitation of Leicestershire.

The family were BRADGATE and they hovered around Peatling Parva.

There appears to be a lot of references to a wealthy Thomas BRADGATE of Peatling Parva, around the 1520s, but all the references are in books that I can not view.

Can anyone help me, please.

Regards
Grantley

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BRADGATE pedigree
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 11 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a verison of that pedigree in Nichols history of Leicester vol 4

The top of it gives

William Bradgate of Little Peatling, son of William, descended from the Bradgates of Bradgate house, co Surrey, died in 1480 and was buried at Little Peatling = Alice .......

his son Thomas Bradgate = Joan daughter of .... Warde,  of Carlton co. Leicester esq.

Thomas's two sons
1  Richard Bradgate, lord of PeatlingParva and Bruntingthorpe esq. died Nov 17 1572= Elizabeth daughter of ..... Jervis of Great Peatling

2 William Bradgate, of Peatling Parva, died July 5 .... = Margaret....

It carrys on with several generations of Richards descendents.  Is this what you want?  It doesn't give much detail on Thomas himself.  If you want to PM me your E-mail address I can try and send you the whole thing as a jpeg file

:)

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 June 11 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

Thankyou very much.

I will send you a PM

Regards
Grantley

Offline themagusman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie!

Just found this thread while I was working on my tree. I BELIEVE William Bradgate b1540 in Peatling Parva was my 11th GGF. Does he turn up in the Nichols pedigree?

If so would it be possible to view the line?

Thanks
John Measures

Offline saxi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

I was also believe William Bradgate b1540 in Peatling Parva was my 11th GGF.

I am the grandson of Ruth MacKenzie (nee Holthouse)

I have a copy of the tree going back to  William Bradgate of Little Peatling, son of William.

Where do you fit?

Regards

Scott Young

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi John & Scott,

I have sent you personal messages.

Regards
Grantley

Offline cecilia3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 July 15 17:33 BST (UK) »

Hi Everybody
I know this is an old post re the Bradgates but wondered if anybody would pick it up.
I am related to the Bradgate family through Dorothy Bradgate born about 1632 father most likely William Bradgate. She had a brother William and her nephew Thomas Bradgate son of brother William was mentioned in her will of 1688.Her family have connections to Peatling Parva.
Dorothy married William Osborne of Hugglescote and Donington le Heath a yeoman  farmer and died there in in 1688. Children William 1660 and Dorothy 1666. I have never found a marriage for William and Dorothy in Leicestershire. William Osborne died in 1694 in  Hugglescote/Donington le heath . I have lots of information regarding the family after Williams death.
I would be very grateful if anyone could help.
Many thanks in advance.

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 July 15 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi cecilia3,

Welcome to RootsChat.

My interest in the BRADGATEs stems from a random search for my ancestors.

My ancestor Randolphe WOODCOCKE, in his Will dated 13th March 1640/1641 mentioned his wife Elizabeth plus he confirmed William BRADGATE, Jarvis BRADGATE and Christopher BRADGATE as Trustees of certain assets.

“by my deed bearinge date the fowerteenth day of March in the twelveth yeare of our Sovreigne Lord King Charles [1636] .... confirme unto William BRADGATE of Little Peatlinge in the Countie of Leicestr esquire Jarvis BRADGATE of Wibtofte in the Countie Warwick gent and Christopher BRADGATE of Wellesthrope [Ullesthorpe] in the said Countie of Leicester gent’ .... and theire heires All those messuages Cottages tofts Crofts closes lands tenemts and hereditaments whatsoever lyinge or beinge in the townes villages or pishes of Gilmorton aforesaid and St Martins in the Burgh of Leicr and in Dumiesthorpe [Donisthorpe] in the Counties of Leicester and Derby .... and alsoe the advouson free disposicon and right of Patronage of the Church of Gilmorton .... to such further and other use and uses .... as I by my last will and testamt“

Because her husband Randolphe, appointed (in his Will) William BRADGATE, Jarvis BRADGATE and Christopher BRADGATE as Trustees (of certain assets), I explored the possibility that they were the brothers of Elizabeth, making her Elizabeth BRADGATE. I conjectured that Randolphe may have met her at Peatling Parva, after his appointment in 1601.
My research found that William BRADGATE, Jarvis BRADGATE and Christopher BRADGATE were brothers and they had an unmarried sister named Elizabeth in 1602, BUT, my research also discounted Elizabeth BRADGATE, as she was born in 1600.

Elizabeth WOODCOCKE’s Will dated 2nd August 1653 does not mention anyone named BRADGATE.

I have retained my research notes and I am happy to share them. I have sent you a Personal Message with my email address.

Regards
Grantley

Offline terryos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 20:17 BST (UK) »
Cecilia.
My name is Terry Osborne and I am the 7th great grandson of William Osborne and Dorothy Bradgate that you have mentioned in your post. I would love to hear and just exactly how you are related to the Bradgate family through Dorothy Bradgate, who as I previously stated was my 7th great grandmother. My email address is *
I live in Ontario, Canada near Hamilton. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Terry Osborne

Hi Everybody
I know this is an old post re the Bradgates but wondered if anybody would pick it up.
I am related to the Bradgate family through Dorothy Bradgate born about 1632 father most likely William Bradgate. She had a brother William and her nephew Thomas Bradgate son of brother William was mentioned in her will of 1688.Her family have connections to Peatling Parva.
Dorothy married William Osborne of Hugglescote and Donington le Heath a yeoman  farmer and died there in in 1688. Children William 1660 and Dorothy 1666. I have never found a marriage for William and Dorothy in Leicestershire. William Osborne died in 1694 in  Hugglescote/Donington le heath . I have lots of information regarding the family after Williams death.
I would be very grateful if anyone could help.
Many thanks in advance.

*Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with rootsChat general practice to avoid others spamming or abusing it.  Please the personal message system to exchange such details.  New members need to make two or three posts in order to be able to access the system.  Thanks