Author Topic: YDNA AULD family  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Kiwicol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
YDNA AULD family
« on: Monday 13 June 11 00:22 BST (UK) »
Couldn't see a DNA related section
My AULD family did not seem to bother with having any of their children baptised in the Parish churches in the area of Scotland they are said to be born.
The earliest I can confirm back to is Andrew Auld, and his spouse Margaret Shaw, only one of their children was baptised.
He may be the Andrew Auld baptised 1750 at Slamannan, son of Nicol Auld and Jean MacKie they married there in 1744 he was from Torphichen, she from Slamannan. BUT as so many of the Auld's events have gone unrecorded his may be one of those.
Not in touch with any of my great grandfathers male descendants in New Zealand, and his male branch has died out in Scotland.
Wondering if any other listers with surname Auld have considered YDNA testing, or if in fact there is an Auld YDNA project
I saw that there was an Ayrshire branch back to 1660's
There is a branch in Australia that looks to be descended from Andrew and Margaret, naturally this James Auld died in 1851 so his parents were not named, but the 1841 census has what has to be 2 of his sons with Andrew and his wife at Bogside.
Has anybody had good results with the Family Finder test, maybe this is my best option, if I can also get other's to participate, but at nearly $300 it is not a cheap option.

Offline Dave the Walrus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: YDNA AULD family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 June 11 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Kiwicol,

This is probably of little use to you, but in the 1960's, in Aberdeen, I had an art teacher called Eric Auld. Any relation? He is quite a famous artist in the North East of Scotland and his paintings are frequently on view.

The school was Aberdeen Academy and I was there from 1960 to 1966 and I think he was there all of the time I was there. He was probably in his late 20's or early 30's.

Best wishes,

Dave the Walrus
Rogers(Wiltshire)(Hampshire)
White, Long, Waterman (Hampshire)
Mabbutt(Wiltshire)
Orsman(Hertfordshire)
Minturn(Wiltshire)
Allan, Taylor(Aberdeenshire)

Offline kski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 June 17 00:24 BST (UK) »
If you do the ordinary DNA test on Family finder (which is cheaper now for fathers day) you will find a few Auld families there including female relatives. I agree Y test is too expensive.  I have a small sample of Auld y tests (6).

Offline RobertCasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Irish research - specially R-L226 (Dal Cais)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 June 17 00:45 BST (UK) »
There are two Aulds from Scotland in the FTDNA Auld project (as well as two in Ireland):

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/auld/default.aspx?section=yresults
Casey - Tipperary or Clare, Ireland
Kelly - Ireland
Brooks, Bryan, Shelton (2), Harper, Williamson - England
Tucker, Arrington, Stevenson, Shears, Jarvis - England
Hill (2), Reed, Olliff, Jackson, Potter, Cruse, Charlton - England
Davis. Martin, Ellison, Woodward, Alderson - England
Pace - Shropshire, England
Revier - Netherlands
Messer - Germany
Wininger - Switzerland