Author Topic: William and Mary (Kennedy) Stoddart  (Read 30973 times)

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William and Mary (Kennedy) Stoddart
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 29 September 13 08:22 BST (UK) »
MacDonalds and MacDonells became mixed up (nightmare trying to sort them out!)
Glengarry was very much MacDonell country.
I haven't gone any further back on the Stoddart line as it is the Kennedy side I am interested in.
Loads of info on the Kennedy family and their descendants who married into MacDonells.
Areas of interest - Glengarry, Glenmoriston, Boleskine, Stratherrick.
I would like to hear more from you - especially if you have any photos!

Offline Willow7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 29 September 13 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hiya
I am not sure if you're in the UK or not. I have been to lilac cottage mentioned in previous conversations. I have been told that James Stoddart had built Lilac Cottage. I do know there was a William Kennedy (willie) and Rhonda lived in Inverness. He died in about 2005. Jessie had 5 sons and 3 daughters. In 1985 1sone and 1 daughter were still living.

Offline abrach1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 September 13 17:05 BST (UK) »
Yes I an in the UK.
I have been to Tomnahurich Cemetery in Inverness and found the Inverness Kennedy family grave. it is quite close to my great grandmother's brother and sister's family graves. Also been to the Fort Augustus cemeteries and found the Stoddarts and Mathesons.
I can't remember how to send a personal message, but if you want to send me one, feel free to do so.
abrach1

Moderator comment -
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 December 14 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I have an entry in my Great Grandfathers Shoemaking Book, from March 1907 stating he made 1 pair of boots for James Stoddart, Shepherd, Tullich.  There are a lot of Strathnairn, Daviot, Dunlichity, family names & croft names listed in the book, which covers 1906-1908.  Must try and get it all onto a spreadsheet, it may fill in a gap for some people between census years?
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 October 15 16:00 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that my first cousin, once removed, Donaldina Mackay, born 1908 was married to a George Stoddart, born 1901.

Donaldina was the daughter of Donald Mackay and Maggie Ann (Margaret) Kelly / MacGillivary.

George was the son of James Stoddart and Bella (Isabella) Smith.

Donaldina and George married in 1930.

The areas of Petty, Dores, Dunlichity etc are all featured with this family.

I would love to hear from anyone with connections.

There is a burial at Dunlichity Church for James Stoddart, died Dalveallan, Farr 18/01/1959 aged 89, beloved husband of Isabella Smith, died RNI 4/11/1942 aged 63 years.  Not sure if this is connected with your post.

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 October 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that my first cousin, once removed, Donaldina Mackay, born 1908 was married to a George Stoddart, born 1901.

Donaldina was the daughter of Donald Mackay and Maggie Ann (Margaret) Kelly / MacGillivary.

There is a burial at Dunlichity Church for James Stoddart, died Dalveallan, Farr 18/01/1959 aged 89, beloved husband of Isabella Smith, died RNI 4/11/1942 aged 63 years.  Not sure if this is connected with your post.

Thank you Scotsquinne, they would indeed be part of the family - not blood family, but in-law family.

Maggie Ann Kelly / Kellie / McGillivray was my grandfather's sister. They were both the illegitimate children of Catherine McGillivray, who in turn was the illegitimate child of Marjory Grant / McPherson (the family are quite complicated to trace !!!)

Maggie Ann married Donald Mackay and they had a daughter, Donaldina, who married George Stoddart.

The burial you have found, is for George's parents.

I remember, as a little girl, going with my Granny to visit - Aunty Dolly and Uncle Geordie. Of course, I didn't know the family connection until I started tracing my family tree.

Now, it falls into place.

Fortunately, the name Elrig, Daviot and Dunlichity, helps me to connect the names.

Do you have a photograph of the headstone in Dunlichity?

By the way, Donaldina and George (Aunty Dolly and Uncle Geordie) are buried in Daviot Grave Yard.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 October 15 10:04 BST (UK) »

Thank you Scotsquinne, they would indeed be part of the family - not blood family, but in-law family.

Maggie Ann Kelly / Kellie / McGillivray was my grandfather's sister. They were both the illegitimate children of Catherine McGillivray, who in turn was the illegitimate child of Marjory Grant / McPherson (the family are quite complicated to trace !!!)

Maggie Ann married Donald Mackay and they had a daughter, Donaldina, who married George Stoddart.

I remember, as a little girl, going with my Granny to visit - Aunty Dolly and Uncle Geordie. Of course, I didn't know the family connection until I started tracing my family tree.

Fortunately, the name Elrig, Daviot and Dunlichity, helps me to connect the names.

By the way, Donaldina and George (Aunty Dolly and Uncle Geordie) are buried in Daviot Grave Yard.

Ah i see.  Same area as my Family are from.  I am heading to Dunlichity next week to take some photos actually, I will get a photo of it for you.  The Stoddard name appears in one of my Census Forms from memory, someone marked as a 'visitor'.  Think there is also a Stoddard on the War Memorial from WW1. Will have a wee look. 

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 October 15 10:57 BST (UK) »
The Stoddart on the War Memorial, is Gunner John Stoddart M.M. , Elrig.  (Son of James Stoddart, Castle Stuart, Dalcross).  ......  His name is under my Granda's Uncle, Gunner Angus Shaw, Croachy.

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 16 October 15 20:02 BST (UK) »

Went to Dunlichity today, shall try and upload the photos, cant remember the max jpg size, but will try - or if you drop me a PM with your email address I can send them that way too.