Author Topic: Andrew E Murray:said nephew Of Sir Walter SCOTT  (Read 23456 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew E Murray:said nephew Of Sir Walter SCOTT
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 05:40 BST (UK) »
If the connection to Sir Walter Scott would be via Andrew Murray's wife ....

Eleanor Kilpack daughter of David and Eleanor was baptised in NSW in 1795 (Vol 1A line 448)

I note that the Col Sec's papers 1788-1825 show David Kilpack receiving grants and leases of land in Dec 1794 and July 1795 and Eleanor Kilpack with grants in Jan 1816.

David and Eleanor Kilpack (McDonald) were married in NSW in 1791 (Vol 3A line 129)

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 06:02 BST (UK) »
David KILPACK was a First Fleeter & Eleanor McDONALD was a Second Fleeter.
There is a huge amount of information & documentation available for them  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 06:17 BST (UK) »
 :) huge !

Anyways
Re James Milson (Senior)

http://www.dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/milsons_point

And a snip from part of one of the many paragraphs ....”When Milson first arrived in Sydney he took up a position as a labourer on Kilpack's farm in the Castle Hill area.”    .... It seems to me that Kilpack’s farm would most likely be Andrew Murray’s wife’s MUM'S farm, as David Kilpack died in 1797 (got his CP Dec 1794) and James Milson (Senior) did not arrive until 1806.

Still have not found a connection to Sir Walter Scott .....

I am trying to find the relatoinship; ie family tree for Andrew Murray whom married Eleanor Kilpack 1818 Paramatta nsw. It was said he was nephew of Sir Walter Scott? I dont know his date of birth or whom his parents were, can any one help/ thanks lnr

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 06:40 BST (UK) »
Agh ....

NSW State Library

http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/item/itemDetailPaged.aspx?itemID=887858

Series 01: Milson family further papers, 1848-ca. 2000

Folder 4: Correspondence concerning Andrew Murray’s family connection with Sir Walter Scott. Includes Scott family tree and letters to Betts family members ....... (circa the 1960's I presume)

Cheers,  JM 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 06:43 BST (UK) »
NSW STATE LIBRARY
http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/item/itemDetailPaged.aspx?itemID=887839

Folder 2: Miscellaneous papers of Andrew Murray, includes copies of letters from his uncle Sir Walter Scott, 1813, letter book,1833-1835, with typed transcripts, legal documents including Andrew Murray’s will and documents about land owned by Murray

SO, Sir Walter Scott wrote to Andrew Murray in 1813, and that was before Andrew married Eleanor ... so the connection is via one of Andrew's parents... 

Cheers,  JM

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 06:56 BST (UK) »
Brilliant JM  ;D

In reply #7 I noted Andrew's parents names & in reply #12 both sets of his grandparents.

So, one would have to work from those names to try & find the connection  :-\

I'm hoping that it is the famed 'Sir Walter Scott' as there are a few Sir Walter Scott's around that time in history.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 07:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, that seems to be the way to go !   

Of course, lhr could contact the NSW State Library direct... to seek access to those archived materials

http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/using/contact/index.html

Birth & Christening - Andrew MURRAY:

MURRAY Andrew   
Born: 27 Jan 1793    
Christening: 13 MAR 1793 - Greenwells, Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland
Father: David MURRAY    
Mother: Christian BUCHAN

This is the parents marriage:

MURRAY David m. BUCHAN Christian - 07 FEB 1790 - Of Bowden, Roxburgh, Scotland

Birth of Mother - BUCHAN Christian         
15 JUN 1766 - Bowden Kirk, Roxburgh, Scotland
Father: BUCHAN Andrew    
Mother: HELM Christian

Birth of Father - MURRAY David
11 OCT 1761 - Bowden, Roxburgh, Scotland
Father: David MURRAY    
Mother: Elispath HARVEY    

PUTTING THESE HERE to help !

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 07:08 BST (UK) »
As to which Sir Walter ...

I have presumed it would be this one ....  Sir Walter Scott 15 August 1771 – 21 September 1832

Samples of Sir Walter Scott's handwriting (to compare with copies of the letters to Andrew Murray to confirm which Sir Walter Scott)

http://www.walterscott.lib.ed.ac.uk/correspond.html

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

The following info needs to be VERIFIED ....  I have gleened this from various online resources today, most of those resources seem to have overlooked including any citations or references or sources.  I am NOT familiar with Scottish records.   I firmly believe that it is important to find the primary records, and I urge lhr to consider seeking out the primary records, particularly those holdings at the NSW State Library. 

I include the reminder that the info in this post is SPECULATIVE, it is based on my reading of SUBMITTED online information, some of which includes biographical material from digitised images of published books about Sir Walter 1771-1832.  Please do not rely on the information in this post, but perhaps use it as clues to seek out and to verify/confirm or to eliminate the apparent connection to Andrew Murray 1793-1858.    

I am simply SPECULATING that
a)  Walter Scott 1771-1832 was seventh son of Walter Scott 1729-1799 & Ann Rutherford 1738-1819
b)  Walter Scott 1729-1799 was son of Robert Scott 1695-1775 and Barbara Haliburton 1700- ?
c)  Ann Rutherford 1738- 1819 was daughter of Dr John Rutherford and ?
d)  Walter Scott 1771-1832 married 24th December 1797, Margaret Charlotte Charpentier.1773-1826.   Margaret’s mother was Charlotte Volere.
e)  Children of Ann Rutherford and Walter Scott would include  (obviously if Sir Walter was the seventh son, then there’s other sons and possibly other daughters not listed here) :
Jean
Barbara 1767-1772
Robert 1767 –
John 1768-1816
Walter 1768-1832
Ann 1772-1802
Thomas 1774-1823
Daniel 1775-1806 

Cheers,  JM,