Author Topic: Andrew E Murray:said nephew Of Sir Walter SCOTT  (Read 23404 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew E Murray:said nephew Of Sir Walter SCOTT
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 16 July 17 03:58 BST (UK) »
NSW STATE LIBRARY
http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/item/itemDetailPaged.aspx?itemID=887839

Folder 2: Miscellaneous papers of Andrew Murray, includes copies of letters from his uncle Sir Walter Scott, 1813, letter book,1833-1835, with typed transcripts, legal documents including Andrew Murray’s will and documents about land owned by Murray

SO, Sir Walter Scott wrote to Andrew Murray in 1813, and that was before Andrew married Eleanor ... so the connection is via one of Andrew's parents... 

Cheers,  JM

and

Hi there,

On the NSW State Library's contact details (linked earlier) there's an email address.  I was first introduced to their vast collections back in the late 1950's.  As far as I know it has always been open to the public, regardless of where you live.   I have a readers card, but I don't live in Sydney.  Readers cards are available for NSW residents. 

May I suggest you contact the Library via email, asking for help, I have always found the staff to be friendly, knowledgeable and co-operative.   The holdings are vast, and cover the foundations of all the colonies, including New Zealand (which of course was in the decades before 1841 administered from Sydney NSW). 

I feel that the index seems to show correspondence from Sir Walter Scott to Andrew Murray in 1813. And from this thread we know that Andrew was not yet in Australia (arriving Sept 1817).

:D Don't overlook the possibility that the Uncle/nephew relationship may be one of Godparent or similar honorary title.
 :D And do consider posting on the RChat Scotland boards (Roxburghshire etc), for help with the 1813 era details.   
 ;) Perhaps Andrew Murray was in the army or navy before coming to NSW, or in civil administration - you don't get to be superindentent of the Carter's Barracks without some experience (many of the early appointments were people appointed by Whitehall and sent out from England specifically ... eg C N P Wilton and wife to head the Female Factory at Parramatta arrived 1827, which seems to be same era that Andrew Murray was at the Carter's Barracks.  ....

As mentioned earlier, I am not at all familiar with Scottish Records, sorry, but thank you Astral14 for adding the details to my speculations  :D

Cheers,  JM

Perhaps you took a scan of Sir Walter's reference about Andrew, and/or made a transcript ... I would be interested in reading it.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 02 December 17 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes and this is where the discrepancy arose. That entry is definitely incorrect.
Sir Walter explained in correspondence still extant that Andrew Murray was noticed
by him whilst in employment at Abbotsford I presume, as a Labourer , and that he appeared
to be a talented lad so Sir Walter took him under his wing and I believe gave him the
references necessary to be employed in Sydney at Botannical Gardens - am unsure if
Parramatta as well etc. I have a reader's ticket also so can check and re-post Sir Walter's
correspondence. I have it filed somewhere.
MURRAY NOBLE MOFFAT MACDOUGALL  LEES MCINNES  RINTOUL KENNEDY ANDERSON HALL KELSO REID BOWES STEWART LINTON GAFF LOWRIE  ELLIOTT  GRANT TURNBULL BURNETT STENHOUSE MONTGOMERY SWORD CARROLL DALGLEISH  Mostly of the Scottish Borders Selkirk & Melrose Temple Balantrodoch & Skye

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 08 July 18 05:52 BST (UK) »
I have just read with interest  about this post. I have been speaking  with a distant  cousin  and their is a remote possibility  that i might be directly  related  to the Scott familys. I decend from James Hay and Elizabeth  Scott whos parents I believe  are  William  Scott and Ann Will. A work in progress at this stage. Any feed back appreciated.

Regards Susan
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sebbett62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 24 September 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandmother was Olive May Scott and it is believed that she is a descendant of Sir Walter. She was born 1894 and died in New Zealand in 1975.

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 15 August 20 08:05 BST (UK) »
I have found a advertisement clipping in Australa (Sydney Morning Herald 9/8/1855)
St Boswell's Roxbourghshire
April 5 1855 St Boswell's William Scott esq of Raeburn aged 82yrs died "first cousin to Sir Walter Scott" and father to Robert and William Scott in the colony (Australia).