Author Topic: Andrew E Murray:said nephew Of Sir Walter SCOTT  (Read 23460 times)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew E Murray:said nephew Of Sir Walter SCOTT
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sir Walter SCOTT died 21st September 1832, Abbotsford, Roxburgh, Scotland, and his grave is at Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose, Scotland.

Abbotsford House was his home for many years. I'm not familiar with the geography of Scotland but it appears Andrew MURRAY came from the same region if he was christened at Melrose, Roxburgh?

Essie

ADDED
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbotsford_House

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

a)   A possible brother for Andrew Murray.
From an online Index of Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
26 May 1786 baptism of a male MURRAY, father’s name David Murray, at Lilliesleaf, Roxburgh.

b)   A marriage MURRAY = SCOTT
From an online Index of Scotland Marriages, 1561-1910
3 October 1819 David MURRAY married Margaret SCOTT at Wilton Roxburgh  (The index doesn't show the couple's ages, status, parents or any of the "vital" family history clues) 

I think lhr should consider posting a request on the RChat Board for Roxburgh, Scotland re Sir Walter Scott’s possible nephews  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,111.0.html   

Some questions for lhr .... 
Please, what is the significance of the “E” in the thread’s title “Andrew E Murray:said nephew Of Sir Walter SCOTT”;)
What NSW BDM certificates do you currently have re Andrew Murray, his wife or children .... are there any clues in those documents that confirm the information we have added to your thread  :D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 03:12 BST (UK) »
JM, I also found a brother for Andrew that names the same parents I previously posted.
There are also a few other births to this couple.

MURRAY David
Birth: 09 SEP 1794      
Christening: 16 DEC 1794 - Greenwells, Melrose, Roxburgh, Scotland
Father: David MURRAY    
Mother: Christian BUCHAN

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 03:19 BST (UK) »
This is the parents marriage:

MURRAY David m. BUCHAN Christian - 07 FEB 1790 - Of Bowden, Roxburgh, Scotland

Birth of Mother - BUCHAN Christian         
15 JUN 1766 - Bowden Kirk, Roxburgh, Scotland
Father: BUCHAN Andrew    
Mother: HELM Christian

Birth of Father - MURRAY David
11 OCT 1761 - Bowden, Roxburgh, Scotland
Father: David MURRAY    
Mother: Elispath HARVEY    

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 03:35 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Andrew and Eleanor MURRAY (nee Kilpact/k) married 13 July 1818 at St Johns, Ptta and the couple had at least two children in NSW :

Christina S, baptised in 1820 (Volume 1B, line 5289)
Elizabeth S, baptised in 1827 (Vol 1C, line 7885 and Vol 150, line 8) ***

I have also noticed that a David MURRAY married Elizabeth Ann MILSON 10 Oct 1827 in NSW.   ....
Merlin has already found (reply #4) that Andrew’s sister in law Elizabeth KILPACK married a James Milson(Snr) ...

I am not sure if that David Murray or that Elizabeth Ann Milson are connected to either Andrew Murray or his wife Eleanor, or Eleanor's older sister Elizabeth who married James Milson.

Cheers,  JM

Edit to add, *** Elizabeth Sophia MURRY (sic) baptised 1 April 1827 dau of Andrew Murry (sic) and Eleanor (from extracted IGI), and adding, Elizabeth Sophia Murray younger daughter of Andrew Murray Esq married Neil Stewart  :) at Bathurst, Scots Kirk. 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 03:58 BST (UK) »
A slight side-track ... re James Milson the younger (executor of Andrew Murray's estate) ...
Obit for James Milson   (no mention of Sir Walter) but .... James Milson (the younger) married a second time (as a widower) .... to Neil Stewart's sister (yes as in Neil Stewart of Parramatta who of course was the other executor for Andrew Murray's estate) ...

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/14481966 SMH 13 January 1903

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 04:30 BST (UK) »
 ;D

An RChat thread about Sir Walter Scott,  from a descendant .... astral14

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123176.0.html

Cheers,  JM

PS, I have just sent a PM to astral14 re this thread  ;)

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 04:35 BST (UK) »
Andrew MURRAY's eldest daughter Christiana Sarah MURRAY age 16yrs married Surveyor General - Walker Rannie DAVIDSON in 1836 at St James, Sydney, they went on to have a large family  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 05:16 BST (UK) »
 ;D
Andrew MURRAY's eldest daughter Christiana Sarah MURRAY age 16yrs married Surveyor General - Walker Rannie DAVIDSON in 1836 at St James, Sydney, they went on to have a large family  :)

When the marriage took place in 1836, Walker was not yet the Surveyor General of NSW  ;), because Thomas Livingstone MITCHELL was...  ;)

Walker Rannie Davidson was Surveyor General of New South Wales, 1862-1868. 

PS, I have not found any children with a given name of WALTER to any of these various families, and if Andrew E Murray was a nephew to Sir Walter Scott I would have expected that Andrew's daughters would have that in Andrew's grandsons' names. 

Cheers,  JM