Author Topic: A Confusing Birth Certificate  (Read 12559 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Confusing Birth Certificate
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 11 August 11 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure I understand why that means she can be eliminated?

The birth was an illegitimate one in 1910 in East Ham at an establishment run by the Southwark Diocesan Association for the Care of Friendless Girls and the mother was a domestic servant (Caroline Childs) who may have been working prior to the birth in Guildford.
Not sure how that eliminates single Carrie/Caroline born Woolwich in 1890 (Woolwich in Kent officially until 1888) if it is her at Lambeth hospital in some unknown capacity in 1911?

Births Sep 1890   
Childs  Caroline     Woolwich  1d 1179

Daughter of Henry (a porter) and Eliza (a widow by 1901). On the 1891 census her older two sisters were domestic servants.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 11 August 11 13:12 BST (UK) »
Valda,

Sorry! :-[
I take it back!

Without mentioning too much of what is in the 1911 census (don't want another reprimand from you Mod's!!) her place of birth fits.

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline SvenJJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 11 August 11 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Guys,

I have access to the 1911 census and can see that the Caroline 'Chilas' (They didn't make the stalk of the d long enough  ;D) is indeed consistent with the two from the earlier censuses born in Woolwich which is very nice. I just need to find some more concrete evidence that says whether or not that is the same Caroline.

Jamie

Offline bazzaear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 15 September 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
AS a new member I have been trying to find out my mother place of birth I have her birth cert and guess what she was born at 26 Howard rd and stayed in st elizabeths home although her mother lived in Folkestone,as you say very confusing  ,as other members have said it seems st elizabeths was a home for wayward girls etc and howards rd was where they had there babies.My next search is to find out what happened to my grandmother and my mother before I was born

Barry

Offline SvenJJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 01 January 18 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Over 6 years on and this still remains a mystery to me and my grandfather...  I just really wish I could tell him more about his dad's family!  :-\

Is anyone aware of any newly available records / techniques that may be able to shed new light on an old mystery?

Thanks

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 02 January 18 10:47 GMT (UK) »
The Guildford address was most likely where she worked. They were a couple in their 60s who among their children only had 2 boys, one died in 1902 and the other Arthur Archibald guantlett aged 28 is still unmarried in 1911 and living with a married sister.

Hope this helps.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk