Author Topic: Hoyle, West Yorkshire  (Read 13847 times)

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hoyle, West Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 June 11 18:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm.  Come to think of it I have found this with my gt grandfather - differing ages on just about every record, and I am positive they all refer to the right person. 

I think you have probably hit on the right death record for Herbert Hoyle.  Time to hit the microfilms!

C

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 June 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
This one found by Christine seems about right  Herbert Hoyle, d 1957, age 70 but could be either of the two deaths 1945 or 1957
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 June 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
The 1957 death was for a Herbert Hoyle who lived in Milnsbridge, Huddersfield, with his wife Elsie.  Now the full name of the man I seek was William Herbert, but it is possible he was registered as Herbert, as that's how everyone knew him.  I think you are right dobfarm - it's a choice between the two!

I don't know much about this man, and only found out he was my Dad's natural father last year, as everyone was very 'hush hush' about the whole thing.  Dad was born at Mount Cross Salvation Army home, Bramley, and in documentation now held at William Booth College, London, my grandmother named her baby's father - Hoyle.  Since then I have been busily ferreting out what I could about him and his family - not an easy task, apart from basic family tree info.   

C

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 June 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi C

Which one! You could try Calderdale Family history society as the use Brighouse Library building.

Dobby

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 June 11 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobby,

I am lucky as I work in a Local Studies Library, and know what is available, and also have a genealogist friend who is able to travel about the country, and has found invaluable info for me (she found out about the naughty Mr Hoyle).  I have found a lot of Hoyle ancestors by using various websites, and have Herbert's baptism rec (1890 Elland Parish Church).  Herbert's son to his wife Bertha (Eric Archie 1925 - 1982) lived about half a mile from me when I was growing up in Brighouse, and none of us knew of his existence).  So all in all it is a rather strange story!  I really would like to know just when Herbert died though, for my own curiosity, so I will have a look at the Brighouse Echo microfilm, either at Brighouse of Halifax libraries. 

I thank you for your help as I feel I am a step closer to getting this information now.  There were so many possible death records for Herbert, over a large number of years, and I just thought I could try to find someone who might know what happened to him.  The people who knew this took the secret to their graves. 

Thanks again,

Chris 

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 June 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
Brighouse cemetery seems a logical start- Put ' Brighouse cemetery ' in the search engine above as I read about other people searching  and finding people buried there in other threads. Also Google it as well! also Yahoo search!

Offline 1963chris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 June 11 18:35 BST (UK) »
I'll give that a try!  I know Bertha Hoyle was buried at Brighouse Cemetery, and it could be that Herbert is buried with her.  I know a lot of graves in that cemetery are 50-year lease, but I'm not sure what happened to those buried there after the 50 years is up.

C

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 June 11 19:08 BST (UK) »
Their cem record of burials will last longer than 50 years

Offline katboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 18:01 BST (UK) »
hi, sorry i don't know how old this thread is but i've just started to have a go at my family tree and stumbled across this thread,
my grandad is called george herbert hoyle an the family are from brighouse so i was thinking maybe there could be some connection? his father was ned hoyle and his mother lillian, bit of a long shot but if this bears any resemblence to what you already have for the hoyle's i'd be gratefull for any help :)