Author Topic: charles mcarthur captain of the 'Titoki'  (Read 6772 times)

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: charles mcarthur captain of the 'Titoki'
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 September 11 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Isk,

You should try Lloyd's Register of Captains (I might have the title wrong but I think it was something similar) for merchant marine and the Navy List or a government Gazette perhaps for (presume) Royal Navy appointments or promotions.

I don't know where you are but I don't think any of there resources are readily available within New Zealand.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 September 11 08:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that spades.  Will certainly follow it up.  Maureen

Offline hmcp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 November 11 03:32 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching Charles McArthur and Mary McPhail (who were second cousins) and would be happy to share information, but I'm very new to RootsChat so not sure of how best to go about it.  Cheers, Hugh

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 November 11 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh
welcome to the board
no rules as such, and we post wide range of info
so anything you want to add is welcomed, on this thread..or you can start a new thread on a new topic/brickwall

Once you have made 3 posts, there is a PM message system available that you can exchange more private info and email addresses
Bye
Althea

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 January 12 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello and a very Happy 2012 to all.  I feel very guilty for allowing this thread to lapse and I hope that Hugh is still checking in.  Captain Charles McArthur was a second cousin of my late mother in law and I have lots of information about this particular McArthur Family.  I had not realised that Charles McArthur and his wife Mary McPhail were related.  Did her family also come from the Dumbarton/Vale of Leven area of Scotland?
I have so appreciated all the help and information about Captain McArthur that I hope I can reciprocate by helping others.

Maureen :)

Offline hmcp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 January 12 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen
Mary McPhail was born in Queensland in 1867 to Donald McPhail and Christina McInnes, who had emigrated from Argyll in 1862.  The family moved to NZ in 1868, settling in North Otago where Donald McPhail was manager of the Papakaio Plains Station, a large sheep station north of Oamaru.  Donald came from the Loch Fyne area in Argyll.  Christina's father, Archibald McInnes, was the brother of Euphemia McInnes, Capt Charles McArthur's grandmother, and they came from Kilchrenan in Argyll.  Donald and Christina were my g-grandparents and had 12 children in all, one born in Scotland (who went on to become a sea captain), 2 in Australia and the rest in NZ.

I have been accumulating a lot of information on the McPhail and McInnes families and am happy to share.
Cheers, Hugh

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 January 12 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hugh, 

Thanks for your reply.  Just in the door after a rather longer than intended lunch with 3 friends.  I will dig out my McArthur research and send you some info later this evening.  This is so exciting.  My late mother in law was a wonderful source of information when I started on this Family History quest nearly 15 years ago now and I am so pleased to be able to discover more about her McArthur/ McInnes ancestors.

aw ra best

Maureen

Offline isk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 January 12 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh

I have been looking through the information that I have on Captain Charles McArthur and his ancestors. There is just so much and I don't know what you have already. Perhaps it would be best to send it on a Personal Message.  But here is some that you might not know, to be going on with. His grandfather Alexander McArthur was a Ferryman, who moved to Dumbarton from Inverary some time after his marriage to Effie McInnes in 1808. He was born at Kames in the Parish of Kilchrenan & Dalavich on Loch Awe side, on 7th February, 1779. His parents were Neil McArthur and Lily McArthur(no relation).  Neil & Lily also married in the Parish of Kilchrenan on 28th December, 1775. 
Will gather the some more and send it by PM. 
Best wishes.  Maureen

Offline hmcp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 January 12 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maureen
Thanks for the information, I had the names of Alexander's parents and siblings but not much more, but do have quite a lot on various descendants of Alexander and Effie.  After this post I should be able to PM.

Cheers

Hugh