Author Topic: help needed to find Alexander Grierson b about 1763 Wigton  (Read 7717 times)

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
Re: help needed to find Alexander Grierson b about 1763 Wigton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 June 11 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again

When you say he must have died between 1851 and 54 is it because you saw him alive on the 1851 census??

The reason I am asking is I did find a Alexander Grierson death
on 2nd November 1847 in the district of Leith South, Edinburgh City

I did ask the site to give me a wildcard choice as well as a correct spelling
of the name Grierson and the birth only showed up two and the death
showed this one only.

regards Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 June 11 23:22 BST (UK) »
Sandymac 47
    Yes it comes down to that. Alive in the 1841 and 1851 census, Helen alone in 1861, under her maiden name McKellar,  and a widow at her death in 1862. Then since I cannot find an official death record from 1855 I assume that he must have died between 1851 and 1854. He gave his age as 88 in 1851 so death could be expected fairly soon ! Apparently the OPR' s were not very consistant about recording deaths and buriels. Some parishes didn't record them at all . Their marriage is on IGI at Dunoon and Kilmun, as are the baptisms for Helen and Sophia ( extracted records) 
    The Ediburgh Griersons come up in the various census so I think that they are another family.

Completely unrelated, but another family had a member who was a mason, also at Barnacabber in 1841 and he had come from Glasgow. The renovations on Glenfinart House must have provided work for numerous masons, (Barnacabber was the home farm for Glenfinart Estate)
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 June 11 23:41 BST (UK) »
Sandymac 47
     I may have given myself an impossible task. I think my only hope is to try and trace the Dumfries Alexander from 1764, to a marriage and children and hope that I find a reference to him being a mason. I would then need a death for his wife before he supposedly married Helen McKellar. A big ask.
     One really needs access to the original parish records since they sometimes recorded the occupation. :-\
Wyanga 
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline Sandymc47

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Fowlers of Yorkshire since 1685
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 June 11 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried putting this post on the Scottish site on here.  I had
a query about my Scottish McAllisters and a lovely lady went to the record
offices and looked them up for me.  Maybe someone might do that for you
as well?

regards
Sandymc
Midgley, Fowler, Chadwick, Kilvington, Routledge, Hewitt, Stevenson, Ward, Waite, Binks , Buck, Pearson,  Stanley, Firth, Child, Hobson, Rogers, all Leeds and Yorkshire for centuaries except the Routledges from Wigton, Cumbria and Middlesbrough. Related to McAllisters of Wilsontown