Author Topic: jessie ann brown  (Read 4822 times)

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
jessie ann brown
« on: Thursday 16 June 11 12:03 BST (UK) »
Does any one have a Jessie Ann Brown in their family tree,parents George Brown ,stoker,and Ann Mcarthur.Possibly in the St. Nicholas area of Aberdeen.Thanks EP

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: jessie ann brown
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 June 11 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi EP

What sort of info are you looking for on Jessie Ann? Are you looking to make any possible connection with other people researching the same lines or looking for further info on Jessie Ann's family?

Not sure how much you have on Jessie Ann so far. Her family should be hopefully easy enough to find given the period that you are in. Jessie Ann's birth shows on 24 Feb. 1871 in Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen.

Up to 10 children show as born to parents George and Ann between 1861-76 in Aberdeen (St Nicholas and Old Marchar) following their marriage on 8 June 1860 in Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 June 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, thanks for getting in touch.I am trying to trace my grandmother`s first husband`s family .The only info I have is on his marriage certificate .His age is 24, father Robert Pirie., serving in Royal Scots Greys.In York Barracks.I found a Robert Pirie on 1911 census,England,age 18 ,birthplace Aberdeen .I then found two possibles born 1893/4 in Aberdeen .I ruled one out only yesterday as he was in a Canadian Reg ,in 1916.The other one had Parents Robert Pirie and Jessie Ann Brown.That is the only lead I have I`m afraid.He seems to have disappeared about 1918/9.Unfortunately I only started recently with my research, and all the participants are now dead.I can`t find a military death,have contacted all the usual  sources but no joy. Evelyn

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 11 09:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, thanks for getting in touch.I am trying to trace my grandmother`s first husband`s family .The only info I have is on his marriage certificate .His age is 24, father Robert Pirie., serving in Royal Scots Greys.In York Barracks.I found a Robert Pirie on 1911 census,England,age 18 ,birthplace Aberdeen .I then found two possibles( there are 3 possibilities, Robert Grieve Pirie, 1893, Robert Hillock Pirie 1893 both Old Machar, Aberdeen, and Robert Pirie, 1894 St Nicholas, Aberdeen) born 1893/4 in Aberdeen. I ruled one out only yesterday as he was in a Canadian Reg ,in 1916.The other one had Parents Robert Pirie and Jessie Ann Brown. That is the only lead I have I`m afraid.He seems to have disappeared about 1918/9.Unfortunately I only started recently with my research, and all the participants are now dead.I can`t find a military death,have contacted all the usual  sources but no joy.
Robert Pirie and Jessie Brown were married in 1888 in St Nicholas, Aberdeen which may point to the 1894 birth.

Evelyn, are you looking for a Robert Pirie, son of Robert Pirie?

Regards

Malky

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 June 11 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Malky, yes I am looking for a Robert Pirie ,father Robert Pirie.On his marriage certificate he did not put down a middle name. I was leaning  towards Robert  Pirie  and Jessie Ann Brown as he  was a plater on the birth cert. of a Robert Pirie,b 1894 St Nicholas, Aberdeen.On my Grandmother`s marriage cert.her husband`s father was a slater.Could it be a misprint? He was in the Royal Scots Greys.On 1911 census I found a Robert Pirie ,aged 18 b 1893/4, Aberdeen,in Cavalry Barracks, York, England.Trying to find a connection. Evelyn

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 May 12 19:36 BST (UK) »
I would like to thank you all for advice in tracing Robert Pirie . I have now found him . I had a feeling  it was the Robert Pirie and Jessie Ann Brown ,so bit the bullet and went for broke at the Registry Ofice in Edinburgh . Spent the day there, looking at all B M `D s for Robert Pirie ,and found a marriage in Edinburgh . Amazingly it stated he was divorced ,and there was my Grandmother`s name on it . I have now found a marriage  ,more children , lived in Manchester ,and died there in 1953.

His first family by his son still live in Dunbar ,my home town ,and were delighted to find out about their grandfather. I was pleased to help as they didn`t even know his name .

One of my more satisfying results , with your help of course .
Many thanks
Evelyn

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 May 12 08:56 BST (UK) »
Evelyn, that is great news for you  :)

To check on possible divorce papers, see www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue  If you type in 'robert pirie' and then tick for 'phrase',  you get 11 entries, including some divorce case references.

Monica

PS: Thank you for coming back and letting us know how you get on! It is always great to hear how people got on with searches  ;)

Offline boston14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 May 12 11:43 BST (UK) »
Monica ,
                Thank you for the info.on NAS. I have always wondered why my Grandmother divorced , only six months after their son was born . Do you think the reason will be on the form ?

Much obliged to you 

Evelyn

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 May 12 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Evelyn

Never seen the content of this type of document so not sure what is included. Some info here www.nas.gov.uk/guides/divorce.asp which might help.

You might need to go back in to Edinburgh to see what the documents actually say (or arrange for photocopies to be sent to you?).

Monica