Author Topic: John Hercules Finnigan Galaway 1780  (Read 6201 times)

Offline lin46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Hercules Finnigan Galaway 1780
« on: Thursday 16 June 11 17:02 BST (UK) »
John Hercules Finnigan was born in Galaway Ireland 1780 he married a Julia smith who was born in Ireland  in 1787 they married in plumstead Kent on The 25th may 1812 i would like to know how i can find the parents of john and Julia and when they came to England any help would be gratefully appreciated  ;D

Offline lin46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Hercules Finnigan Galaway 1780
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 11 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi i am here again i have found out that john Hercules finnigan was based in woolich Kent because he was in the army but havent got a clue where to start because i havent got a army number has anyone got any clues where i can start with this any help would be grateful  ;D

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 June 11 18:12 BST (UK) »
You would need to know where in Co. Galway (i.e. parish or townland) John's family lived to start any search for him. You also need to know which denomination his family were. Very few parishes have records back to the 1700s

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lin46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 June 11 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi i dont know any more sorry i know he came over to england and his wife who was born in ireland is there a passanger list which can tell you when they came over all i know is he was in the army  :-\

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 June 11 18:41 BST (UK) »
no passenger lists were kept for travel between Ireland and England - all part of the UK back then

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline lin46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 June 11 19:54 BST (UK) »
 ;D Hi with doing some more digging and looking through burial records and baptisams i have found John Hercules Finnigan was born in 1787 in tuam galway he died aug 1828 in Ashton under Lyne age 41. When he Married he was john hercules finnigan when his first two children were baptized in woolwich kent he was john hercules finnigan but when he moved to Ashton Under Lyne he was John Finnigan.Just need to find his birth in Ireland and maybe his parents names ?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 June 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
You didn't mention the denomination of John's family ....

If his family were Catholic then his baptism would be just before the start of records available for the parish of Tuam.

Baptisms from Mar 1790
  Marriages from Jan 1799
  National Library microfilms : Pos. 4221, 4222

note there are a number of gaps in these records

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline lin46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 January 13 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello I'm back trying to find out more on John Hercules finnigan haven't got any further on at all think I'm not going to get any further back, I don't know if he was catholic his son was John Hercules ,he was just John finnigan unless there are records out there for 1787 or around that time I'm stuck hope someone can help please. ???

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 January 13 19:37 GMT (UK) »
If your John was Catholic and from Tuam, or nearby, then I'm afraid he's a little too early for any baptism records, as these start in 1790 - which is usually early for rural RC records. Church of Ireland baptism records for the parish only go back to 1808.
My Surname Interests