Author Topic: Ford Cemetery - Liverpool  (Read 34761 times)

Offline hsu29

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ford Cemetery - Liverpool
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, here is a plan of Ford: http://www.fordcemetery.co.uk/plan.htm
It seems like Section AS is on the right as you enter the graveyard. It is not a public area but like you suggest may not have a headstone.

I presume this may be the contact number for above, this is the Roman Catholic Cemeteries Board no: 0151 522 1017, who may be able to help.

a note: do not pay for accessing any records as ringing the number above you can find out information for free.

Hope this helps,

hsu29
CORBETT - Dawley, Shropshire/Wolverhampton,Staffordshire
DAYBELL - West Derby, Liverpool / Southport. Balderton/Southwell, Nottinghamshire
DODD - Handley, Waverton, Cheshire
EYRE - Staffordshire
FITZPATRICK - Toxteth Park, Liverpool / Belturbet, Cavan, Ireland
HARTLEY - Hutton Roof/Lupton, Westmorland / West Derby, Liverpool
MARSHALL - Edinburgh, Scotland
McCABE - West Derby, Liverpool / Ireland
SMITHIES - Westmorland
TRAVERS - Bombay, India
WHEARTY - Drogheda, Louth, Ireland

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 October 12 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm aware this is a little old but I wonder if someone could please help. I'm about to visit Liverpool and Ford where my relative is buried (Peter Dougherty 1800-1870). I've got the maps now (many thanks for posting these) but is anyone able to clarify the grave number as I can't make out if its 'S.l' or 'L.l' or indeed something else?

And if there are any other tips, hints or updates on searching the graves at Ford?

thanks

Denis
Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline hsu29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 00:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Denis, from looking at the grave map sections, the nearest that looks like it is: JL. Also looking at it if it was an S then it would be more curved at the end instead of straight. A slight comparison can be made with the J on John. Thats what i'd be inclined to go with.

If you haven't searched for graves before its helpful to note that the sections and numbers are marked (generally) on the back of the stones. Sometimes on the sides. Some dont include them. The plot numbers go up in numbers along the rows of the section they are in so you are able to track the headstone - or if one is missing, almost the exact spot your ancestor is buried as a patch of grass between headstones.
public graves are different but the maps suggest it is a private section.

As to finding the sections, its helpful to get your barings from the main entrance using the map & follow the paths around. the grave numbers will tell you the section you are in if you are stuck.

I hope that helps & is the sort of information you are after.
Good luck in finding Peter this time.

Susanne
CORBETT - Dawley, Shropshire/Wolverhampton,Staffordshire
DAYBELL - West Derby, Liverpool / Southport. Balderton/Southwell, Nottinghamshire
DODD - Handley, Waverton, Cheshire
EYRE - Staffordshire
FITZPATRICK - Toxteth Park, Liverpool / Belturbet, Cavan, Ireland
HARTLEY - Hutton Roof/Lupton, Westmorland / West Derby, Liverpool
MARSHALL - Edinburgh, Scotland
McCABE - West Derby, Liverpool / Ireland
SMITHIES - Westmorland
TRAVERS - Bombay, India
WHEARTY - Drogheda, Louth, Ireland

Offline tommobecket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 October 12 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi. My brother and I were able to visit Ford last week and search for Peters grave. Thanks to your help Susanne we were able to find what we thought was the plot but with no headstone, so we looked further afield. We came across a memorial to those whose graves are unmarked, so we returned to what we thought was the site of his grave which was in the middle of a number of large memorial stones for priests and nuns who were buried there. On looking at the record we saw that Peter was buried with fourteen others, mainly children and assumed then this 'space' must be a paupers grave. However, on another link its suggests that Ford cemetery had no paupers graves? Would be interested in any ideas on this?
Sad to think that Peter travelled the world (Portugal, Australia, India) fighting for King and country (with the 63rd Regiment) and ended up in a paupers grave. Many thanks

Byrne, Stapleton, Kennedy, Dougherty, Clishan/Clisham. Easter 1916 Dublin, in Ireland.
Sharp, Houlgrave, McCarrick, Quinn, Dougherty in Liverpool.
Japha in Liverpool and Prussia (Poland)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 March 13 00:39 GMT (UK) »
There are no Paupers' graves at Ford Cemetery. Public graves are sometimes thought to be Paupers' graves because a number of people not related to each other are buried in the same plot. Interments in Public graves are paid for by the family or friends of the deceased but they do not own the plot. There is no shame or sadness connected to Public graves it was a very common form of burial in the old days. It's only in more recent times that people have thought it important to have a family plot and gravestone.

Blue

Offline davebrady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Check Out my website - www.davebrady.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 September 14 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just found your post, hope this helps.
If you look on the back of some headstones (not all), they have plot numbers and are usually in rows of 10.
So if you stand looking at the back of the headstones, the nearest may say (for example) 'AE420' with another 9 plots in front. Then step left, 'AE430' with 9 plots in front, step left ' AE440' and so on.
As I said not all have plot numbers on, so a little detective work will usually locate the missing grave.
There you go, clear as mud......
Good luck
BRADY (Cavan/Dublin/Liverpool)  HUGHES (Wirral/Liverpool)
CAFFREY (??/Liverpool)                JENNINGS (Devon/Liverpool)
COLLINSON (Chester/Liverpool)  JONES (Llanidloes/Welshpool/Liverpool)
COOPER (??/Manches/Liverpool)  LE GRYS (Norfolk)
DAY (Devon)                                 MICKLEBURGH (Norfolk/Manchester)
EASTWOOD (Devon/Liverpool)     OLIVER (Welshpool/Liverpool)
ENNIS (Liverpool)                         PIERCE (Southampton/Liverpool)

Offline Tom Patton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 June 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
I have spoken with a company that make and erect cemetery headstones and I was informed that the centre of each grave is 46 inches apart. That would mean that in section AS the centre of grave 494 would only be 46 inches form the middle of grave 495 hope that might help.

Tom P

Offline jaimeejackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 June 19 14:36 BST (UK) »
hi does anybody know.... some of my relatives are buried in ford cemetery and I have the image of the grave but when I type their names to search for burial records etc nothing comes up? I am so confused