Author Topic: Info :Bungay - Old Church Records.  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Ditch1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Info :Bungay - Old Church Records.
« on: Saturday 18 June 11 16:06 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is the right place to put this!

I have just discovered reading the Beccles & Bungay Journal that old church records are on display today. Sorry I found the article too late to be of any use to any one today, but they are then being lodged with the Lowestoft Record Office.

“They are old church records unearthed at Emmanuel Methodist and United Reformed Church at Bungay. They include the Bungay Independent Chapel and the Bungay Congregational Church (the forerunners of Emmanuel) since the 17th century. The newspaper article says that among those to be viewed are baptismal records from the 19th and 20th centuries, communion registers of attendance, legal and other documents and photographs relating to building works, financial accounts from the 19-20th centuries. Women’s Fellowship details from 1956-99, the Church Book covering the years 1776-1818, trust, finance and Sunday school records from Ilketshall St Lawrence, and junior church records of the 19-20th centuries.

There are also London Missionary Society records from 1944-79, minutes of deacons meetings (1898-1989), church meetings and church history (1818-1987), including marriage, baptism and church roll information, the obituary book from the former Bungay Methodist Church, records of membership from the 1700’s to the 20th century, and trustee records of the building in the late 1800’s.

Also on display will be many more items of information in loose papers, photographs and building works and detailed accounts from local shops and businesses.”

They appear to be on display for one day only, and the article doesn’t say when they are actually going to Lowestoft Record Office.

Hope this will help some.

Mary.
O'Neill - Co. Clare, Ireland, Framlingham, Bury-St-Edmunds, Halesworth.
Vice, Vyce - Framlingham.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Bungay - Old Church Records.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 June 11 18:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for letting us all know about this Mary.  ;D

Perhaps after the weekend, Rick could transfer it for you to the Resources board so it will be available for everyone searching in Bungay.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?