Author Topic: Frasers of Kilarlity  (Read 13650 times)

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frasers of Kilarlity
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 June 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
hi ghostwhisperer.....yes yes yes, that is them....yayyyyyy! .the  ( James, Colin and Duncan )Fraser Bros farmed here at Byaduk about 2 or 3 hours away from me in the Western District Of Victoria, (Margaret and Ann the sisters came in 1868) they were very early settlers there.  The original house they built in the early 1860's still stands and is classified by the National Trust here.  Thank you for the brother John entry, I could not find him listed anywhere else and wondered if he had died as an infant.  I will have to check out who is who on the next entry only knowing James and Isabella....Thank you so much, that is so much more than I could have hoped for. Cheers!

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 June 11 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Craizi Daizi..thanks for your contact, My ggrandmother Margaret Fraser was born in 1840, the child of a William and Helen Fraser....so might be another one.cheers maggie

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 June 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi ghostwhisperer, please excuse my ignorance but what does the abbreviations MD MB and AM mean please..cheers

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 June 11 14:04 BST (UK) »
Md is a Medical Doctor, AM is a Minister I think and MB - no idea possibly Bachelor of Medicine?

Online G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 January 17 22:36 GMT (UK) »

A few stones along is a very large stone which includes the following

In loving memory of my father James Fraser, Farmer, Wester Clunes died there 12th March 1853 aged 73 years and my mother Isabella Fraser also died there in 1836 aged 53 years.

Its a 4 sided stone with a lot of info

Erected by John Fraser, Farmer, Balchraggan in loving memory of his son James Fraser, MD died at Sutton Coldfield 23rd Aug 1906 aged 35 years. Also to the memory of said John Fraser born 12th  Dec 1828 died 28th May 1916 and his wife Jessie Urquhart born      died 15th March 1920. In his lifetime John Fraser was repeatedly chosen by his chief to represent the Clan Fraser on great  occasions, he worthily upheld the Clans glorious traditions to the end of his days, as did his ancestors who fell fighting at Culloden. Their daughter Annie died 24.3.1957. Also her daughter Ann died 17.3.195- And her son James Fraser, MB died  5.4.19--. Also Simon Joseph Fraser died 26.7.1979 aged 78. In loving memory of my father James Fraser, Farmer, Wester Clunes died there 12th March 1853 aged 73 years and my mother Isabella Fraser also died there in 1836 aged 53 years. Elizabeth Rose Fraser died 15.3.1981 aged 88, wife of James Fraser MB. The Revd. James Fraser, AM, Phopaghy, Author of The Wardlaw Manuscript born 1634 died 1709 lies buried here.
[/quote]

Dr James Fraser of Sutton Coldfield who died on the 23rd August 1906 , according to his obituary  he had left a wife and a eight month old daughter and he had practiced there for upwards of seventeen years, first as an assistant, then a partner of Dr.Alfred Evans at 3 High Street Sutton Coldifeld, who later was Knighted and was mayor of Sutton Coldfield 1890/91, before working by himself.......Does anyone know what happened to his wife and daughter?

Online G Mlx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 February 17 15:28 GMT (UK) »

A few stones along is a very large stone which includes the following

In loving memory of my father James Fraser, Farmer, Wester Clunes died there 12th March 1853 aged 73 years and my mother Isabella Fraser also died there in 1836 aged 53 years.

Its a 4 sided stone with a lot of info

Erected by John Fraser, Farmer, Balchraggan in loving memory of his son James Fraser, MD died at Sutton Coldfield 23rd Aug 1906 aged 35 years. Also to the memory of said John Fraser born 12th  Dec 1828 died 28th May 1916 and his wife Jessie Urquhart born      died 15th March 1920. In his lifetime John Fraser was repeatedly chosen by his chief to represent the Clan Fraser on great  occasions, he worthily upheld the Clans glorious traditions to the end of his days, as did his ancestors who fell fighting at Culloden. Their daughter Annie died 24.3.1957. Also her daughter Ann died 17.3.195- And her son James Fraser, MB died  5.4.19--. Also Simon Joseph Fraser died 26.7.1979 aged 78. In loving memory of my father James Fraser, Farmer, Wester Clunes died there 12th March 1853 aged 73 years and my mother Isabella Fraser also died there in 1836 aged 53 years. Elizabeth Rose Fraser died 15.3.1981 aged 88, wife of James Fraser MB. The Revd. James Fraser, AM, Phopaghy, Author of The Wardlaw Manuscript born 1634 died 1709 lies buried here.

Dr James Fraser of Sutton Coldfield who died on the 23rd August 1906 , according to his obituary  he had left a wife and a eight month old daughter and he had practiced there for upwards of seventeen years, first as an assistant, then a partner of Dr.Alfred Evans at 3 High Street Sutton Coldifeld, who later was Knighted and was mayor of Sutton Coldfield 1890/91, before working by himself.......Does anyone know what happened to his wife and daughter?
[/quote]

Yes I have just found out that his wife remarried and her daughter Jess died unmarried in 1977, however Dr.James Fraser had had another daughter before he was married born in 1900, whose descendants would like to know if there are any family members left which are related to Dr.James

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 March 19 17:29 GMT (UK) »
There appears to be two Balchraggans - one near Abriachan, and the other near Moniack. Am I correct in assuming this one refers to the Moniack area?

Offline madchia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 March 19 17:57 GMT (UK) »
BTW, I appear to be a distant match to a number of Frasers or descendants which all lead back to Kiltarlity. My paternal grandmother was a Fraser.
My John (Simon) Fraser, b abt 1796, Tailor, 12 Telford St, m 1818 Inverness, Janet McIntosh, Green of Muirton. They had nine children: William 1819, Eliz 1821, John 1824, Simon 1826, John Simon 1828, Thomas 1830, Janet 1833, James 1836, John Simon 1839 (from 1842 death).
Ninth child, John Simon, may have been b in Liverpool where John and Janet moved to between 1836 and 1839. All others b Inverness, INV.
Janet McIntosh Fraser died in Liverpool in 1839. John remarried in 1841 to Hannah McLandsburgh/Landsborough. His father was then named as "William Fraser, Labourer, deceased"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 March 19 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Md is a Medical Doctor, AM is a Minister I think and MB - no idea possibly Bachelor of Medicine?
MD = Medicinae Doctor = Doctor of Medicine (not all medical doctors have an MD degree)
AM = Magister Artiun = MA = Master of Arts (not necessarily a minister)
MB = Medicinae Baccalaureus = Bachelor of Medicine (MB Ch B is the basic medical degree to qualify as a  medical doctor. ChB = Chirurgiae Baccalaureus = Bachelor of Surgery)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.