Author Topic: Northern Travellers (Burnside, Morrison and Stewart.... help please  (Read 30054 times)

Offline MiaBurnside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northern Travellers (Burnside, Morrison and Stewart.... help please
« on: Monday 20 June 11 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Im new to posting although I have lurked for quite a time!

When I was a little girl I used to go out 'hawking' with my Grandma selling rugs around the Leicestershire villages. She'd be done up to the nines with her rings and sovereigns and I would wish I wasn't there! I also used to go out with my Grandad picking up scrap metal and taking it to 'the yard' to weigh it in

Unfortunately she didn't tell me much about her background so I have very limited information to trace her family back. There are names on here that I seem to know. Janey, Wilsons, Elliotts, Fred Smith or is it Fred Elliot

Grandma was Elizabeth Burnside b.1916 Manchester. Her father was Richard Burnside but I'm not sure which one! I think it was the one born Skipton 1880. Her mother was Mary Stewart and I recall her saying her grans name was Annie Stewart.

She married John Joseph Monaghan in 1933. His mother was Nancy Morrison. He died in 1943 and she later married a Tom Woodward. I think he came from travelling stock too. His birth certificate said born in a tent somewhere in Norfolk.

If anyone has any information, please let me know. Please bear in mind I am unable to PM anyone until I've posted x3.
Thanks
Mia

Offline MiaBurnside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Travellers (Burnside, Morrison and Stewart.... help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 11 13:32 BST (UK) »
I forgot to mention. I know live in New Zealand!

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Mia.

Welcome toRootsChat.   The names you mentioned were definately travellers.  Maybe when a few more people on this board see your post you may get some answers.  In the meantime you can reply to me and then be able to PM whom ever you may wish to.

Val :)
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline MiaBurnside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Val

Thank you for replying to my post  ;)

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:Travellers (Burnside, Morrison and Stewart.... help please
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 13:59 BST (UK) »
hi, mia, welcome. it would take a bit more info to help you. but for now i can say that i am related to the wilsons, burnsides, and stewerts all well known old travelling folki. there are lots of romany men called dick burnside, and a lot live in the skipton  and north yorks areas, and all of the names you mention still travel around today. something i can tell you the wagon in the photo is the rolls royce of its day, looks like a bill wrights, there is no poverty there. these are well off travellers, still holds true today. i used to hawk rugs carpets etc myself. and the wilsons still do. l know what you mean about being ladged, ( embarrased ) when hawking, i used to go out with my mother many years ago now, and did not want to be there! my dad used to say a traveller  cannot afford to be ladged, we have to make a living. anyway i am sure you will find lots of info on this site. by the way my brother in law/ had a brother in law, jim burnside, dead now. that did scrap metal in skipton he was first cousin to my dad. so we may be related somewhere? if you want to pm me feel free. bye rob..
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline feesca1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there I am too related to the Stewarts and the Wilsons, but having trouble finding relatives of my Martha Stewart born either Ireland or Yorkshire born approx 1806.  She married William Stewart in Yarm in 1824.  Any help on Martha Wilson would be a help, as she is my 4th great grandmother.  Thanks.
mctiernan ireland
leonard skibbereen ireland
stewart durham
prew north yorkshire
sheehy/shea sheehea wales

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 18:45 BST (UK) »
hi, feesca1, i am in my fifties, when i was a boy and i never asked my family about the stewart connection. except we camped with jimmy stewart. my mothers first cousin born penrith cumberland circa 1920s, sadly all the older folks are dead, and as yet i have not began to research that side of my tree, there is info on them living in foster street penrith on familysearch.org in 1881 census, they were hawker/horse and general dealers. some went to the kendal, ulveston areas, others scotland,they are a fairly large traveller family. as with most romany  folki, family relations. are a lot more verbal than written,  i know they were in lancashire also. my mother was a miller, and you will often find both familys living in the same areas on censuses., sorry i cannot help more at this time.  but when i get round to researching them i will let you know if i find a connection. rob...
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline janeo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 June 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Mia ,your gran was my Aunt Lizzie ,i am Janey Wilson- Smith daughter ,i have a couple of photos of your gran ,she used to hawk polish with my mam both gorgeous blondes .my great granny was burnside i remember Johny and Jimmy Stewart ,lizzie was her cousin .i am so exited to see this post Janeo ,ps i'm in Canada .
Smith, Wilson ,Elliot ,Ratchford Burnside ,

Offline janeo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 June 11 20:38 BST (UK) »
i also remember tommy woodward ,he used to call me gyppo , i would tell him ''it takes one to know one ''he was a very good looking man ,dark with a tache ,lovely memories,i have a lot of info on Wilson /Burnside and a lot of photos ,will be so glad to share .
Smith, Wilson ,Elliot ,Ratchford Burnside ,