Author Topic: ANGUS W WHYTE - GLASGOW  (Read 5208 times)

Offline Xcalibre

• I am sorry but my emails is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ANGUS W WHYTE - GLASGOW
« on: Monday 20 June 11 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi to everyone, I am wondering if someone can assist me help me find out about my granddad on my dad’s side. I don’t ever recall meeting him and he died (I believe) when I was a young boy, 1960’s I think?

My dad was:
JOHN THOMSON WHYTE
Born:   13/03/1936
Died:   21/06/1984

When dad died, my granddad’s war medals (4 of) were passed on to me. The box in which the medals are contained has the name Mr Angus W Whyte written on it.

On the side of two of the medals is 42214 PTE A. W. WHYTE SCO. RIF.

I have downloaded Granddad’s war medal record card from the National Archives/Records, so I know he was in the Scottish Rifles, in the Great War, and the Second World War. [Note: not interested in granddad’s military career at the moment]

As far as I can ascertain so far (I think, as I am new at this) is that he ‘may’ have been born in 1899, and the middle ‘W’ might/could be ‘Wilson’?

The following is from my mum (still alive, but with a poor memory). My granddad ANGUS WHYTE married a lady named MARY. From this marriage there was two children ANGUS (junior), and JOHN (my dad). ANGUS (junior) died in his teens from a brain hemorrage, mum thinks he ‘might’ have been born about 1930? JOHN (my dad) was born on 13 MARCH 1936 died on 21 June 1984.

Mum tells me that ANGUS and MARY WHYTE lived at 154 LONDON ROAD, GLASGOW. She never met MARY (my grandmother), which means MARY would have died before my dad started courting and marrying my mum in 1958-59?

Sometime after MARY died (date unknown), my granddad married a lady named AGNES.

After the war my granddad was a ‘SHOPKEEPER’ somewhere in LONDON ROAD, GLASGOW. My mum doesn’t remember the name of the shop or where in London Road it was.

My granddad was a CHURCH ELDER at ST JOHN’S CHURCH in ARGYLE STREET, GLASGOW.

I know from my dad that my granddad was also a MASON.

According to mum, Granddad, Angus (junior), and ‘his wife’ are buried in a cemetery or graveyard near to HOGGANFIELD LOCH, GLASGOW. [I have searched the RIDRIE PARK CEMETERY INDEX – no trace].

I apologise in advance for the lack of brevity. I am also NOT necessarily looking for someone/anyone to do all the work, but pointers to resources would be great. If however you like a challenge, then anything you send me would be very gratefully appreciated.

Warmest regards,

John

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ANGUS W WHYTE - GLASGOW
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 11 20:49 BST (UK) »
Your father's birth certificate should list names of both parents as well as date and place of their marriage. Do you, or someone in the family, have a copy of it?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Xcalibre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 11 21:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey for your very prompt reply. Unfortunately I (and neither do any of my brothers and sisters) have my dad's birth certificate, thus the reason I am searching blind, so to speak. We moved from Bridgeton, GLASGOW in 1974, to Dunfermline, FIFE for dad's work. Thank you again.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
You should be able to get a copy of the birth certificate which will make it easier to find more information on your grandparents, etc.

Since the birthdate is less than 100 years old it can't be viewed online but you can order it from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Not sure if there's another way to get a certificate for this date but I'm sure others will know.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Xcalibre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you again aghadowey for your advice and patience. I have joined up ScotlandsPeople, now going to explore! Your assistance is very much appreciated. Warmest regards.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
Marriage is available to view and download on scotlandspeople which will give the bride and groom's parent's names

1928 WHYTE ANGUS WILSON and THOMSON MARY JANE at DENNISTOUN GLASGOW CITY/LANARK

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 June 11 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Excalibre

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Have you spotted the Lanarkshire Resources board here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,510660.0.html

There is also a guide to starting out with research for Scotland here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html

In this first stage of your research, you are in a period where many of the birth, marriage and death certificates that you need to view are not available to view on line and need to be ordered.

You might want to consider a visit to one of the main genealogy centres in Edinburgh or Glasgow where you can view more 'modern' certificates on line there (past the current cut offs for online downloads).

From the above link ( www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,24468.0.html) see reply no.1 which details what is included on Scottish certificates.

Monica  :)

PS: See Sancti has found details of your grandfather's first marriage now.... ;)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Xcalibre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 June 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
MonicaL, thank you so very much for the resources , I will explore them, I have been running round in circles! I have been digging deep (with a severe lack of patience) only to find that certain sites only cover England and Wales. Thank you for taking the time and effort to reply to me. Warmest regards to you.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 June 11 21:41 BST (UK) »
1901 census

Angus Wilson 63 Head born: Roseneath, Dumbartonshire Occupation: Stationer's Warehouseman
Janet D Wilson 33 Daur born Glasgow Occupation: Housekeeper
Angus Wilson Whyte 2 grandson

Address: 19 Ronald Street St Rollox Glasgow