Author Topic: james fothergill mallerstang chr 1700  (Read 19646 times)

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
james fothergill mallerstang chr 1700
« on: Monday 20 June 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
hi
can anybody help with tracing where james fothergill's christened in march 1700 father and family lived in mallerstang his father was a john fothergill but there are several john f's  living in the locality around that time .
any imformation on a margaret fothergill who died in december 1689 at deepgill mallerstang would be much appreciated

cheers fellsman

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: james fothergill mallerstang chr 1700
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 08:52 BST (UK) »
Kirkby Stephen is the nearest market town with a church for Mallerstang people.  Have you looked there?   There is a local historical society who may be able to help too.
Andrea

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
hi andrea
yes i've been checking kirkby stephen parish records .

a john fothergill married a isabell rudd on 10th nov 1698 these may have been james's parents isabell may have been born at hartley.

cheers fellsman

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 June 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have Margaret's will? According to information in Richard Fothergill's "The Fothergills - A First History" she asked Rowland Fothergill (d. 1699) and William Birbeck to look after her son John. There is a bit more about Margaret in this volume so let me know if you haven't got it and I will PM you.

I can't find references to your John or James but there are some Johns about the time whose trees are given and so might be helpful in doing eliminations. Again let me know if this would be helpful.

Brie

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 June 11 22:06 BST (UK) »
hi brie

no i don't have margarets will but i do have richard fothergills first history .
 margarets son john may be james father but the will refers to him as baby john in 1689 so i assume that he wouldn't be old enough to be james's father. It would be interesting to know if any fothergills were farming at deepgill between 1689 and the 1730's  when james was there.

james wife's family were connected with quakerism as were the birkbecks so that probably also adds to the confusion and lack of records.

i wonder if william birkbeck had a will and if john was mentioned in that

cheers fellsman

Offline Teek10

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 August 11 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Fellsman.
Would this be the same James who married Mary Parkin.If so these are my wifes ancestors. We havent had any luck finding his parents either, but John Fothergill and Isabella Rudd look the most likely to me.
Regards
Trevor

Offline RonaldWLong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 September 11 19:00 BST (UK) »
HI:

If you are still looking, I have James Fothergill's parents as john Fothergill and Isabel Rudd at Deepgill, Westmorland.  His grandparents were John Fothergill and Jane Birkbeck --also at Deepgill.  This is supported by the Kirkby Stephen P/R.  This is a connection that Richard Fothergill hadn't made to my Birk Rigg-A family that he described in volume 2.  The framework that he provided for the Deppgill families is a bit sketchy, but it connects.

Ron Long 

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 October 11 16:15 BST (UK) »
hi
Isabell Rudd dau of John Rudd of Hartley chr 8th june 1679

John Rudd married a Hanah Ellison of Hartley 23 june 1670

Does anyone know anything about a John Fothergill of Nateby in the 1680's ??? a daughter Barbary was christened 9th oct 1681 and was buried 20th may 1684  and his wife Elizabeth was buried 12th may 1684
a son william was christened in may 1677

does anyone know who the Jane Fothergill of Birkrigg Mallerstang buried 24th jan 1726 was
cheers fellsman

Offline RonaldWLong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 October 11 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi:
You added a few details to what I had on Isabell Rudd's parents --thanks.

The reference to John Fothergill of Nateby doesn't seem to match any of the Nateby lin in Richard Fothergill's second book.  Had you anticipated that this John was related to James Fothergill born in 1699/1700 ?  Based on residence at Deepgill, I assumed that John Fothergill and jane Birkbeck were james' grandparents.  That Jane was born in 1636 and is not the jane that died in 1726 @ 70.

The Jane Fothergill who died at Birk Rigg during the stay of Jno Fothergill (Birkrigg-b) has caught my attention previously.  She died before James Fothergill and Mary Parkin arrived at Birkrigg.

Ron long