Author Topic: Chinese Soldiers Deaths Liverpool?  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Hogan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Soldiers Deaths Liverpool?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 08:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the help  :D

http://liverpoolremembrance.weebly.com/chinese-community.html

Go see what im working on.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Chinese Soldiers Deaths Liverpool?
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hogan ,
I think that it  is fantastic,that you are researching these men and honouring what they did for our country,
the site is well thought out and a credit to you and others,and of course it will be of  great interest to any one interested in  social and family history, even people like me who have never even been to Liverpool,I do hope one day, that you do actually find their fingerprint records and can name them officially on your web site,
Good luck with your excellent project ,
Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Clarrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Drowned seaman, known as “the Chinaman” Lum Soey Chum
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 00:17 BST (UK) »
This is a shot in the dark.

My ancestors are buried in a graveyard in Ardamine, Courtown, Co Wexford, Ireland.  I have visited this place all my life (I’m 46), although I am not from there - I’m English. At the edge of the graveyard is a grave which, I was told, was that of a man, always known as “the Chinaman”, whose body was washed up on the beach during the second world war. 
After having heard the Archive Hour programme several years ago I have often wondered whether he was from Liverpool.  His grave used to be marked with a metal cross, but nowadays there is a gravestone which says:

From a war ravaged sea, washed up on the strand, Lum Soey Chum, seaman, Laid to rest 8th May 1941, RIP.

Even as a tiny child it was clear to me that his grave was always well tended by the locals, who presumably erected the tombstone later.  It is a fishing village and everyone has known a friend or relative who has drowned.  My family always visited him when we went to see the family graves.  He comes into my mind quite often.  He is in a lovely place, with a view of the sea, overlooking the beach where St Aidan is supposed to have landed.  People clearly care for him.

I wanted to put his name out there in case descendants ever search for him.  It seems likely he was working on a British warship or merchant navy ship that sank, since they were able to identify him, I’m guessing he wore a dog tag.

I’m not sure which is sadder - being so far away from home if you’re from the Far East or being from Liverpool just across the water, without your family ever finding out where you are.

I’m also not sure his name is even Chinese.  I wondered if it might be Korean.  Perhaps someone can advise?

Anyway, there is a picture of his grave on the North Wexford Historical society website, along with all the other graves in the Ardamine graveyard.

If there is a better place for this post than the Lancashire/Liverpool Board, please send it to the right place.
Sunderland/Ireland: Coyne, Patterson, Cane, Kane, Purdy, Gildea, Layden, Conlon, McAllister, Ruddy
Northumberland: Mosman, Miller, Alder, Atkinson,
South Shields/Belfast: Purdy, Johnson
Newcastle /Ireland: Layden, Doyle
Sunderland/Northumberland: McLaren
Liverpool/Ireland/Sunderland: Caine, Kane, Lavell, Macnamara
Ireland (Wexford): Wafer, Kavanagh, McGuire, Byrne, Hughes
Ireland (wicklow/Dublin): Ryan, Toole, Brien
Ireland (Belfast): Purdy, Pye
Ireland (Mayo): Kane, MacNamara, Lavelle