Author Topic: Dorothy Piggot Mystery Help Please  (Read 8756 times)

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dorothy Piggot Mystery Help Please
« on: Tuesday 21 June 11 15:37 BST (UK) »
A story in the family is that my grandmother's cousin Dorothy Piggot (from Scotland) married age 16 to an Irishman.  Do not have whereabouts of marriage or dates.  (My grandmother ( Mary Reid) was born 1880 - gives an idea of the possible time scale)
The story goes that she was widowed at 24 and had 3 children.
She was in Bray, I presume  County Wicklow.
Further speculation is that her husband was a laird, if not perhaps wealthy.
Another problem is that I do not have any clues to her maiden name or any other information on her. The surname  Piggot is not in my family tree at all, perhaps it is her married name.
Possible too that she could be my greatgrandmother's cousin. Great grandmother's married name (Reid) was also Mary  born 1852 in Scotland.  The Irish connection is that her mother was Mary McBlain who came from Ireland to Scotland.
I have tried a few searches on the County Wiklow sites but made no progress.
I realise this is very much a needle in a haystack situation. Maybe there is someone who could come up with some ideas.  Very pleased to have any help or suggestions.  Thanks Mirrin   

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy Piggot Mystery Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this could be any connection? (only Dorothy Piggott in both census years):
1901 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Dundrum/Dundrum/1226928
1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Dundrum/Main_Street/236496
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 18:46 BST (UK) »
Thankyou very much for that.  Perhaps the story that I have heard has some truth in it. In the 1901 census it show that the wife Elizabeth (Shairp) Piggot was born in Glasgow which is the area that the family come from. Also her mother Martha MacKintosh was born in Rutherglen also fits, as family come from there too. I see that the husband William is a landowner something that was in the tale.
At the moment I do not know anything at all about Elizabeth Shairp the wife that is something that I can check out to see if she is  an ancestor. I'll also check her mother Martha, Martha being a name in the family then.  Though I do not have the names of Shairp or McKinnon in my tree.
You have given me something to work on here in Scotland and that is great.
I wonder about the daughter Dorothy's middle name of De Say, quite unusual, do you know whre that might be from.  I am not familar with Irish records.
Many thanks again.  Mirrin 

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
Have been doing a bit more searching.

Elizabeth Shairpe MacKintosh was the daughter of John Broun MacKintosh & Martha Blair. She marriwed William Jackson Piggot on 21 Nov.1888 at Old Monkland Church, Coatbridge. Two daughters- Dorothy De Say (born 2 Sept.1893) and Ethelreda Jackson.

William Jackson Piggot was quite a well-known historian and perhaps he chose the names for his two daughters.

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the latest information, i appreciate it very much.  I now doubt any connection with  Dorothy and wonder how the story in the family developed.
I tried to find the marriage of Elizabeth and William on Scotlands People but found no record of it. Did you find it on Ancestry?Could not find a birth for Martha Blair either.

Thanks again for your help.  Mirrin

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 10:25 BST (UK) »
If you google "William Jackson Pigott" lots of information comes up, including several family trees.

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 June 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.  I will try and find out if there is a distant connection somewhere to the Piggot family.

Offline Murray Tosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Mirrin,

I found your posting and wondered if you solved the mystery? I have a Mary McBlain, born in 1815 in County Down, whose family came to Scotland. She married John Robertson in Cambuslang c1850, and had a daughter Mary in c1851. Mary Robertson married James Reid in Cambuslang in 1873.

If this is the same Mary McBlain, she had a younger sister, Martha, born in Rutherglen in c1835, whose youngest daughter married William Pigott, so that Martha had a granddaughter born in Ireland called Dorothy, who would been Mary Reid's cousin once removed. A lot of the incidental details in your mystery fit with the family I am looking at, which is indeed the Pigott family in Dundrum. Some of the details seem to fit Elizabeth Mackintosh and some might fit a Helen whom I am investigating to see if she was Elizabeth's surviving sister.

Murray Tosh

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 September 17 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Murray It looks like same family. What information do you have re Mary McBlain's family. Mary born c1815 you said Martha her younger sister born in Rutherglen 1835! her daughter married William Piggot their daughter Dorothy born in Ireland. I dont know anything about her. 
 As you say John Robertson married Mary McBlain, it was a second marriage for them both.
Which branch are you connected to.

Mirrin