Author Topic: Dorothy Piggot Mystery Help Please  (Read 8755 times)

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dorothy Piggot Mystery Help Please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 September 17 19:13 BST (UK) »
Hi I have been away from this posting for some time, so not as familiar as I was. I see the name in previous posting is Martha Blair so looks like she is not Mary McBlain's sister.

Offline Murray Tosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 September 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am researching Martha McBlain, sister of the Mary who married Muir and Robertson. Her parents were John McBlain and Jane McRoberts. She was born in Rutherglen c1834, married John Tosh, took Mackintosh as her surname and died in 1909 in Dundrum Co. Down. I have most events for her 12 children and some for her six grandchildren. These are cousins and 2nd cousins to the descendants of Mary McBlain. Am happy to share if you are still interested. Murray Tosh

Offline Murray Tosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hello again. I missed your 1st reply. Yes, Mary was a lot older, but you'll have found John and Jane McBlane in the census in 1841 and 1851, and you'll see Martha with them. They also had a Jannet Muir granddaughter with them in 1851. I am not related to Martha, but to her husband, John Tosh, so her children are also related to me. Your family story is correct, except that it was Martha's daughter Elizabeth who married the Irish land proprietor, William Pigott; her daughter Helen (Johnston) who was widowed with 3 young children, and Elizabeth's daughter who was called Dorothy. Martha was with the Pigotts in Dundrum Down in 1901, and seems to have died there in 1909. I didn't know of the County Wicklow connection you mentioned earlier, and perhaps this is where some of them ended up, as vital events in the 1900s are rather elusive. Murray

Offline mirrin

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 October 17 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Murray  Yes I have the 1851 census showing Martha age 16, her sister Mary was born County Down.  Mary died in 1894 age 79.  I have confirmed that  John McBlain father of Mary and Martha  was born Ireland died in Cambuslang 29.12.1860, buried in Rutherglen. (cotton weaver)  Jane McRoberts his wife died 28.3.1872 aged 79 in Glasgow. Can confirm that John McBlain's parents are William McBlain (stonemason) and Mary McAllister.
Thank you for the information re Dorothy Piggot.  Was her father as suggested previously William Jackson Piggot a historian?  Can you tell me anything more about him. It is interesting how a wee rumour over the years in a family can be confirmed.  My ancestors are Mary McBlain and John Robertson.

Mirrin

Offline Murray Tosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
Yes Mirrin,her parents were William Pigott and Elizabeth Sharp Tosh (aka Mackintosh). She died in 1963, and you can find details on Ancestry. Pigott was a minor landowner, who lived at Manor House in Dundrum, and he did a lot of fmaily history research. Another sister, Agnes, died in 1897 in Chelsea Massachusetts, the wife of William Brown, a carpenter born in Ireland, who died in Chelsea later the same year. Jane McBlain might have married Robert Moore, but I haven't pursued that.
If you send me an email address, I can give you chapter and verse on Dorothy's parents and Scottish grandparents, and a little on her sister and her aunt Jane Tosh/Johnston.

Murray

Offline Murray Tosh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry, lapse in concentration. Dorothy's aunt was Helen Tosh, who married Samuel Johnston. Dorothy appears to have been one of 8 cousins.

Offline Galtymore

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 June 19 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Came across this discussion by chance
I am interested in the Jackson family whom William Jackson Pigott's mother came from
They were living in my local area in co. Tipperary.
William Pigott lived here for a while before relocating to Dublin and Dundrum co. Down
This branch of the Jacksons died out and as far as i know there are no relatives left
Might be of interest to you

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 24 June 19 12:56 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01nyo/ Estate: Jackson (Tincurry)
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 June 19 13:17 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.