Author Topic: Rose of Clava  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rose of Clava
« on: Tuesday 21 June 11 15:38 BST (UK) »
Can anyone identify the Alexander Rose of Clava whose daughter Elizabeth is said to have married Alexander Mackenzie (7th) of Davochmaluach in 1695 (date of contract)? He was my 7G grandfather and I'd like to find his forebears.
Thanks.
Regards,
Jamie.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rose of Clava
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 09:25 BST (UK) »
The problem of going back that far is confirming and veryifying relationships

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 09:34 BST (UK) »
Of course - and besides, I now see that Clava seems to have been a title held by the heir apparent to Kilravock - but there is no sign of an Alexander at the appropriate time.

Could all be a mistake/guesswork/fiction!

Regards,
Jamie.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just done a simple search of the NAS online catalogue - search terms were:

where any field contains the word or phrase alexander rose of clava; dates between 1670 and 1750

Six records came up. it might be worth you following them up - I can't give a direct link to the listing but this is the online catalogue link:

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again

The name Hugh Rose of Clava has come up in my subsequent searches. here is a quote from one entry:

Charter by James, Bishop of Moray, to Alexander Rose, younger of Clava, lawful son of Hugh Rose of Clava and Jean Innes, his spouse, of the kirk lands of Daldowhaugh and others in the barony of Ardclach, which were resigned by the said deceased Hugh Rose. The Charter contains a Precept of Sasine directed to David Rose, burgess of Inverness, and is dated at Elgin, 8th April 1679. It is signed by the Bishop and the members of his chapter.
[Although listed here this document is not in the National Archives of Scotland having been either destroyed or badly damaged in a flood at Moy Hall]

Dated  8th April 1679 NAS Ref - GD176/579

It might be that Alexander was the son of Hugh Rose

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 June 11 10:17 BST (UK) »
and another one:

Instrument of Sasine, dated 14th May 1684, of Alexander Rose, now of Clava, in the lands of Cantradoun [Cantraydoune], Dellagramich and Drumtenvell in the barony of Clavalg, also in the lands of Clavalg, Dellroy [?Dalroy], Drumoir [Drummuir] and Easter Urchell [Urquhill] in the barony of Clavalg and shire of Nairn, proceeding upon a Crown precept from Chancery, narrating his service as heir-male of the deceased Hugh Rose of Clava, his father, which states that he is of lawful age, and was married before his father's death. The precept is dated at Edinburgh, 6th May 1684. Sasine is given by Sir Hugh Campbell of Calder [Cawdor], knight, as bailie, and among the witnesses are Archibald Campbell, second lawful son of the said Sir Hugh, Mr. George Dunbar, subdean of Moray, James Rose in Cantradoun, and others.
[Although listed here this document is not in the National Archives of Scotland having been either destroyed or badly damaged in a flood at Moy Hall]

NAS Ref - GD176/608      Date - 14th May 1684

gnu

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm so sorry, I had no idea anyone had responded to my question. Thank you so much for your several ideas, I'll follow them up.

I'm most grateful.
Jamie.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 16:34 BST (UK) »

I'd totally forgotten this but glad that it might be useful,even after all this time.

:D

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
LOL, it's never too late!