Author Topic: Rose of Clava  (Read 3971 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rose of Clava
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Well, they're not going anywhere and it looks as if Alexander's parents might well be Hugh Rose of Clava and Jean Innes.

It would be worth doing some more searches in the NAs online catalogue:

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 17:24 BST (UK) »

It might be that Alexander was the son of Hugh Rose

gnu

The 1st February 1881 edition of the Bannfshire Journal mentions in an item relating to 1669, Alexander Rose, 2nd son of Hugh Rose of Clava, late provost.

Also, the 9th January 1904 edition of the Inveress Courier has:
. Anne Rose of Clava, who married Hugh Rose of Coulmony, resided Culdoicb, on the other side of the river. In May 1746 she wrote my ancestor. Alexander Rose of Culbase, who married Elizabeth Rose of Coulmony,   
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
Is there anything on Hugh Rose and Jean Innes, SM. As that is what it says in the NAS records that I found so long ago?

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Barnbarroch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
It seems like it but I haven't nailed anything conclusive yet. It doesn't help the the Scottish Archives Web site seems to be frozen!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 18:08 BST (UK) »
Oh dear -I hope storm Ali hasn't arrived in Edinburgh yet as they're threatening us with it too.

The online catalogue does play up sometimes.

It might be worth doing a google book/journal search or even trying Scotlands People just in case.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
The young lady was married on or before the 4th of February 1702 on which day her father granted a bond at Edinburgh for 9000 merks, as " the tocher promitted by me to Sir Alexander Mackenzie of Coull, with Mistris Margaret Rose, my daughter, and John Mackenzie, eldest son to the said Sir Alexander, upon the marriage entered into betwixt them." On the 9th of December 1702, Sir John Mackenzie of Coul! " grants to have counted with and discharged the Laird of Kilraoke" for that sum due " to the deceased Sir Alexander Mackenzie, my father."

The affairs of the family of Hay of Park and Lochlay had now come to a crisis, and the broad lands, their inheritance for many centuries, were to be sold. The following' contract partly explains the footing upon which they were purchased by the Laird of Kilravock. Duncan Forbes, who wrote it, was his uncle-in-law, having married Mary. another of the daughters of the godly house of Innes.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
This Kilravock was five times married, and very happy in virtuous and good Ladies. His first Lady was Margaret Campbell, eldest daughter of Sir Hugh Campbell of Calder and Lady Henriette Stuart, daughter of James Earl of Muray and of Lady Margaret Home, daughter of the Earl of Home. Kilravock married this Lady on the 19th of October 1683, and she died in the year , having brought him a son, Hugh, and two daughters, viz., Margaret, married to Sir John Mackenzie of Coul, and Mary, married to Mr. Duncan Forbes, Advocate, (and afterwards Lord Advocate, President of the College of Justice, and Laird of Culloden,) to whom she bore John Forbes now of Culloden.

Kilravock's second Lady was Jean Fraser, only child of Mr. James Fraser of Brae. He married this Lady in the year , and she died in the year [1699,] leaving only one surviving child, viz., Mr. James Rose now of Brae, Commissary of Inverness, and Sheriff' Substitute of the county of Nairn, who, in the year 17 , married Margaret Rose, daughter of John Rose of Braidley.

After the death of Jean Fraser, Kilravock, in the year 1699 , married Magdalen Cuthbert, daughter of George Cuthbert of Castlehill and Magdalen Fraser, daughter of James Fraser of Brae. This Lady died in the year  having brought Kilravock two daughters, viz., Magdalen, married to Mackenzie of Davochmaluac, and Jean, married to Alex'- Robertson of Glasgowego, Provost of Aberdeen.

About the year 1704, Kilravock married Elizabeth Calder, daughter of Sir James Calder of Muirton, and of Grisel Innes, daughter of Sir Robert ....

KiLR. XV.] OF KILRAVOCK. 383

Innes of Innes. By this Lad}-, Kilravock had a numerous issue, but thev
all died in their infancy, except a daughter, Margaret, married in the year
1730 to Mr. Charles Campbel, son of Sir Archibald Campbel of Clunes.
Elizabeth Calder died 31 March 1728.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.