Author Topic: o'neills in Rakaia NZ  (Read 28148 times)

wayboy2

Re: o'neills in Rakaia NZ
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 06:33 BST (UK) »
Hi J

The child "Benjamin Leeson" son of Benjamin and Elizabeth O'NEILL, was born on 1st February, 1891, born at Killinchy, Ellesmere, Canterbury, Baptism 15 Feb 1891 sources church register at Christchurch public library.
If the military records the same birth date the mystery will be solved.
Am unable to check the records in the Christchurch Library due to earthquqke damage.

Rgards Wayne

Offline jck1103

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 08:42 BST (UK) »
hi wayne thank you for the info am still waiting for leslies grandson to get back to me on his grandfathers date of birth it may be on the gravestone i hope  :-\  strange how one thing leads to another ! lu gave me a link to nz newspapers which has been fascinating and i found my step fathers enlistment in 1939 in wellington must admit bottom lip went when i read it he was a big part of my life and died in 1986 when i was 5 months pregnant with my daughter, who is now 38 weeks pregnant herself !!  :D so if i go quiet it means the little ankle biter has arrived ! am feeling like everything is a waiting game at mo  :(

regards jacky

Offline jck1103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 08:54 BST (UK) »
hi beg

its all a bit puzzling at mo thank you for your imput have so much info to trawl through but holding back in case leslie and benjamin leeson are not the same person. my gut instinct is that they are but would look like a real twit if im wrong   :) uk marriage certs only give the fathers name and occupation leslies is down as leslie benjamin farmer  :-\ but there are mistakes often made on the day i have them in my own family tree. there is no info on mothers. also our birth records only give childs name, year and area whereas yours gives parents names which is so much more helpful. hopefully the army records will be available soon or his grandson barry gets back to me with a birth date. Barry remembers his uncles ? cousins ? coming over here during the second world war and carrying him on their shoulders through romford market he seems to think they were in the navy but thats all he can remember, he went into the navy himself and has been to all over the world. anyway onward and upward  :)

regards jacky

Offline jck1103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 08:56 BST (UK) »
hi lu

you,re right mothers names are not recorded on marriage certs bit of a cheek i think !!  :)

regards jacky

Offline jck1103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 12:44 BST (UK) »
hi lu

am bit frustrated  ??? can you advise please

have requested digitised record for leslie benjamin o'neill from archway and not got anywhere  :(  1st request was 27th june any ideas ?

leslies birth date is not on his headstone unfortunately, but he died in 1962 aged 71 which would make his birth year c1891. 

where do i go from here ?

thanks jacky

Offline jck1103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
hi lu

just realised have been looking in the wrong place for a reply from archway what a plank !!

they have replied to me but they want $25 for the information, at this point in time i dont really want to pay that amount as all i am interested in is the birth date, have you any suggestions ?

thanks jacky

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacky

Was just in the process of answering your first message  ... pushed a wrong button and lost the lot !   Aaagghh !

I can't believe Archives are asking you to pay $25 !!!     ::)
[Their website message is soooo misleading regarding these army records.]

Don't worry though, I'll order the file for you from this end (it doesn't cost a bean).   :)

~   Lu 

Offline jck1103

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 13 July 11 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi lu

Thank you so much am almost sure leslie is benjamin leeson just need it confirmed by birth date that wayne gave me

regards jacky

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 20 July 11 04:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacky

Just to let you know that Leslie Benjamin's Army file is now available for viewing / downloading, at the Archives website.   ;)

http://archway.archives.govt.nz/

~  Lu