Author Topic: Plimer & Plimmer - mostly Aston & Birmingham  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Plimer & Plimmer - mostly Aston & Birmingham
« on: Tuesday 21 June 11 19:35 BST (UK) »
Just joined the board today, and wanted to mention that I'm researching the Plimer line appearing mainly in the Aston and Birmingham areas. I have quite a bit, but am always interested in more, and of course supplying what I have to those interested.

I'd like to hear from anyone following this family.

Also, I'd like to hear comments on the one "m" or two business. It seems that far enough back (18th cent, early 19th) the spelling was Plimmer, but in my line it was Plimer in the mid-19th cent. But then reverted for many to Plimmer by the end of the 19th cent.

My questions:

Do these spellings represent the way the family actually spelled the name at the different times, or are they mainly recording and transcription preferences and errors of the various officials concerned with BMD records and censuses, or is it impossible to know?

Is the name generally pronounced with a long or a short "i"? The only pronunciation I ever heard in the family (my paternal grandmother's maiden name was Plimer) was with the short "i". I'm wondering whether the apparent trend towards the double "m" spelling reflects a desire to "force" the short "i" pronunciation.

Offline PatriciaHug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Plimer & Plimmer - mostly Aston & Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 February 17 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Just joined RootsChat after seeing your post.
My Plimmer family originally came from Leighton, Shropshire.  The first mention is the baptism of James Plymore, son of Thomas and Susanna his wife at the Parish Church, St Mary’s, on 22 April 1664.  The Leighton Registers for the period 1539 to 1661 were not found.  It is possible that Thomas and Susanna were from Leighton and had other children before James.  Between 1685 and 1707 James Plimer and his wife Mary had at least 7 children, initially recorded as Plimer and then Plimmer. Their son John Plimmer, baptised 10 June 1704 and his wife Hannah had 8 children between 1728 and 1749, all baptised as Plimmer.  Their son Thomas, baptised 23 August 1730 married Mary Matthews, both of the parish of Leighton, on 7th June 1752 at St. Alkmund, Shrewsbury, Shropshire. They had 2 children. Mary died in 1757. Thomas [entered as Plymouth] then married Rebekah [entered as Rebecca] Jones in the Church of Holy Trinity in Much Wenlock, Shropshire on 29 November 1763. They had 7 children between 1764 and 1781.  Their son Thomas, baptised 31 January 1773 married Susannah Moore at St Cassian’s Church, Chaddesley Corbett, Worcestershire on 17 January 1803.  They had 7 children between 1804 and about 1820.  Their last daughter Ann, born about 1820 was my great great grandmother.  Their 4 daughters, Susannah, Martha, Hannah and Ann all ended up living at Aston or nearby.  It seems that most of the time the name was spelled Plimmer, but occasionally a Plimer crept in.