Author Topic: Dallow  (Read 5738 times)

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dallow
« on: Tuesday 21 June 11 19:57 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in hearing from those researching the Dallow name in the 19th cent. in and around Fownhope.

Here's the story so far: my G grandfather was called Thomas Dalley by the time he shows up in Cardiff, marriage in 1878 to Bessie Westacott (b1855) from Swimbridge, Devonshire. Shows in 1881 and 1891 Wales censuses in Cardiff, and died in Cardiff in 1897.

In one census he's shown as being born in Fownhope. Fownhope was a very small place, a few hundred, I think. The only reasonable match I can find is a Thomas Dallow born in Fownhope in 1854, and he shows up in the 1861 and 1871 censuses living in Fownhope with widowed mother Ann Dallow. In 1881 Thomas Dallow disappears from the census and Thomas Dalley appears with the appropriate background. I think these entries are the same person.

Ann Dallow has very inconsistent birth years in the censuses in which she appears, but usually being shown as born in Woolhope, very small and very close to Fownhope.  I don't know her maiden name, but have sent for Thomas Dallow's birth cert., which is in the mail - mail strike here in Canada  :( I'm hoping this certificate will reveal the father's name, and possibly the mother's maiden name.

Dallow seems to be an obscure name with very few researching it, or at least that's my impression.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dallow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 June 11 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hiya Cardano
www.familysearch.org  - then click on search - then click on Familysearch Record Pilot
births/christenings
Dallow
Herefordshire
315 records....quite a few are repeated ....I haven`t searched through the 13 pages of records - but 1762 seems to be the earliest in
Little Dewchurch,Herefordshire ..so see how close that is to Fownhope....may be related somewhere along the line
allan.......good luck ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 June 11 08:22 BST (UK) »
Thomas Dallow
christened 7th May 1854 at St Peters ,Hereford,Herefordshire
father Thomas Dallow
mother Caroline ........don`t get confused with this Thomas for future reference.....your Thomas `s mother was ANN - But, don`t discard this christening ...it IS possible for Caroline to have died and Thomas remarried an Ann when Thomas was a baby - hence Ann is his mother in later census returns....not trying to confuse you, just letting you see the possibilities
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 June 11 08:29 BST (UK) »
Fownhope christening
no date  1747 Elizabeth Dallow parents John and Elizabeth Dallow
5th April 1752 Richard Dallow - parents John and Elizabeth Dallow
3rd october 1762 Sarah Dallow - same parents

George Charles Dallow 3rd April 1859 - parents Thomas and Ann Dallow

so - 5 years between Elizabeth and Richard - 10 years between Richard and Sarah....I would think there are probably 10 children to this couple...but if John was an Ag Lab.....a farm labourer...he moved around to other villages following the work..........
allan

Offline Cardano

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thomas Dallow
christened 7th May 1854 at St Peters ,Hereford,Herefordshire
father Thomas Dallow
mother Caroline ........don`t get confused with this Thomas for future reference.....your Thomas `s mother was ANN - But, don`t discard this christening ...it IS possible for Caroline to have died and Thomas remarried an Ann when Thomas was a baby - hence Ann is his mother in later census returns....not trying to confuse you, just letting you see the possibilities
allan

Today I received the birth record I'd ordered just before the mail strike started here in early June. Alas, it's for this Thomas, not "my" Thomas. This leaves me at a bit of a dead end, because this birth date was the only one even close for a Thomas Dallow born in Herefordshire in the period 1854 to 1856. In other words, I'm lacking sufficient information to order another birth record. This now adds Thomas to his two brothers, Charles, born about 1844 and William born about 1845, according to census records, for whom there doesn't seem to be a birth record. There's also no birth record for the youngest, Mary Ann, born about 1856.

I've also established that the candidate marriage I was looking at in 1842 is for the parents of this Thomas, not for Ann Dallow. One possibility is that there was a previous husband, and that the children's names were given in the census as Dallow, the name of the 2nd husband. Of course, this is only one possible explanation for the children not being in the official birth records. It would also explain, though, why there's no trace of any of this family in the 1851 census.     

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 08:39 BST (UK) »
Does your Mary Ann Dallow marry Frederick WEllington on 30 Jun 1878 at Fownhope?  If so, perhaps it would beworth getting her marriage cert to see what she puts for her fathers name.

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 08:46 BST (UK) »
Also, looking at the 1881 census, I suspect that THomas' mother was actually called Mary Ann so could come up on documents as Mary, Mary Ann, Ann etc

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 14:17 BST (UK) »
Christening Familysearch Pilot;
John Charles JONES, 10 Aug 1845, Fownhope With Fawleye, Hereford
Parents JOSEPH Jones and ANN
+
WILLIAM Jones 05 Sept 1847, same Parents

Now in 1871 Census William is down as Jones and Anns Son.
FreeBMD also has several possible Mary Ann Jones born c 1856 reg Hereford

More questions than answers sorry :P
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 15:32 BST (UK) »
Looks like your on to something Spidermonkey :)
1881 Census
Fownhope, Herefordshire
RG11/2589/10/11
Mary A. DALLOW, 63, Head, Widow, born Woolhope
Mary A. WELLINGTON, 24, Daug, Mar, born Fownhope
Mary Ann Wellington, 3mths,  Granddaug, born Fownhope    
Frederick Wellington, 30, Son in Law, Ag Lab, born Blakeney, Glous
Charles CRESSWELL, 13, Boarder, Farm Boy, born Ross
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)