Author Topic: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscommon  (Read 36707 times)

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscommon
« Reply #27 on: Friday 06 September 13 19:50 BST (UK) »

Hello John ,
Believe these are yours

Church Marriage McGreal Mary 1877 m Cafferky John 1877 LOUGHGLYNN Co. Roscommon
Civil Marriage McGreal Mary 1878 m Cafferky John Ballaghadreen CP  Co Roscommon
Name: John Cafferky            Mary McGreal
Address: Curraghsallagh      Whitestown
Father    Patrick Cafferky        Peter McGreal
Mother   Honor Gordon          Catherine Finnegan
Witness Andrew McCann        Eleanor McGreal

Briarfield tends to be written out of most of the townland records for the area but those familiar with the area still recognize its existence despite it being lumped in with Curraghsallagh.

Offline John Martin Burke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscommon
« Reply #28 on: Friday 06 September 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
What a pleasant surprise.  Your very prompt response has filled in many details of the Cafferkey side of my family tree. 
Thank you.
John Martin Burke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 19 October 13 23:56 BST (UK) »
Dear Cafferkey,
It is exciting to know that we are related.  My grandmother Catherine Cafferkey O'Connor was the daughter of John Cafferkey and Mary McGreal, and the sister of Martin ( and Michael and John and Mary Ann).  My family records tell me that Martin married Kate Moran and that they had at least three children ( Mary Ann, John and Nellie).  My family and I visited Nellie at her home in Briarfield (Lisacul) some years ago.  When we got to her house, she opened the door and I made the mistake of saying, "Mrs. Cafferkey ?"  She bristled a bit and corrected me by saying that she was, "MISS Cafferkey".  But she invited us in and immediately offered us a "taste" of Irish hospitality.  Nellie and my mother (Elizabeth) had always been very close, so Neliie was very happy to meet me and my wife and children.  We exchanged Christmas cards and letters for several years afterwards, but then her letters stopped.  I feared that she had passed on.  But a recent visit from some additional Irish family assured me that she was still alive and well and in a nursing home.
I live in Des Plaines, Illinois, and I hope that we get a chance to meet some day.
John Burke     

Moderator Comment: Telephone number removed to protect privacy. Please use Personal Message system to exchange details.

Offline cafferkey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 November 13 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

My dad is micheal, son of martin and Catherine, I was over earlier this year, and saw my aunt Nellie, she is in a home in ballaghdereen at the mo, she had a fall last year and broke her hip.

If you go to the ancestry web site and search cafferkey/cafferty, you will find the tree I have put together on the cafferkeys, , my dad changed our name in the 60's to cafferty in the uk...but most of my uncles and aunt Nellie are still cafferkeys...

this year, I was over in Belgium, and found the grave of your grand mothers brother, @ ypres, he died in the great war,

martin had 7 children in all, my dad being one, and Nellie, we live in Birmingham uk, hope to hear fromyou, sorry about delay getting back, lost loggin details and been away with work...

Martin Cafferty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 21 December 13 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Martin,
I received your message of 14 November re. your visit with Nellie and your visit to the grave in Ypres.  I replied immediately, but now I can find no record of my message to you.  Did you receive that message in which I commented on Nellie and John and your family tree?
John Martin Burke

Offline moa10022

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 19:44 BST (UK) »
Cunninghams built the house across the road where Anthony's old house was.