Author Topic: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscommon  (Read 36710 times)

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscommon
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cafferkey,

From what I can see there are three Peter McGreal's in the Loughglynn/Lisacul area around 1850's.Two are in Driney and Cuiltyboe which are on the Loughglynn side and the member My Luck may have more info, and a Peter based in Currohopuile(Corracoggil) North which would have been centered on the area close to the current Christ the King Church, which is a few miles  distance from Curraghsallagh.

The Curraghsallagh McGreal was Owen(Eugene) McGreal born around 1816. I must confess I have not exhausted searches for this line as my interests in the McGreal line have taken a broader examination of the McGreal/McGrail families at the expense of my own line.

From  what I am aware from Docs is Mary Cafferkey married a Michael McGreal 26 Jan 1891 fathers are noted as Eugene McGreal and Mark Caffekey on the Church record and Owen McGreal and Martin Cafferkey on the Civil Document.Witnesses on both are Martin McGreal and Catherine Cafferkey.

Michael McGreal Died 22 Dec 1897 and Mary was left with four young sons. The sponsors on the baptisms are consistent as being Thomas Duffy,Eugene McGreal, Catherine Cafferky, Mary McGreal,and John Cafferky.

By 1911 two of the sons Michael and James had moved to England and were living with a James and /Bridget Cafferky a brother and sister, who were uncle and aunt to the young McGreal brothers. John a third brother appears in Manchester as a witness to his brother James marriage
in Feb 1920 to a Mary Blood.The Cafferky's ran a Grocers in North Manchester which James continues after their death. James appears to marry again on the death of Mary to his Sister in law Catherine.

The name Nellie or Winnie Cafferkey does ring a bell as she often played host to the families of Patrick McGreal and Catherine Dwyer the fourth brother who remained in Curraghsallagh,when they came home to Lisacul. If we are on the right track the surnames Rush, Kilheeney and Butler would be familiar to your aunt.

It is possible the Peter you refer to was a brother to Owen and part of a larger family unit originating from Curraghsallagh.

Your aunt may also know of the one remaining McGreal family in the Lisacul area which I believe is unconnected to those from Curraghsallagh.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Padraig McGreal

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cafferkey/Cafferky/Cafferty currasallagh Near Lisacul Ballaghdereen Rosscommon
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 February 13 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I don't have more to add as my connection is by marriage I did not explore further

I was interested though to hear of Cafferkeys in Manchester as my grandfather's youngest brother and sister both with to the UK; one before 1911 one after. Andrew was in Manchester in 1911 and went on to serve and die in WW1; I always found it interesting that when my father went to the UK almost 30 years later he went to the exact same area and almost the same street to live; I know there are ties between communities but I had always hoped to find some family link that would help locate some of the missing relatives. Do you know where in Manchesters the Cafferkeys were located?
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 February 13 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colette,

From the UK 1911 Census the address would be 24 Garrett St, Oldham Road, Manchester. The same address is given on James marriage cert to Mary Blood in Feb 1920. I have not obtained death certs for James and Bridget Cafferky but from indexes of best matches 1912 for James and 1949 for Bridget look possible.

The McGreal from subsequent material appear to be associated with the Moston area of Manchester.

Pat

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 February 13 17:40 GMT (UK) »
My grand-uncle Andrew was at 1043 South Trafford Street with a family named LANE
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 February 13 00:05 GMT (UK) »
That would have been central Manchester Colette.

As for the initial query I've taken a longer look at it and having problems with the Peter McGreal and Catherine Finnegan.

I am also unsure of the Cafferky connection to Roscommon given what Martin has already detailed online.

John Cafferky married to a Mary McGreal was born to a Patrick Cafferky and Mary Gordon(Gordan) in Kilmovee. I was unable to find any baptismal details for John or his brother Patrick from the Kilmovee records. However I have found the baptismal details for Thomas and two sisters Bridget and Maria all of which indicate the townland of residence as Aghadiffin,Kilmovee,Mayo which are all post 1856 the birth of John which should help with townland of origin.

The proximity of Aghadiffin to Curraghsallagh should not exclude a family connection of the various Cafferkys in the two townlands but will be difficult to establish. From what I could see there were four Patrick Cafferkys in Aghadiffin married and having children at the same time which would indicate well established roots and extended families in the area.

As for Peter and Catherine , if you have a source for the marriage details that could help. Finnegan is not a name I have found common to Kilmovee or Lisacul. From my own links to the area my Grandmother was a Finnegan from Urluar an adjoining townland to Aghadiffin and she is buried in the old Monastery Cemetery though her connection is on my maternal line. It is possible the marriage would have possibly done in her parish ,

Pat.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 February 13 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pat
The Cafferkey connection had helped me locate my gggparents as Anne was living with them for both census; my aunt had told me of her Cafferkey cousins when I was a child and although I can't remember all the details the name stuck with me as usual - she always pronounced it with three distinct syllables of CAFF-ERR-KEY
I have so many stories from this side of the family that just don't add up!! There were people I was told we were related to and I just can't find the link or the records!!

modifed to add OR THE TIME!!
Further generations:

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 February 13 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colette,

There was certainly a concentration of Cafferkey families(various spellings) in Curraghsallagh and Aghadeffin and isolated births in townlands around Loughglynn and as far as Cloonamna in Kilmovee for the period 1850s to 1880s. The spelling would have depended on the ear of those registering the life events. I am convinced there is a connection to the Lafferty families of the area given the similarity in the written form of the name.

There was a School reunion publication in August 1997 for the Lisacul and Curraghsallagh schools and there are some references to  some Cafferkey people contained therein. I anticipate with the Gathering there will be a number of other publications which may or not have additional info. I have the names of a number of contributors though no contact details to the 1997 doc which I can pm you . A letter to one of the local priests may enable contact if they are still around.

As for the Cafferkey under discussion, it appears a marriage in 1877  between John Cafferkey and Mary McGreal took place. John was indeed living in Curaghsallagh but Mary was not from Curraghsallagh but Feigh(Whitestown) Lisacul. From what I understand the last McGreals of this line in Lisacul Michael died in 1970 and his wife Elizabeth in 1971 . Their children Mary(aka Maureen) John,Joe, Margaret,and Paddy are all deceased and Theresa as far as I know is living in Sandymount,Dublin. (Details provided by a member of Maureen family)

Catherine Finnegan could possibly be the daughter of one of the Finnegans from Rusheens west,kilmovee.

signing off for some R & R

Pat

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 February 13 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Had a good look at my Cafferkeys
John and Anne married in 1891 and John's father was Cormac CAFFERKEY

CORMACK was born 1826 to James and Brigid FINAN Tibohine and bap. Aug 09 Loughglynn
and died Aug 1892 and is buried in Loughglynn; address given as Driney
He married Eleanor MADDEN in Ballaghadereen Parish (which could still be Loughglynn) on Feb 10 1850

John CAFFERKY was baptised Jun 16 1856 in Loughglynn and had at least three sisters
Mary 1851, Anne 1954 and Catherine 1856

Mary CAFFERKY married Francis CONNALLY of Cloontrask on Jun 12 1875 in Loughglynn
family on 1901 Census and 1911 census
Further generations:

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 February 13 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colette,

There were certainly a number of Madden families on the Lisacul side of the fence.

Not wishing to be too specific a Madden family post 1911 have a place in Curraghsallagh  and two brothers from this family have interests in Ballaghadereen one in construction and and the other was  (is) a bank manager in town. A Madden was also on the commt for the School reunion.