Author Topic: Thomas Thatcher and Mary Warren - Uffington Berkshire  (Read 17182 times)

Offline jt123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Thatcher and Mary Warren - Uffington Berkshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 05:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Orpheus and Ribbo!

Appreciate you taking the time to assist with this.

That "origins.net" site looks very useful - I will have to look at subscribing to assist with this line and other lines I am researching.
Does this web site just provide access to the indexes - or to the actualy copies of the wills as well?

Orpheus - thanks for sending through the list of wills for Uffington Thatchers from the BRO index.  I guess the ones for various Thomas's (1700's)and Richard (1736) would be the most useful?  Do you have any further info on any of those?  Otherwise - how does one go about ordering a copy of the wills from the BRO?

kind regards,

John

Thatcher - Uffington, Berkshire
Fortescue - Baulking, Bekshire
Harding - Cookham, Berkshire
Brown - Eastwick and Netteswell Essex
Swaffield - St Helier, Jersey
Limer - Uttoxeter, Staffordshire
Lade - Sussex
Appoo / Ah Poo - Bendigo Australia, China

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 06:21 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
I don't know about the contents from the "Origins" site, I suspect that if you pay
a subscription it will possibly only give you an indexed entry - not a copy of the
actual will. You could always contact them and ask . No doubt others more knowledgeable than me will be able to assist.

I've just noticed that you refer to the parish where Thos. Thatcher married  Mary Warren as Shillingford. My transcripts say Shellingford and also the year of marriage is listed as 1741.  Looking further in these records there are no baptisms for Thatcher and only one burial for a Mary Thatcher  27-1-1734. There are however  two additional marriages;
18-10-1742 Hannah Warren to Thomas Green
15-2-1753   Rebecca     "       to Richard Saunders
possibly these two "Warrens" may be sisters to your Mary but where they originated
from is not known.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Peter Thatcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 May 12 14:23 BST (UK) »
Do you realise that Thomas and Mary are ancestors of Sir Denis Thatcher (late husband of Baroness Thatcher (Margaret)?  I tend to agree with you that Thomas was most likely the one born 1717 in Sparsholt, but that would make him only 85 when he died not 90. His is the first Thatcher plaque on the wall of the porch of St. Mary's Uffington. It is said that Sir Denis has paid for a plaque to be added in memory of his wife after her death.
Peter Thatcher

Offline jt123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 June 12 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply!

Yes - I was aware of the connection - in fact that is how we first got so much information on the Thatcher line in Uffington - as we met up with John Little (a local historian) while visiting the town - who had been engaged by Denis Thatcher to help trace the family tree.  It was fantastic to see the various memorials to the Thaters on the wall of St Marys - I am sure Denis helped to preserve a lot of those.

I assume from your name that you may be related to the same family tree as well?

regards,

John
Lade - Sussex

Offline Peter Thatcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 June 12 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Yes, I can trace my family back to Ambrose Thatcher C1609 in Uffington/Woolstone, but further back is purely guesswork. I have been trying to find a connection between the Sussex Thatchers of Westham, Priesthawes and Ringmer to one known as Uffington Woolstone Thatcher who was married to Jone and died about 1575. They had three sons Richard, William and Oliver and Jone's will is available on line. One of their descendants Richard and his cousin also Richard emigrated to Pennsylvania about 1685 and one of them was granted land by William Penn. Anthony Thatcher son of Peter Thatcher of Queen Camel Somerset (Sussex family?) went to Massachusetts in 1635 and George Thatcher, my first cousin 3 removed emigrated to Utah in 1854.  Most of the US Thatchers are descended from one of these four and there is a common coat of arms, which suggest a connection with the Sussex Thatchers.  So many records have been lost, it is hard to ever find the connections.
Are you the related to Frederick and Hilda Thatcher?
I would like to make contact with your Uffington historian, maybe he has some answers.
Regards
Peter Ambrose Thatcher

Offline cello

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 August 12 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter and John

Sadly John Little died some time ago and I think that John probably had all the information that was available at Tom Browns School Museum in Uffington (which John Little was very involved in).

I have spoken to the Curator at the Museum and she doesn't think that there is any further information in the Museum.  However she did ask me if I could ask you if it was possible for the Museum to have a copy of the family tree for Denis Thatcher to put in the Museum.

The website is:
www.museum.uffington.net and the contact details are on the website.

I do go to the Museum irregularly and can look for any specific information you may be looking for if you let me know.

Kind Regards
Cello
White - South Marston (WILTS), Woolstone (BERKS)
Hathrill - Fernham (BERKS)
Wentworth - Little Bedwyn (WILTS), Uffington (BERKS)
Richings - Wotton-Under-Edge (GLOC)
de Jager - Groningen
de Jonge - Groningen
Smid - Groningen, Eindhoven
Werkhoven - Eindhoven

Offline jt123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Cello,

No worries - I will search through my notes and find Denis' family tree - and send them to the museum.

Thanks for your help - and kind offer for future assistance!

I have been touch with Peter Thatcher via email - we have been trying to tie the lines together.  It gets a bit patchy from my end of line ancestor (Thomas Thatcher) - but he has some good ideas - and we are currently trying to decifer some old Thatcher Wills.

regards,

John
Lade - Sussex

Offline Carol Thatcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  This I believe is my line, as I have a Richard Thatcher of Berkshire that came to America in 1685 on the Bristol Merchant.  I believe he was married to Jane Stevens and had at least two sons Stephen and Samuel who moved to Virginia (from PA).  Samuel's wife was Mary Wright and they had at least two sons Jonathan and Thomas.  Jonathan was married to Hannah Tharp.  And they had 11 children including Jonathan Wright Thatcher whom was my great great grandfather.  I would very much be interested in any information in relation to this line and am interested in finding any living relatives.  I'm in contact with my Thatcher first cousins and second and have found third cousins as well.  I have found Jonathan Wright Thatcher's will here:      https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-18231-19627-7?cc=1909099&wc=14030754
Thatcher - Uffington, Berkshire - Berkeley, VA - Martinsburg, WV - Kellogg, ID
Evan Thomas Jones - Bala, Wales - Ethel, Macon, MO
Black - Bourbon, KY - Ethel, Macon, MO - Kellogg, ID

Offline jt123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 02:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Thanks for your reply - seems like you are related to the same line of Thatchers as Peter Thatcher listed in a previous post?

If you contact him - he should be able to help provide further information on the line as he mentioned in his post?

regards,

John

Lade - Sussex