Author Topic: Where is Sarah Shepherd?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Where is Sarah Shepherd?
« on: Friday 24 June 11 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hello there!

Sarah Cooper married Joseph Shepherd at Colchester St Martin on 25 Jul 1793 by licence.

They had a number of children: Joseph 1794 / Mary Ann / 1796 / John 1798 and William 1799 are the only ones I have found.

Joseph died in January 1837 aged 67 and I have found a death announcement for him (which does not say if his wife survived him) and a number of auctions etc relating to his brewing business.  He was buried in St Botolph's parish and that was where he was resident at the time of his marriage and during the auctions etc in the 1830s, and at the time of his death.

I can however find no mention of his wife after the birth of William in 1799.

I would be grateful if anyone can help out with any information about other children or a burial (with age if I am lucky) or find her in the 1841/51??  I've failed on all of these!!

Many thanks in advance

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Sarah Shepherd?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 September 15 06:23 BST (UK) »
I didn't find Sarah, however the Congregational records of Stockwell Street are at the National Archives and not digitized on SEAX at the ERO.
I did find the will of Joseph' father, also Joseph Shepherd of St Botolph's Street Colchester. Written 5 June 1793 he died 30 March 1797 probate 8 April 1797.
He leaves everything to his wife Mary for her lifetime, then the business goes to his son Joseph.
His daughters Mary wife of William Maples of London-Glover, Ann wife of John Johnson of Colchester Victualler, Sarah wife of William Kidby of Maldon, Victualler and Susannah Day wife of Edward Austin the younger of Colchester, Gardener to get 20 pounds after their mothers death.
His brother John Shepherd and his sister in law Sarah Day spinster of Colchester are also mentioned.
He owned the public house known as The Greyhound on the east side of St Botolph's Street Colchester.

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 September 15 18:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks indeed for that - it helps expand the family a bit!

I presume that the family were non-conformist at one point as I have never found a baptism for Joseph who was born about 1770

All the best
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 September 15 06:14 BST (UK) »
I looked at the records St Botolph's Church Colchester, there is a gap in burials one book ends 29 October 1799 and the new one begins 7 March 1800.
Unless these burials are written in another register 6 months have been lost.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 September 15 07:40 BST (UK) »
I didn't find Sarah, however the Congregational records of Stockwell Street are at the National Archives and not digitized on SEAX at the ERO.

Stockwell Street Chapel registers have been available online for over 7 years, initially on www.bmdregisters.co.uk and latterly the company's subscription site www.thegenealogist.co.uk.  However, since about 2013 their period of exclusivity ended and they are viewable on ancestry (where they are listed as an independent chapel) and probably FindMyPast as they also have the non-conformist registers from the National Archives.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 September 15 08:57 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information - I'll take a look.

All the best