Author Topic: Missing person - Albert Leonard New  (Read 6285 times)

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing person - Albert Leonard New
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 September 17 00:58 BST (UK) »
I know years have gone by, and still searching for this Albert Leonard New.   As he was living with his Aunt and Uncle John New in Newbury just prior to their migration to Australia in 1911, we now think that maybe he changed his name and migrated with the family to Australia.   
Family members cannot find his death in England, yes it is possible that he went to War too, but guess we need 1921 census, may give us a better idea.
I am really looking for any other thoughts from Rootschat members.
Thank you all for your previous help.
New, Thorn, Bird, Ruffey, Bosley, Belcher- Newbury Berkshire
Haynes/Haines - Much Birch Herefordshire, Monmouth Wales
Kearn/Watkins- Llanllwchaiarn/Newtown, Wales, Tyberton, Herefordshire
Gwilliam - Monmouth Wales, Herefordshire
Collier, Jackson - Salford, Manchester Lancashire
Saunders - Middlesex, Devon
Benson - Edinburgh, Scotland
Callander - Falkirk, Scotland
Ambrose - Liverpool, Manchester Lancashire, Canada
Timms, Elliman - Oxfordshire, Warwickshire
Ellison - Manchester/Portsmouth Hampshir

Offline PurpleOwl333

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I know years have gone by, and still searching for this Albert Leonard New.   As he was living with his Aunt and Uncle John New in Newbury just prior to their migration to Australia in 1911, we now think that maybe he changed his name and migrated with the family to Australia.   
Family members cannot find his death in England, yes it is possible that he went to War too, but guess we need 1921 census, may give us a better idea.

A couple of ideas:

On the burial record for his son in 1905 there's an address given as 3 Castle View Cottages, Old Newtown Road, Newbury http://www.fnrcnewbury.org.uk/persondetails.asp?PersonID=5993 If this was a relative's address then he may have gone back there and perhaps be on the electoral roll.

Could he have remarried after the death of his wife?

Or perhaps, like my own New ancestors from Newbury, he headed for London. Searching for a burial there is fun!  ::)

Does Roy's marriage cert have him down as dec'd or give another occupation?

Hope this helps  :)
Laura

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 23:43 GMT (UK) »
If he died without family ( not sure if son would forgive him for shipping him off ) I am also always mindful that women in asylums may have also been torn from their family because they were having extreme menopausal issues.  or: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-2141741/Sent-asylum-The-Victorian-women-locked-suffering-stress-post-natal-depression-anxiety.html

Maybe nobody knew his middle name.  Not sure if this is one you'll ever prove & waiting for a descendant doesn't appear likely. Did you make contact with the son's family or is that YOU?
Not in the vicinity but this one is close to correct age ....but age could be off by a decade or more if person filling out forms had no idea.
Deaths Mar Q. 1969   ALBERT  NEW  87  BRENT   5A  356
Hopefully, as you say,  the next census will help you further....
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline stitchwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Creature of impulse with dodgy improbability drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 March 18 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Leslie Roy T New 1906 Apr-May-Jun Newbury Berkshire 2c 272

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/tree/746468/person/420067378044/media/e48e0e84-8520-4559-9254-a83695f46d6d is an image of Roy's emigration papers as a Home Child

In 1911 Roy is a visitor, aged 5, in the home of Thomas and Clara Goatley at 1 Riverside Cottages, West Mills, Newbury, Berks

An Ancestry user Dawnnew34 has a potential sighting of Albert in 1930 via the electoral roll:
1930 • Homestead, Liverpool Road, Bankstown, New South Wales, Australia, Occupation: Upholsterer
BUT there is a caveat that they aren't 100% sure it's the same person
HOWEVER a couple of other trees have Uncle John also dying at Bankstown NSW?

Any good to you?

Powell Barber Dyke Overton
Heywood Crimes Parsonage Hargrave Sheard Wild

Madness is hereditary, you get it from your children!

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 March 18 03:06 GMT (UK) »

A couple of ideas:

On the burial record for his son in 1905 there's an address given as 3 Castle View Cottages, Old Newtown Road, Newbury http://www.fnrcnewbury.org.uk/persondetails.asp?PersonID=5993 If this was a relative's address then he may have gone back there and perhaps be on the electoral roll.

Could he have remarried after the death of his wife?

Or perhaps, like my own New ancestors from Newbury, he headed for London. Searching for a burial there is fun!  ::)

Does Roy's marriage cert have him down as dec'd or give another occupation?

Hope this helps  :)
Laura

Laura, yes, several of our New family members went to London.   It is possible he re-married after his wife died, but trouble finding him, one of his nephews in Australia changed his name, after his marriage disintegrated, so who knows what happened to him.
However, Laura I am most interested to know which New family line you come down.   I come down the line of John New (Policeman)and Ellen Thorn from Newbury, first son Charles New b. 1854, then son Charles Edmund New b. 1876, (migrated to Australia 1912) and Edmund Walter New b. 1913 Australia.    Jan

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 March 18 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone, that is an interesting one, a possible death in 1969, thanks for that.   The information of a John Leonard New at Bankstown, we know about him, he comes from the other side of the family, a descendant of Daniel New, so no connection there for Albert.

We have information on Albert's son Roy New, as a Home Child, but have never ever found Roy's father's death.

Jan

Offline PurpleOwl333

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 March 18 20:50 GMT (UK) »

Laura, yes, several of our New family members went to London.   It is possible he re-married after his wife died, but trouble finding him, one of his nephews in Australia changed his name, after his marriage disintegrated, so who knows what happened to him.

;D ;D They don't make it easy for us do they.

However, Laura I am most interested to know which New family line you come down.   I come down the line of John New (Policeman)and Ellen Thorn from Newbury, first son Charles New b. 1854, then son Charles Edmund New b. 1876, (migrated to Australia 1912) and Edmund Walter New b. 1913 Australia.    Jan
My family line is Henry New b.1820 (m: Elizabeth Randall) Farm Labourer - His son Peter New b.1861 Platelayer for GWR (m: Annie Teel/Teal) - His son Leonard James New b.1894 Porter (my great-grandfather).

Just seen your last post. Have you looked for a death under his middle name? I'd been looking for Leonard's burial info for a while and thanks to a kind lady named Margaret efforts at Paddington Old Cemetery, she discovered what may well be him reg under James (which i hadn't even thought to check!)  ::) I'm just waiting to see if her boss lets her go to the archives to get more info so I can double check with age, informant etc.

Offline janjim

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 March 18 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Laura,
Are you aware of whether your family came from Ashbury, or Kingstone Winslow, Greater Faringdon when Henry was born in 1820.   In our tree, we have a Henry New b. 31.5.1789 at Ashbury.  Our family line goes back to Joseph Nue b. 19.5.1731 Ashbury, who married Jane Wallington.

Would be great to know if we are connected, maybe you have DNA test, as I have, and been very interesting to find family members.

Back to Albert Leonard New, there have been several family members searching, and I am sure they would have looked at Leonard as being his name.
Jan

Offline PurpleOwl333

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 March 18 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Laura,
Are you aware of whether your family came from Ashbury, or Kingstone Winslow, Greater Faringdon when Henry was born in 1820.   In our tree, we have a Henry New b. 31.5.1789 at Ashbury.  Our family line goes back to Joseph Nue b. 19.5.1731 Ashbury, who married Jane Wallington.
They came from the Kingsclere, Hampshire area going back to around the 1750's. I haven't got any further back than that.
Would be great to know if we are connected, maybe you have DNA test, as I have, and been very interesting to find family members.
I haven't as yet, but hubby and I are talking about it and looking into the different ones available, so hopefully get it done soon.
Back to Albert Leonard New, there have been several family members searching, and I am sure they would have looked at Leonard as being his name.
Jan
Okedoke, being a newbie at this I probably wasn't the best person to throw ideas out there  ;D ;D Hope you have success finding him  :)