Author Topic: Whittle - England  (Read 13049 times)

Offline emily_p

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whittle - England
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 April 12 03:02 BST (UK) »
My ggg grandmother was Jane WHITTLE born 1800 (perhaps St Miguel, Azores, or lived there). I have information that could link her paternity to a Samuel WHITTLE.
Jane married James Grant CHRISTIE in Maker, Cornwall 1814. James was a merchant mariner at least between 1814-1822, he was baptised in 1787 in Inveravon Scotland and died in 1822. He had connections to Lloyds Shipping in Portugal 1818, where their daughter was born circa 1817.

After James death  in 1834 she immigrated to Australia as the "wife" of James' brother Charles CHRISTIE.

I am trying to research Jane's history and this is a major brick wall. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your work on the WHITTLE name, Jan

Offline oliebarton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 July 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have a couple of Whittle's in my tree.

My grt gran x4 Ann Whitte born 1810 in Walton le Dale nr Preston married a Robert Hodson. They were Roman Catholics as she is buried the RC grounds in Ford Cemetery, Liverpool. Date of death 3rd of March 1873. Intrestingly her son John was lost on board the Royal Charter than sunk in 1859 off the coast of North Wales, that's what it says on her grave stone anyway.

Ann Whittles parents were a John Whittle born 1784 Walton le Dale and Esther Fishwick (another common Preston name I believe)

Im not sure if this helps with your tree or not but I thought I'd share it and perhaps it may link to somebody else's?

Thanks

Olie
Barton, Fletcher (Cheshire)
Goddard, Wright, Buckley, Hadfield, Wild (Derbyshire)
Hodson, Christian, O'Connoll (Lancashire, IOM)
Compstall, Chisworth, Glossop

Offline emily_p

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 July 12 23:18 BST (UK) »

Thanks for reply Olie, much appreciated.  I believe my Whittles may have come from Leicester ENG and went to the Azores, Portugal.  The information you have provided do not appear on any information that we have. My ggg grandmother Jane b circa 1798 married James Grant Christie in Maker, Cornwall 1814.  Their first child Mary Jane was born in Portugal circa 1817.  Regards, Jan

Offline AdamjHartley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I've been trying to research my family history on my mothers side, and came across not only this website, but also your research into the Whittle name itself.

My grandfather was a Whittle, originating from Bolton, who had two sisters named Alice and Edith, as well as a brother by the name of George.

If you are interested in more information please don't hesitate to contact.

P.S census records may show that he was married to a Martha (née McNally)

Kind regards and all the best

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 16:30 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was a Whittle from Leics but sorry I won't be able to help you as I don't know his first name .

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I've been trying to research my family history on my mothers side, and came across not only this website, but also your research into the Whittle name itself.

My grandfather was a Whittle, originating from Bolton, who had two sisters named Alice and Edith, as well as a brother by the name of George.

If you are interested in more information please don't hesitate to contact.

P.S census records may show that he was married to a Martha (née McNally)

Kind regards and all the best

First of all a warm welcome to Rootschat.Is your Alice Whittle one born in Bolton in 1919 and who died in 1997?I have an Alice Whittle who married my relative Henry Adams at Bolton in 1941.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Busy Bee Lee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 December 15 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Steve..I know that this is an oldish post and I hope that you may check back at some stage..My Whittle ancesters are related to yours very closely..Can you reply because I do have a bit of information that you may find interesting..all the best..Bev.x
Whittle, Truswell, Hensman, Smith, Heatley, Morley, Holliday

Offline Rachel Hamer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 10 September 17 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know this is an old post but was looking to do something similar for my partner (who is a whittle from Shaw, Oldham) as a bit of a gift.
I was just wondering how you got on and if there was anything you could share?

Rachel x

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel,
My grandmother was a Hamer and have the Hamers(Lancashire) from 1774. You may be interested in the Hamer side.
Going back to the Whittle family I have a Martha Whittle 1844-1881 from Harwood, Lancs who married James Hamer 1844-1904 from Tottington, Lancs.  Marthas' parents were John Whittle 1797- and Catherine Booth 1806-  .  siblings of Martha: Maria 1833-   , William 1844-1915, Levi 1849-1915 and Eileen 1852-    .
Don't know if any of this is useful to you, but if I can help let me know.

Steve
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy