Author Topic: barrholm childrens home, largs  (Read 33188 times)

Offline bubbles62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: barrholm childrens home, largs
« Reply #45 on: Friday 06 January 17 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi me and my brother was at a home in Largs I think it was Barholm I think from 1970 -1974  ish
Did it have a big hall where it had little cupboards where you clothes were and a bench round it ?

Offline Jock Nixon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 05:30 BST (UK) »
hi there

can you remember where it was or do you's have an address for barrholm.

Offline Jock Nixon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 05:34 BST (UK) »
I was in Barr Holme from 74-78 last time I went down there it had been turned into a dentist and believe there was doctors down stairs it flooded me with good and terrible memories

Offline Sharon1968

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 16 December 19 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I lived in Barrholm children’s home from 1976 till it closed in the 80’s I was the last child to leave it before it closed I was the only child in there for months Vi Cameron was the matron during my time there but I despised the place some really horrible people there

Offline Tommy G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 10 August 23 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon 1968 I remember you and your brothers. I was a resident in Barrholm with my older sister from March 1975 after it reopened after the fire, I was there until June 1982 when I was moved along the road to Clark House before being mover multiple times until I ended up in Redheugh in Kilbirnie.
I have been doing some research on my history and the town house in Irvine has been great for accessing items especially the stuff from the largs and Millport weekly news

Offline Tommy G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 10 August 23 11:25 BST (UK) »
Barrholm was built by the Clark family who owned the Mills, they built more than one home in Largs where they retired to. Barrholm was for children from the paisley area and opened in 1908 or there abouts. Lately it housed up to 26 young people and the matorn in charge was Vi Cameron who passed away years ago. In October 1974 there was a fire in the attic and closed for 6 months while repairs were completed. It reopened in March 1975 and filled up quickly. Most young people from the last group did not experience good quality of care, it closed late 1982 and was initially used as a holiday home for other residential units before it became and old folks home in the early 90s. In June 2023 it announced that it would close after 2 inspections concluded serious ussues