Author Topic: Nursing Home, The Butts, Warwick  (Read 12340 times)

Offline Jay48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Nursing Home, The Butts, Warwick
« on: Saturday 25 June 11 23:01 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know the full and correct address of this nursing home? In existence in the 1940s, not known when it opened and closed. Who owned/ran it? Did it remain a private nursing/maternity home after the NHS started in 1948, or join the health service?

The records have already been destroyed.

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Nursing Home, The Butts, Warwick
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 June 11 23:31 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry I don't have any answers but have you tried contacting Warwick Record Office? They may have documents relating to ownership of the property and such that might help.
http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/countyrecordoffice
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Jay48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 June 11 23:42 BST (UK) »
The response from Warks RO was that all records have been destroyed.

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 June 11 23:53 BST (UK) »
While the records from the Nursing Home may have been destroyed I'll bet there's other records such as trade directories, property deeds and such that could help you out.
Records that mention the Nursing Home rather than the Nursing Home records if that makes sense?

Warwick RO have a nasty habit of telling people that something is too difficult or not available or whatever just so they don't have to do anything/something. Which archivist you have the joy of contacting seems to make a difference.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
Don't know if it was you who posted on another site but found the following if not

Re: 1949 Maternity Home by Peter Ewer (Member 10111173) on 24-Nov-2003
Hello Angela, I have just found out that I was born at the Butts (31-10-1949)from my Birth certificate. I thought from what my Mom told me I was born in Hospital so I posted a Querry on the MB at GenesConnected, and someone provided this link.

Firstly, if you find out anything about the place and feel you could share it please get in touch, it would be nice to know.

Secondly, and this is ex
tremely tentative, for some reason I think my Mom worked there. I think I still have photos of a Float that was organised in aid of 'Friends across the World'. I will have a hunt and see if I can find them and see if there are any clues. But please don't build your hopes up, as they maybe from a later period when Mom was a Nurse, I will get back in touch when I have unearthed them.

All the Best

Peter
... more >>

Re: 1949 Maternity Home by G Mason (Member 10112355) on 12-Dec-2003
I don't know if you know much about Warwick but it was a walled town with four'gates' which are still there. Outside the wall running between the Northgate and the Easgate there was (years ago) a field which was a butts i.e. a place to practice archery. The road which runs where the field used to be is called The Butts and the house which was a nursing home is still there.

Al

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
What is so ironic is that it is literally just around the corner from the Records Office!

Offline Jay48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
I had spotted the question, but not the answer, and no it's not me. I've used Google maps to walk the road, but had no idea which building might have been the right one.

It's also very near the Collegiate Church of St Mary, which is where I was baptised! Nice to see the Zetland Arms has not changed its name.
Jay

Offline Al in Vane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 June 11 08:40 BST (UK) »
I have walked down the Butts a couple of times and also noted the Zetland Arms, if in the vicinity again I will try to remember to look for the right house.
May I suggest you Email the local Library, I find them usually quite obliging.
Al

Offline PFG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 September 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
I have a birth certificate in my collection for a birth on 17 November 1951.  The address is given as "3 The Butts, Warwick".