Author Topic: Naval and Military LAMBERT  (Read 21795 times)

Offline ThamesDitton

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Naval and Military LAMBERT
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 19:24 BST (UK) »
Well done, Valda - that's terrific.

Weston Grove aka The Newlands was rented by General Sir John Lambert in 1841 and he was still listed as occupant in the tithe apportionment 1843 but I hadn't hit on the possibility that Lydia his youngest sister and her husband were living with him and his wife there.

Caroline was unknown to me .  Robert Lambert the Executor will have been Capt Robert Lambert (1818 - 1891, 43rd Light Infantry) second son of General Sir John and named after the General's father Capt. Robert and also his elder brother, Admiral Robert.

More pieces in the jigsaw - thanks very much (Leanne - above contributor - will also be pleased.  Met her & husband here yesterday thanks to this forum)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

They may not have been living with the Lamberts. All the evidence points to Beaumont Street as their residence. The 1841 census doesn't give you that level of detail. All you actually know was that they were staying there on the night of the census.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThamesDitton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
That's true - I was being over-hasty and not thinking. 

Several  of the Lamberts had both a London house and a nearby country house, including General Sir John, and at least at the period of Catherine's diaries they were very frequently paying each other visits for dinner and staying over.

Offline Arizona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 02 September 13 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to these trees it was Charlotte Pigou

http://www.merchantnetworks.com.au/genealogy/web/pigou/pafg04.htm
http://www.egyptologie.be/amsterdam_crommelin_vanhoorn.htm

11th December 1799 St Marylebone Middlesex
Robert Lambert Esquire bachelor of the parish
Charlotte Pigou spinster of the parish
married by licence
Both signed
Witnesses Frederick Pigou and Sophia ?

Baptism

24th April 1803 St Marylebone, Middlesex born 26th March
John Lambert parents Captain Robert Lambert R N and Charlotte

Regards

Valda

I was very interested to read of the John Lambert b 1803 to Robert and Charlotte Lambert as he is one of several John Lambert's that are potentially my great great grandfather. I have traced "my" John Lambert and his family back to the 1841 census, but have not been able yet to positively confirm his marriage details or his parents. Is anything known of this John Lambert after his birth that might help me confirm or otherwise, any potential link to my John Lambert who was born circa 1801 in St Marylebone.
Many thanks for any help that can be given.

PS this is my first post - I hope I get it right.

Offline ThamesDitton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 11:14 BST (UK) »
There are many Lambert families and these may not be the Lamberts you are looking for.  Robert and Charlotte's infant son John did not survive more than a couple of months.  As a starting assumption, it would be likely that John was their second son and that an assumed earlier baby Robert (after his father and grandfather) also died, since there is no trace of him.  Charlotte died in 1818, Robert Stuart Lambert remarried in 1822 to a woman of 46 (Louisa Ann née Wyatt, widow Cobb)  and in his will no children of his own are mentioned.  He died in September 1836.

-----------
From Catherine Lambert's diaries (Catherine was the mother of Robert Stuart Lambert, who married Charlotte Pigou.  Some years are missing):
1803:  Sun 24 Apr went to London for the Christening of Dear Roberts Child for whom I stood Godmother with Mr Pigou and my Son John.

Wed 4 May .... heard from Robert a letter (?better?) account of his poor little Boy

Sun 26 Jun .....Heard from dear Robt his poor Child expir'd at 11 this Morning.

The Naval Chronicle Vol 10 by James Stanier Clarke
1803 pub J. Gold, 103 Shoe Lane London page 87
Obituary
On the 26th June, the infant son of Robert Lambert, Esq. of the Royal Navy, at his house in Somerset-street.

Robert and Charlotte had a London house at 40 Somerset Street.

Of Robert's brothers:

- Gen. Sir John Lambert x Jane Morant (m. 1816) produced a family; of their male children, the eldest John Arthur remained unmarried; the line of the second, another Robert, died out in about 1983,  another, George,  died aged 6.

- Capt. Henry Lambert was killed in naval action having just produced an infant who didn't live;

- Maj-Gen Samuel Lambert never married;

-Adm George Lambert x Katherine Cobb (m. 1822) produced a family of which the surviving members are now in Australia. 

Offline Arizona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 03 September 13 11:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your very quick response. Although negative  :'(, it helps me a lot as by eliminating the "possibles" it enables me to focus on the others as more probable.  Good luck with your book on the Naval and Military Lamberts, I look forward to reading it when it is published  :).

Offline Glenalta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 27 October 13 13:18 GMT (UK) »
I have just joined rootschat in order to join this conversation, which I stumbled across yesterday.

I am a Lambert living in Adelaide, South Australia. About 30 years ago my mother's car broke down near Auburn, a town approximately 100 kilometres north of Adelaide. As repairs would take a week, I went to collect my mother from relatives (on my father's side) living in Auburn. Uncle Alec, as we called him, was the brother of my grandfather, John Lambert, and I recall at least one other brother, Rowley Lambert. I expect all are now deceased. While there, Alec asked me if I knew how the Lambert family came to be living in the Auburn region, and then proceeded to tell me that an ADM Sir George Lambert was an ancestor who had been bequeathed land around Auburn, which was subsequently settled by his son, whom he described as a retired Lieutenant in the Royal Navy. It seems some of the ADM's memorabilia (swords and the like) had been handed down too, but Alec intimated that another forebear's fondness for alcohol had resulted in this being sold off. Pity!

Soon after returning to Adelaide I checked the ADM's credentials in the State Library, but it wasn't until a couple of years ago that I discovered something of his exploits, and those of his son VADM Rowley Lambert, through internet searches.

Understandably I found the earlier details of this conversation quite fascinating. I was unaware of the broader extent of the military Lamberts until yesterday. As a senior principal research scientist within the Australian Defence Department, it is astounding to discover so much military history in my ancestry, including the Australian aspects (Commodore of the Aust SQN, Lewis v Lambert case law). I was also unacquainted with the history associated with Weston House in Western Green, Thames Ditton. I deduced and looked up the now vacant area in Google Maps yesterday. I was last in London in 2010. I drove from Heathrow to Portsmouth where I worked for a week. Had I been aware of the Thames Ditton connection, I would certainly have stopped off!

I am naturally interested in anything else you may know, but equally am happy to provide any Australian information if it will assist. I have not kept in touch with the Auburn relatives and so am not sure of the current extent, but could make some effort to find out if it is of any value to you.

Offline ThamesDitton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 27 October 13 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Glenalta: delighted to read your post.  I will draw it to the attention of other Lambert descendants of Adm. George Robert Lambert in Australia, with whom I have been in touch these past eighteen months or so, and who have much of the Australian detail plus much of my research materials relevant to the UK end.  Two of them visited here in summer 2012 and took a look at Weston Green.  I hope that they will get in touch with you.

You might also like to read the recent local articles here:

http://residents-association.com/tdt_pdfs/spring2013.pdf  (George)

http://residents-association.com/tdt_pdfs/summer2013.pdf  (Rowley)

Offline Glenalta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 28 October 13 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Great read. Thank you!