Author Topic: Naval and Military LAMBERT  (Read 21799 times)

Offline Bowyer1814

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Naval and Military LAMBERT
« Reply #45 on: Monday 30 December 13 12:03 GMT (UK) »
My line is from George Robert Lambert (I only used the Bowyer name in a moment of panic - and got the year wrong!). His son, also George Robert, emigrated to Australia in the 1840/50s and married Mary Ann Hoskyn. Hope that helps

Offline ThamesDitton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 30 December 13 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Are you in touch with the other descendants of Admiral George L in Australia?  - I'll leave it to them to pm you if not.

Offline Cabarrus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am trying to find any pictures of Captain Robert Lambert (1818-1891), of Brandford Cottage, Thames Ditton, and his wife Alice Elizabeth and descendants for my research.

Is there anybody who could kindly help me? I would highly appreciate it!

Many thanks,

Cabarrús

Offline ThamesDitton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 10:53 BST (UK) »
According to the rates Valuation List 1880, a Capt Lambert occupied Blandford (not Brandford) Cottage Weston Green owned by Michael Abrahams.  He is probably i/d with Robert Lambert Capt 43rd Light Infantry, 2nd son of Sir John Lambert GCB (1772-1847) 

CAPT Robert LAMBERT (b.25 Oct 1818) married Alice Elizabeth SMITH 30 Jan 1868, and died 4 Aug 1917)
Children:
MAJ Robert LAMBERT (b.17 Sep 1873 d.19 Dec 1955)
married Henrietta Isabella LOWTHER (m.21 May 1898 d.31 Jan 1950)
Alice Mary LAMBERT (d.10 Jun 1939) married Henry Rodolph DE SALIS JP (m.9 May 1893 d.25 Feb 1936 suicide Leamington)
Bessie LAMBERT (b.9 Jun 1875)

Major Robert Lambert born on 17 September 1873 married Henrietta Isabella Lowther, daughter of George William Lowther and Mary Frances Alice Bingham, on 21 May 1898.  He died on 19 December 1955 at age 82.   He was Justice of the Peace (Shropshire), Captain 8th Hus, ret as Honour Maj, served Boer War.   Companion, Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.) 1900.

Child of Major Robert Lambert and Henrietta Isabella Lowther
    Alice Winsome Lambert was by her own statement 'the last of the Lambert family' whose papers, deposited in August 1984 by Mrs D Robertson of Llangollen, Clwyd (executor of Miss Lambert), via Shropshire Record Office, are now in the Surrey History Centre, Woking.  I went through them a couple of years ago. There are no photographs of that Capt Robert in the collection. 

Alice Winsome Lambert might have been 'the last' of that line of Lamberts (I have not traced her aunts), stemming from General Sir John Lambert, but the branch of the family stemming from Admiral George Robert lambert, Gen. Sir John's youngest brother, survives as the earlier posts in this thread testify.

Blandford cottage still stands under that name.

I would be most interested to know your part of the Lambert family history.

Offline Cabarrus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 16 October 14 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Thames Ditton,

Thanks for your kind message. I already had the information you've supplied, but appreciate it anyway.

As for "Blandford Cottage", thanks for the update, since I only found "Brandford"; typo, mistakes, misspellings and other errors are really recurring often, mostly in censuses.

I am interested in the pictures to illustrate part of my research, concerning a relative in Capt Robert T. Lambert's family. This relative is not linked by blood to the Lamberts.

From Captain Robert T. Lambert (b,1818), this branch is mainly Salopian, with some bifurcations in Yorkshire.
There are some letters written by Major Robert Lambert (b. 1873) and kept at the Shropshire Archives. These letters are connected to the Clive Family and other members, as the Lambert family from Ash Grove, Whitchurch, was well connected and acquainted with the local gentry. An example is as follows:

LETTER from [Capt.] R. Lambert, Ash Grove, Whitchurch, Salop, to Bridgeman.

Identity
Document Reference: 4629/1/1924/48
System Reference: X4629/a/1/1924/48

Details

Date: 1 November 1924
Repository: Shropshire Archives
Description: He thanks W.C.B. for what he [W.C.B.] wrote about him [R.L.] and for the copy of "The Passing Years".

This letter is addressed to William Clive Bridgeman, Viscount Bridgeman, politician and close friend to Robert Lambert. "The Passing Years" (1924) was written by Richard Greville Verney, another distinguished member of the Tory Party, as Bridgeman was.

As for my query about any pictures regarding Capt Robert T. Lambert and his wife Alice Elizabeth, I hope, somehow, to find anything. The auctioning of Alice Winsome Lambert's pictures is proving a real challenge as to the whereabouts...

Also, I have come across the Thames Ditton magazine, and it's been quite helpful and interesting. I presume you're in the team.

Good luck with your research,

Kind regards,

Cabarrús

Offline Aliwal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 19:41 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread but I found the following information about the military Captain Robert Lambert. The will of Juana Maria de los Dolores Smith, wife of Lieut. Gen. Sir Harry Smith names 'Robert Lambert of Blandford Cottage Thames Ditton' as one of the executors. It also states he is her nephew-in-law and is married to her niece Alice. The will was made 12th May 1870, Juana died 10th Oct. 1872 and the will was proved by her executors, Maj. Gen. Edward Alan Holdich and Robert Lambert, 24th October 1872.

Juana Smith is the subject of Georgette Heyer's 'The Spanish Bride'; Harry Smith served in the Peninsula in the 95th Rifles (later the Rifle Brigade), he was military secretary to Sir John Lambert in the 1814 war in America and A.Q.M. to Lambert in the 6th Division at Waterloo. Sir John made him major de place at Cambrai during the occupation of France.

The editor of 'The Autobiography of Lieut. General Sir Harry Smith', Sir Harry's great-nephew C. G. Moore Smith, mentions in the 1901 Preface 'I am indebted to my cousins, Mrs. Lambert of 1, Sloane Gardens, S.W., and C. W. Ford, Esq., for permission to reproduce pictures in their possession.'

I hope this information may be useful.

Offline Cabarrus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aliwal,

Thanks for your message. I already had the info, but I do really appreciate your post!.

Regards,

Cabarrús