Author Topic: James Wainwright - father of 15 children 1700's ?  (Read 10456 times)

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Wainwright - father of 15 children 1700's ?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your post - a great help.

I am attaching a (very much) work-in-progress pedigree for this family in the hope that it will produce more comment and contribution. I must emphasise that work-in-progress means subject to confirmation and change, so please don't take it as gospel, just a good guide at the moment.

Also for the Parish Records for Darfield please see http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Darfield and scroll down to the bottom.

Many thanks,
Caspar
Steavens of Bermondsey & Kent

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Also following on from Rabuser's post, Daniel Rooke had a son Daniel Rooke baptised as St. Mary's Barnsley 18/4/1689. There is another entry for a baptism on 6/3/1712 for another Daniel Rooke, also son of a Daniel Rooke, also at St. Mary's, Barnsley.

I see John Senior Rooke baptised 9/4/1758 at Silkstone, son of William Rooke, and then 13/4/1782 married at York to Mary Walker, and then buried 20/9/1835 at Dronfield, Derbyshire.

I also see a John Senior Rooke married at St. Mary, Lambeth to Eliza Susanna Collins on 26/7/1813 and then died in 1846 at Bethnal Green.

I see Richard Ludlam Rooke baptised 24/3/1823 at St. Peter's, Leeds, son of Edward & Elizabeth Rooke, and then living with his parents at the 1851 census and then with his siblings at Potter Newton at the 1871 census. Confusingly I see a death of a Richard Ludlam Rooke in Leeds in 1838, so I presume the name was used more than once.

Presumably this is all familiar, but I do wonder about how or if Daniel connects to Olive Wainwright who married John Rooke? And to the Olive Wainwright of the previous generation who married Thomas Senier/Senyar/Senior?

I hope there is more to share.

Caspar
Steavens of Bermondsey & Kent

Offline Rabuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 November 17 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the work-in-progress, Caspar.

Have you seen the stemma of part of the Rooke family in Jackson's History of Barnsley (1858)? He has John Rooke, gent. of Barnsley married to Olive (no surname given). He has Olive dying in 1721 aged 70, which fits with your baptism date. Assuming that all or most of Jackson's genealogy of the Rookes is valid, other branches are quite complex to unravel with confidence - more later.

The will of Stephen Ludlam mentions the following key people.

Stephen Ludlam, mercer of Barnsley      dated 5/1/1675

Sons Thomas and John
Daughters Sarah and Ann
Brother (in-law) Robert Wainwright, gent. and John Smith
Stephen, son of Nicholas Ludlam, my brother
Wife Ann

You're probably aware of this but there are a number of Wainwright wills held at the Borthwick that are of possible relevance to your research.
Axe (Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Derbyshire); Ludlam (Yorkshire); Rooke (Yorkshire, Derbyshire); Budgell (Somerset, Dorset, Canada); Tucker (Glamorgan, Pembroke).

Offline Rabuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 November 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
There are several John and Daniel Rookes amongst the Rookes of South Yorkshire. Daniel Rooke, the ancestor of John Senior Rooke and Richard Ludlam, is not listed on Jackson's stemma. He may be a brother of the John that married Olive but I have no way of demonstrating that, at present. As often, wills are useful. The microfilm copy of Daniel's will (Borthwick) is very hard to read in places but provides the following details:
Will of Daniel Rooke                     Proved 30/5/1699

Son John
Daughters Ann, Elizabeth, [Rebeckah?]
Wife Sarah
Brothers John Rooke & John Senior executors
Witness John Ludlam

The basic line of descent is Daniel - John - William - John Senior & Richard Ludlam and others. A partial family tree of this branch and details on various land transactions can be found via Sheffield Archives.

John Senior Rooke is another interesting subject! An investigation into the heirs of John Senior Rooke took place in the early 1860s. A son, John Senior Rooke, was recorded as a beneficiary in John Senior’s will but his sister Jane had been adamant that only two daughters had been born of his marriage and that he had never married again. He was described as a womaniser who deserted his wife and was disapproved of by Jane.

John Senior Rooke moved to Dronfield around 1832 and managed a public house. He was stated to have lived with a woman, Mrs Waters, whom he considered to be his wife. Despite his sister's disapproval he was her heir and executor when she died.

The investigation identified John Senior Rooke the younger as living on Hackney Road, London, dying on 24th May 1846 and being buried in Bethnal Green. He was said to have died intestate and left a daughter. The investigators believed him to have been an illegitimate child, perhaps of the aforesaid Elizabeth Waters, a servant or housekeeper. The two legitimate daughters were both dead by the time of the investigation. The investigators also sought out one Thomas Rooke, silversmith, in Sheffield but never found him - long dead. They don't seem to have been aware of the connection to Richard Ludlam Rooke (dead in 1838) and his living family in Leeds.

The marriage for John Senior Rooke & Eliza Susannah Collins that is recorded on 26/7/1813 at St Mary’s, Lambeth is presumably for our miscreant. If so, it seems likely to have been bigamous.

The 1841 census reveals John living on Hackney Road with three children, Thomas, Maria and [Robert], aged 8, 6 and 3 respectively. No wife is listed.

Papers on the investigation can be found at Sheffield Archives.

Originally, I was researching the Ludlams of South Yorkshire (I believe I've established a link between the Tankersley / Wortley / Barnsley Ludlams and those in Tetney, Lincs. in the eighteenth century, via Stephen Ludlam - left Hemsworth and found his way to Tetney as vicar d1722) but I've been drawn in by the links between Ludlam, Rooke, Senior and others as I've done more digging. The Barnsley Ludlams were mercers and look to have been quite wealthy: the Rookes seem to have been significant beneficiaries via Ann Ludlam of Pontefract in 1763.
Axe (Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Derbyshire); Ludlam (Yorkshire); Rooke (Yorkshire, Derbyshire); Budgell (Somerset, Dorset, Canada); Tucker (Glamorgan, Pembroke).

Offline Rabuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 June 18 16:21 BST (UK) »
Abstract of names from two Wainwright wills, held at the Borthwick. There are a few others, often not in great condition on microfilm, that I'll try to have a look at sometime.

Abstracted names from the will of Thomas Wainwright yeoman of Scholes dated 22/11/1663.
Wife Anne
Brother Henry
Children John, Joseph, Henry, Hanna, Sara, Susanna and Elizabeth
William Caxton, nephew
Houses etc. in Bolsover to son John

Will of William Wainwright of Cadeby, husbandman, dated 10/4/1664.

Son George
Katherine Bossevill grandchild
Son-in-law William […]forth and Mary his wife
G[…] wife of Thomas Bossevill
John Pinder upon his marriage with my daughter
Thomas Sykes & William Birkes witnesses