Author Topic: James Wainwright - father of 15 children 1700's ?  (Read 10490 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: James Wainwright - father of 15 children 1700's ?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 June 11 21:35 BST (UK) »

http://www.linleyfh.com/oursecondsite-p/p665.htm
quote from link
In 1741 Abbots Birk farm which Lydia had inherited from her father and his father, belonged to John Greene of Smallshaw and was leased to James Wainwright, son of Jeremiah Wainwright.................Thomas Wainwright of Royston, George Walker the younger of Hunshelf and Nicholas Stead of Dongworth agree that the fine to be levied of the messuage in Thurlstone called Smallshaw farm

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 June 11 22:29 BST (UK) »
Jacobus, Jakub, Jakób, Jakob, Jacob, Zachob,  Jaroslaus, Jarosław .... Zacharias, Zacomyah , Zachobus -Jeremiah

= James. Y or Z used  Yeremyah- Zeremyah -Z e m /Zacharias= later old english-Zac- Jac -J a m

http://www.remnantofyhwh.com/Backup%20of%20No%20J%20in%20Hebrew.htm
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 June 11 23:00 BST (UK) »
There's an online digital library and searching for "Yorkshire Registers" brings up three pages of books of old church records.  I haven't looked to see which diocese included Darfield and nearby villages but I did search one marriage book for "Wainright" and all I can say is "good luck, you'll need it" - solely because the spelling of the surname are many and varied!  :-

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=Yorkshire%20registers%20AND%20mediatype%3Atexts
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 July 11 00:13 BST (UK) »
thanks for all your helpfull finds!

Gives me some new directions to pursue :)
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 11:09 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has any more on the Wainwrights, please?

I can offer that Thomas Wainwright, gent., of Middlewood, York wrote his will 8th April 1659 and it was proved 11th August 1665. He had a son called Thomas who died within his father's lifetime probably having had, by his wife Ann, Robert Wainwright, gent. of Middlewood Hall, Darfield. This Robert Wainwright married Jane Ashton, daughter of Robert Ashton of Bradway by his wife Dorothy, 6th daughter of Robert Wood of Monk Bretton. Robert died 11/9/1683 and Jane was buried 31/3/1745, aged 99. Robert's will was dated 1st September 1683 and in it he mentions his wife, Jane, his father-in-law Mr. Robert Ashton, his uncle Mr. Henry Wood, his 3 daughters: Dorothy, Jane & Sarah, his sister Ann Usher, his nephew Thomas Ludlam and his heirs, his neice Sarah Law, his sister Olive Rook.  Dorothy Wainwright was baptised 16/9/1675, Jane was baptised 26/1/1679 and Sarah 7/6/1681. The youngest daughter, Sarah, married (on 16th April 1711) Rev. William Greenwood, Vicar of Darfield. The eldest daughter, Dorothy, married Will Green (d.1731) of Leversage Hall on 18th July 1695 and was great-grandmother to Thomas Ashton Bulkeley of Hill-Top House in the couty of Derby (see Burke's Commoners) who was christened on 12th July 1744 at Whittington, near Chesterfield, in the presence of the said Dorothy Green and her mother, Mrs. Jane Wainwright, the infant's great-great-grandmother.

It would appear that after the death of Robert Wainwright in 1683, his widow's family moved in with her at Middlewood Hall as Thomas, son of Robert Ashton, was born at Middlewood Hall in 1688, Robert Ashton was designated as of Middlewood Hall when he was buried 12th February 1716.

Middlewood Hall was then sold to the Walker family and then later to Hon. Henry Saville, only surviving brother of the Earl of Mexborough.

I also have a note that says George Wainwright married Agnes Elame on 28/8/1632, but nothing to confirm a family relationship to the above.

I would love to add more to this if anyone can help, please?

Many thanks,
Caspar
Steavens of Bermondsey & Kent

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 12:11 BST (UK) »
That Wainwright family is certainly in the right area to be connected to mine -- but there is a gap of a couple of generations or so before my earliest confirmed ancestor -- Thomas born c 1726

From what you say, it sounds like Robert only had daughters, not sons so his direct Wainwright line died out with him. Do you know if he had any brothers that could have continued the line downwards to my Thomas?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 13:39 BST (UK) »
I have posted all the info that I have and I am afraid I do not know of any siblings at any of the generations that I have shown

However I am hoping that someone else out there will read these postings and give us all an extra clue.

Or maybe you will strike gold sometime and be able to post back? Have you had any luck with those marriage registers?

Many thanks,
Caspar

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 April 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Will of Thomas Wainwrights senior:

8/4/1659 Thomas Wainwright of Middlewood, York, gent – my grandchild Robert W son & heir of my son Thomas dec’d, wife Ann exix, my two grandchildren Ann W & Ann Senier, Sarah W & Olive W my grandchildren, Magdalen S my grandchild, Thomas & John S my grandchildren, son-in-law Thomas Senier, Mr Samuel W of The Haugh [Greasbro], Mr Green of Cawthorpe parish & Mr George Ellis of Brampton my kinsmen supervisors – proved 11/8/1665

Many thanks,
Caspar

Offline Rabuser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 November 17 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Ref. Thomas Wainwright and his will (1/9/1683)

His sister Ann Usher looks like the lady marrying Stephen Ludlam in Barnsley on 17th May 1667. Stephen was a mercer and was buried in Tankersley on 10/1/1677-8. It looks like Ann remarried John Usher on 6/6/1680 at St Mary's, Barnsley. That provides the link to Thomas Ludlam, the nephew, who, incidentally, died young and was buried 26/1/1689-90 at St Mary's.

The links to other local families are useful. Of interest is the mention of Olive Rook, sister of Thomas. Olive married John Rouke in Darfield on 8/2/1671-2. A Daniel Rooke, gent. of Barnsley, was married to Sarah Ludlam (4/2/1691-2 Worsbrough) but there is a link to the Senior family also. A Daniel Rooke, perhaps the same man, seems to have married a Sarah Senior - marriage record yet to be found - but seemingly sister of Magdalen etc.. He is referred to as 'brother' to John and Thomas Senior in the 1690s. Both Senior and Ludlam are to be found as middle names in Daniel's descendants (John Senior Rooke and Richard Ludlam Rooke).
Axe (Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Derbyshire); Ludlam (Yorkshire); Rooke (Yorkshire, Derbyshire); Budgell (Somerset, Dorset, Canada); Tucker (Glamorgan, Pembroke).