Author Topic: Brislington approx 1815 COOKE  (Read 6926 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Brislington approx 1815 COOKE
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 June 11 17:27 BST (UK) »
Absolutely fascinating info.
I though it would be Inheritance based the name change.
Therefore if we track down John Hurle we will have Susannahs Parents.
I have also read up on Norah Fry and saw a plaque dedicated to her.

You may already have this;
BELFAST WEEKLY NEWS 06 June 1857
May 28, at Kensham(?) Church, by the Rev. Geo. Robinson, A.B., Vicar, assisted by the Rev. Robert R. Hurle, M.A., Rector of Blaisdon, Gloucestershire, Joseph Cooke Hurle, of Brislington Hill, Somerset, to Florence Anne, daughter of the late Arthur Forbes, Esq., of Newstone, County of Meath, and of Craigavad, County Down.

BITS and PIECES;

High Sheriff of Somerset;
1798: John Hurle, Brislington Hill House
Susannah mentioned;
http://www.bob-hammersley.co.uk/hurle/williamhurle_of_MD.htm
Forbes Family;
http://www.airgale.com.au/hungerford/d15.htm#c1318

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline johnsmith27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 17:58 BST (UK) »
I was very interested that the bob-hammersley website mentioned that Cooke-Hurle was in the Burkes family record. This gave details of the Hurles going back to 1686 and  the cookes to 1859 and showed a coat of arms with a moto "confido recte agens" meaning "trust in fair dealings". I think my next investigation is to trace back the Forbes family who was the mother of the first Joseph Cooke-Hurle

Offline ceebee.1444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 11:51 BST (UK) »
I am interested in Mary Shore Cooke born in 1815, dtr of Joseph Cooke who later married John Hill. Does anyone know why she was given the middle name of Shore?

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

I have just seen these posts and am able to give a bit more information on this family. I have recently taken an interest in them as I suspect they may be linked to mine. I don't know if you are still researching these, or where you are up to.

There is a Probate record for Elizabeth Hurle, spinster, who died in Whatley in 31 December 1860 (buried there 07/01/1861 aged 76). This states Letters of Administration were granted to her nephew, Joseph Cooke Hurle of Brislington, Somerset.

There are a few Hurle families in this area, ie Whatley, Elm and Mells in the late 18th century. I am trying to fathom their relationships.

As regards the name Shore, there is a marriage in Whatley on 30 August 1836.Chales Stewart Clarke of Bristol parish, married Elizabeth Hurle Shore, of Whatley parish. This was By Licence. The witnesses were: Joseph Cooke, William Hurle, John H Shore and Caroline Cooke (?). This is on Freereg.

Let me know what else you have found out since the original post.

Jo.

Offline ceebee.1444

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 September 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Henry Hurle and his wife Mary Bowles were buried at Stourton Church in 1807. The headstone was placed by their grandson Joseph Cooke-Hurle. The church is in a beautiful location on the National Trust Stourhead estate.