Author Topic: Brislington approx 1815 COOKE  (Read 6925 times)

Offline johnsmith27

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brislington approx 1815 COOKE
« on: Sunday 26 June 11 17:35 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the children of Joseph Cooke and Susannah Hurle. I know one was Joseph Cooke born in Brislington in 1814 and the 1851 census shows a Joseph Cooke with sisters Charlotte, Caroline and Ellen living in Brislington of the correct age. I would like to confirm that these people were the correct descendants and also find any information of the predecessors of Joseph Cooke and Susannah Hurle.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brislington approx 1815 COOKE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 June 11 18:12 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

Hope we can help you

West End town House Brislington Som
Joseph Cook 25 merchant yes
Ellen 15 ind yes
Joseph Cox 3 no
plus 4 F.S. & 1 M.S.
HO107 947 1 6 5

1851 shows Susan Cox neice 15 b beaminster with Joseph and sisters
so probably Joseph Cox from 1841 was their nephew

Possiblythey are the children of George & Susan Cox - maybe Susan's maiden name was Cooke/Cook???

Beaminster
North St
George Cox 35 Ind yes
Susan 25 no
George 6 yes
Susan 5 yes
Charlotte 3 mths yes
plus 3 F.S.

HO107 280 1 56 33

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 June 11 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Found these

Joseph Cooke bn. 1774 parents Joseph Cooke and Elizabeth Morgan. He married Susannah Hurle 1805 Stourton, Wiltshire

Their children:

Elizabeth bn abt. 1806,                                           Susan Hurle Cooke bn 1811 Brislington
Susanna bn. 1807 Bristol ,died 1809                      Joseph Cooke-Hurle bn 1813      "
Mary Ann bn. 1809 Brislington                                Mary Shore Cooke bn 1815         "
Charlotte bn 1817 Brislington died 1905                Caroline bn. 1819 Brislington
John bn 1821 Brislington died 1894                        Ellen bn. 1823, Bristol died 1899

Hope this helps
claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 June 11 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi again!!

Susannah Hurle bn 1782 bp. 16 June 1782 ,parents Henry Hurle (died 1829) and Mary Bowles who married 7 April 1779.

Henry Hurle's parents John Hurle and Elizabeth Parsons.

Info on IGI

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johnsmith27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 June 11 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I have found another marriage on Family Search and Ancestry between a Joseph Cooke and Susannah Hurle on May 2nd 1805 in Clifton Gloucestershire. I think I will have to try and get the origional certificates to see which one is the correct marriage. Thank you for the information

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 June 11 11:34 BST (UK) »
You cannot get certificates before reg began Sept qtr 1837 -you have to rely on parish registers.

I haven't checked the IGI entries but the most trustworthy ones are the extracted ones - if an IGI entry is "member submitted" only use it to research further - sometimes the records are correct -but very often they are not -sometimes they are nothing more than a guess based on census info etc

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 June 11 13:34 BST (UK) »
Joseph COOKE, Burial 10 September 1834, Brislington, St Luke, Somersetshire
Age 51
(born c 1783)
(Source Familysearch.Org)

How sweet 4 Sisters together in 1881,  Unmarried Charlotte 74, Caroline 71, Ellen 67 + Widowed Sister Mary A Plummer 82 :)

I found it interesting that in 1861 Joseph Cooke seems to be under Merle.
Caroline is down as Sister.
1871 he is under Joseph E Harle, born c 1814, Brislington, image is Joseph C Hurle.
Did he Inherit from the Hurles and change his name to keep the Line going?
1901 Florence Hurle (nee FORBES), Josephs Wife and Daug Susannah c 1861 are Visiting 84yr old Charlotte Cooke.
She lived to a great age!
1871 they are under Hurte.
You must have had fun researching Joseph!

Familysearch.Org also has Susannah HURLE, Christened 16 June 1782, Stourton, Wiltshire to HENRY/MARY
(Extracted Record)
Henry HURLE did Married Mary BOWLES, 1779, Wiltshire

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 June 11 14:06 BST (UK) »
From FreeREG;
Marriage;
28 May 1857, St John, Keysham, Somerset
Joseph COOKE-HURLE, Gentleman, Abode Brislington Hill, Father Joseph COOKE, Gentleman
Florence Anne FORBES, Abode Keysham Vicarage, Father Arthur FORBES, Gentleman
Witnesses;
Octavia Rachael FORBES (Florences Sister?)
Ellen COOKE (Sister born c 1823 ?)
William PLUMMER (Brother in Law, Sister Mary Anns Husband probably)
Joseph Cooke COX (Nephew)
(All I have added in brackets as to relationships is my research and others on here)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline johnsmith27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 June 11 15:34 BST (UK) »
I came across in a chest which had details of our family a paper  written in 1984 giving details of those present at the marriage of Joseph Cooke-Hurle and Miss Lilian Thomas on February 9 1886. The father of the bride, Joseph Cooke-Hurle,was the son of Joseph Cooke and Susannah Hurle and had assumed the name of Cooke-Hurle by Royal Licence in 1855 when under the will of his uncle John Hurle he had inherited the family estates in Brislington Hill.

There was present also three miss Cookes who were maiden aunts, miss Charlotte, miss Caroline and Miss Ellen who lived at 13 oakfield Road, Clifton.

This paper gives many other people who were there and relatives of the bride and groom. I will try and get the origional documents which one of my relations may have.

Joseph Cooke-Hurle who married Lilian Thomas had a second marriage to Norah Fry of the chocolate family.  She has a department at Bristol University is named after her.