Author Topic: Ronald Henry Foster 1922-2011  (Read 9375 times)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ronald Henry Foster 1922-2011
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 June 11 11:16 BST (UK) »
Yes, so I was going to leave this thread alone and go to bed but I had the Gisborne Cemetery database open still so here goes....

Loftus died as a baby in 1882
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0e0s/

So does Cecil (1879)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0e0t/

Night, night.
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 July 11 11:34 BST (UK) »
Emily (nee Blandford) descendants?
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0e11/

Where do you want to go with your search next aginger?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline aginger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 July 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
Good day to you all, Yesterday "out of the blue" an envelope came to me which was found in the effects of "RON" by his daughter who is winding up his Estate.
The papers were handwritten in 1881,these are early foolscap photocopies,and, confirm all the information that you kind people have added to the thread are exactly the same families that I have been looking for,. Now I have to move over to Australia where Ron,s Father was born in Sydney in 1890 and came to NZ 1n 1902.
THANK YOU.     Allen.
Williams,Lloyd Williams[N  Wales]
Hughes, Painter ,Giles,Heath,Bourton,Sansum,Legg,[Wilts]
 Giles, Gilles, Gyles, [Glos/Oxon]

Offline aginger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 July 11 16:06 BST (UK) »
iBoing! a rebound back to NZ,The papers read like this ;- for Henry Vincent Foster bn 1890 .
Born Sydney NSW Aust.1890,Travelled and educated in Aus,Emigrated to NZ aged 12 in 1902.educated at Christchurch High School and appointed to Customs at Gisborn at 17[1907] Transferred to Christchurch 2/11 engaged to Blanche Robinson 12/10 Gisborn.
But did the whole family emigrate from Aus to NZ ?????? His father was Henry L Foster and mother Sophia nee OCOCK bn 1849 Ottery St Mary Devon,Henry L was a Cash Register Salesman for NCR when in Australia,are the immigration records available still because I would love to find out where Henry L started out from[was it USA]?
Allen.
Williams,Lloyd Williams[N  Wales]
Hughes, Painter ,Giles,Heath,Bourton,Sansum,Legg,[Wilts]
 Giles, Gilles, Gyles, [Glos/Oxon]

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Allen...

You've not mentioned whether or not you've traced Sophia. If not...

There is a 1938 death for a Sophia FOSTER listed on the Christchurch Cemeteries database. Her age at death gives her a birth year of 1849. She is a native of England. Migrated to NZ in 1907-ish.

The easiest way to find if she is your Sophia is by purchasing a printout of her death certificate from BDM NZ. But that's a NZ$20 gamble.

You could start a thread requesting a death notice look-up in The Press (Christchurch newspaper) for the week of her death

The death notice is mentioned on http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ashleigh although the synopsis doesn't mention any other names.

Look under "1938.June.Christchurch.Press.BMD"

You can ask for a transcription of the funeral notice to be emailed to you. Not sure if there is a fee or if it's an act of kindness. Suspect the latter.

Quote from: aginger

I would love to find out where Henry L started out from[was it USA]?

To find where Henry L FOSTER came from you could purchase the 1890 birth certificate of his son Henry Vincent FOSTER from NSW BDM (Births-3507/1890)

And if you're interested, Henry Vincent FOSTER gets a mention on the WW1 NZ Service Personnel CD. The "Second Reserves" relates to Aug-Oct 1917

Surname - FOSTER
Given Name - Henry Vincent
Category - Second Reserves
Last NZ Address - Tees St Oamaru
Occupation - Customs Officer
Classification - B (one child)

Regards
Beg

Offline gjckiwi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 August 11 05:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Allen,

I was a very good friend of Ron's son Matthew in New Zealand.  I have been searching for him for some time now.  I knew Ron and he was like my second father to me.  Do you have any details of where I could find Matt? 

My name is Grant Chick.

Offline ellipitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 August 11 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately, there's little real info in Sophia's newspaper notice - and I looked for a few days but couldn''t see any form of obituary. At that time, the women's pages often gave potted obits for elderly ladies - and Sophia would have fitted this description, sadly nothing found.
Best wishes
Elli

NEWSPAPER: DEATHS - FOSTER: On June 22, 1938 at Nazareth House, Christchurch, Sophia Foster, in her 90th year. RIP. ['The Press' (Christchurch) Thursday, 23 June 1938, p1a]
FUNERAL NOTICE: The funeral of the late Mrs Sophia Foster will leave Nazareth House, Brougham St, Sydenham, This Day (Thursday), June 23 at 8.45am for the Bromley Cemetery. ['The Press' (Christchurch) Thursday, 23 June 1938, p20h]