Author Topic: Guthrie of Pitforthie  (Read 15005 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Guthrie of Pitforthie
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 May 15 12:02 BST (UK) »
So my challenge now is to discover who this David's parents were, having ruled out what has been widely distributed on many sites as his father being David Guthrie, mother being Margaret Arbuthnot. (Ruled out by the memoirs of Gideon Guthrie, David Guthrie's brother, which state that he died without male descendant - his eldest daughter, Margaret, inheriting the estate, and marrying William Stuart.)

Fasti says that Henry Guthrie was served heir in 1698 to his father Rev David Guthrie of Glenmuick (I see that some sites call it Blenmuick but that is a misreading) so presumably this Henry must have died before Gideon wrote his memoirs. Margaret Guthrie married William Stuart of Inchbreck, possibly in 1704. There were another three daughters.

I see on another web site that Harry Guthrie, writer in Edinburgh, matriculated arms in 1775 as the chief of the Guthries of Halkerton, and that the male line died with him. His elder brother William had died in 1770. This is interesting because it implies that the Gideon Guthrie born in Edinburgh in 1742, and any brothers he might have had, died before his or their father. Does it also mean that the male line of Harry's great-great-uncle John Guthrie of Halkerton, portioner of Milton of Conon, had also died out?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sdbpastor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 May 15 13:02 BST (UK) »
Very good question!

Hopefully I can push through this wall of who David Guthrie (b. 1685; m. Margaret Scott) before we get to Scotland next month!

It would be great to be able to stand on some of Debbie's ancestors' land before they migrated to the USA (Pennsylvania in her case).

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 30 May 15 13:12 BST (UK) »
It would be great to be able to stand on some of Debbie's ancestors' land before they migrated to the USA (Pennsylvania in her case).

If you look at the baptisms of the children of David G and Margaret Scott, they may tell you where they were born, so you will know ehere to go and stand.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sdbpastor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 30 May 15 13:14 BST (UK) »
Duh. Great idea.  :)

I didn't think of that. :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 May 15 13:35 BST (UK) »
When you find out, let me know and I will point you at suitable maps.

Offline haselbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 July 17 07:58 BST (UK) »
Reverand Patrick Warner Born 1661 (son of John Warner Born 1628 of Irvine) Married 1691 Fenwick, to Mary Guthrie Born 1665 Fenwick (Daughter of Reverand William Guthrie Born 1639 of Fenwick) They had the following children :
1. William Warner c 15 Jan 1692- Abt1793 Married 8 Sep 1709 at Stevenston, Ayrshire to Janet
    Hamilton (sometimes listed as Hamiltone/ Hamiltoune) Born 1694 (Daughter of Alexander
    Hamilton of Ardeer.
    Children:
    A. Rebecka Warner c 11 Feb 1711 Stevenston, Ayrshire
    B. Patrick Warner c 15 June 1712 Stevenston, Ayrshire
    c. John Warner c 3 Sep 1713 Stevenston, Ayrshire
    d. Rebeccah Warner c 4 May 1715 Stevenston, Ayrshire
    e. William Warner c 1716 Stevenston, Ayrshire.
2. Margaret Warner Born 1694 Ardeer Died 1759 (1) Married 14 Feb 1706 Ayrshire
    Sp Reverand Ebenezer Vetch/Veitch Born 1690 Ardeer
    (2) Married 1708 Ayrshire
    Sp Reverand Robert Woodrow Born 1690 Ardeer
3. Patrick Warner Born 1696 of Irvine Died Young
4. Son Warner Born 1698 Ardeer Died Young
5. Daughter Warner Born 1700 Ardeer Died Young
6. Daughter Warner Born 1700 Ardeer Died Young.

B Patrick Warner 1712-1793 (Son of William Warner + Janet Hamilton Married 1 May 1775 Ayrshire
   Sp Helen (Ellen) Russell Born 1716 Stevenston, Ayrshire
   Children :
   1. John     Warner Born 24 Sep 1776 c 27 Sep 1776 Stevenston, Ayrshire
   2. William Warner Born 24 Sep 1776 c 27 Sep 1776 Stevenston, Ayrshire
   3. Janet    Warner Born 27 Feb 1778 c   6 Mar 1778 Stevenston, Ayrshire
   4. Patrick  Warner Born 17 Sep 1779 Stevenston, Ayrshire
   5. William John Warner (Female) Born 8 July 1781 c 13 July 1781 Stevenston, Ayrshire
   6. Agnes Warner Born 7 May 1785 Stevenston, Ayrshire
   7. Helen Warner Born 31 Oct 1785 C 11 Nov 1785 Stevenston, Ayrshire
   8. John Warner Born 10 Dec 1788 Stevenston, Ayrshire.

5 William John Warner Married Alexander William Miller/Millar Born 18 Mar 1774 Kilwinning 
    Ayrshire, his name was listed as William Alexander Miller (Son of William Miller of Monk Castle
    Ayrshire + Agnes Cunninghame)
    Children
    1. Helen Warner Millar Born 6 May 1805 Edinburgh
    2. Jean Nimmo Millar   Born 9 June 1807 c 9 July 1807 Kilwinning
    3. Janet Miller Born 17 Nov 1809 c 19 Dec 1809 Kilwinning
    4. Catherine Ann Miller c 21 Aug 1811 Kilwinning
    5. Rebecca Henreeta Miller Born 28 July 1813 Kilwinning
    6. Alexander Cunninghame Miller c 8 July 1815 Kilwinning
    7. Patrick Miller Born 25 July 1819 Kilwinning
Alexander and his family Left Scotland and came to New South Wales, Australia.

6. Alexander Cunninghame Miller Married 2 women and had numerous children, if  you would like more on this family please contact me at margaretsilva@bigpond.com
Ayling:Sussex, Brighton
Bowley:Sussex, Brighton, Arundel,Burpham
Braddon:Devon,Mamhead,Dawlish
Catford:Sussex,Burpham
Davis:Devon,Mamhead,Dawlish
Dix:Somerset,Haselbury Plucknett
Masters:Kent,Trottiscliffe
Medlar:Norfolk,Hevingham
Morey:Somerset,Haselbury Plucknett
Mudge:Devon,Dawlish
Rendell:Dorset/Beaminster/Somerset/East Chinnock
Sharp:Kent,Bexley,Crayford
Sibley:Kent,Dartford,Deptford, London
Silva:Ceylon
Starling: West Indies,Barbados,Bridgetown
Ward:Sussex,Arundel, Australia

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 14 July 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you, haselbury. I did have some of that, but right now I am over my ears with other stuff and I don't have time to study it properly.

However the first few dates on your list don't match mine. I have William Guthrie born 1620, not 1639, and Mary born 1655 not 1665 and married 1681 not 1691. I will have to review my sources for these, and get back to you eventually.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 October 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Finally getting back to work on this.

There is no baptism on record in the Church of Scotland parish registers of William Guthrie, son of James Guthrie of Pitforthie, in either 1620 or 1639. Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae says he was born in 1620 and graduated MA in 1638.

There is no record in the OPRs of his marriage to Agnes Campbell, but his eldest child, Margaret, was baptised in April 1648. If he had been born in 1639, he must have been ordained as minister, married and his first child conceived by 1647, when he was only 7 or 8 years old. I have attached the extracts of the baptism of his eldest daughter Margaret in 1648 and of his daughter Mary in 1655 from the OPR of the parish of Fenwick. The latter makes it quite clear that it refers to the minister of the parish.

I have no independent evidence for the date of marriage of his daughter Mary to Patrick Warner, which I must have taken from Fasti or one of the many articles written about William Guthrie.