Author Topic: Trailflats cemetery-dumfries  (Read 8500 times)

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trailflats cemetery-dumfries
« on: Monday 27 June 11 23:19 BST (UK) »
anxious to find records of burials in Trailflats Cemetery - Shieldhill, Dumfries. Help appreciated

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trailflats cemetery-dumfries
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 22:47 BST (UK) »
I have now found out that comprehensive details of the burials in this cemetery are held by the Ewart Library in Dumfries.Thanks to them for their help

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 11 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have a looked at http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dfsgal/Trailflat/index.htm
There you will see a photo tour of Trailflatt.
I carried out this photo survey for DGFHS and also did the layout for their MI booklet Tinwald & Trailflat graveyards. 
(See www.dgfhs.org.uk/userfiles/file/MEMORIAL%20INSCRIPTIONS%20LIST.pdf)
Trailflat was once a separate parish but is now part of Tinwald.
I have waived copyright on all the photos on this site provide they are used for non-profit purposes by family historians.
What family are you looking for and I'll tell you if it is worthwhile send for the MI booklet.
Here is an example of the photo survey.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 July 11 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for your helpful reply. I am indirectly researching the Mounseys. My g-g-g-grandfather Joseph Hamilton (1770-1839) was married to Joan Mounsey ( 1767-1856) Her father was Alexander Mounsey and her mother Jane Mounsey nee Rogerson

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 July 11 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Hannahville,
There are just these four Mounsey/Munsie/Monsie gravestones in Trailflatt
01. Here lyes the corpse of John Mounsey in Shieldhill son to William Mounsey in Skipmyre who departed this life the 2nd day of April 1751 aged 23 years.

02.  In memory of William Mounsey in Skipmire who died April 23rd 1751 aged 63 years.  Also Margaret Rogerson his spouse who died November 19th 1760 aged 65 years.  Also Alexander Mounsey their son who died July 31st 1785 aged 56 years.  Also Jean Rogerson his spouse who died May 3rd 1820 aged 81 years.  Also Samuel Mounsey their son who died June 9th 1797 aged 26 years.  Also William son to the said William Mounsey who died January 23rd 1793 aged 60 years.  Also William son to said Alexander Mounsey who died 22nd December 1829 aged 67 years.

03.  Here lyes Jannet Paterson lait (sic) spouse to Thomas Munsie (sic) merchant Skipmyre, who died the 26th day of November 1698.  And here lye T.M.  and A.M.  their children.  Here lyeth the body of Thomas Monsie (sic) in Skipmyre who departed this life August 6th 1711 aged 55 years.  Also here lyeth the body of Mary Steel spouse to Thomas Mounsie who departed this life 23rd May, 1747 aged 63 years.

04.  In memory of Jean White spouse to James Mounsey in Skipmyre who died June 21st  1820 aged 43 years.  Also James their son who died August, 1812 aged 2 years.  Also William their son who died 31st March 1821 aged 14 years.  Also James their son who died 2nd June 1825 aged 12 years.  Also said James Mounsey who died 10th March 1835 aged 55 years.  Also interred here John Mounsey M.D.  his son who died in Manchester 26th October 1837 aged 29 years.

I can't say if these stones are still readable.
The booklet published by DGFHS is based on a survey made in the 1960s.

Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 09:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the informatiion. It completes what I was looking for. Will try to visit Trailflats in the near future

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 August 13 13:12 BST (UK) »

Hello Johnner Kid,

Was reading your post on the Tinwald & Trailflat cemetery and wondered if you could help me with my query.
My GGG Grandparents John MEIN & Jane MEIN (nee Black) lived at Jericho 2 (1841 census). I have been unable to find their burial place. Could they be there.

Regards

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 17:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry Cupcake, there are no MEIN burials in Trailfats that I know of.
I do know of a memorial in Holywood graveyard with with both a MEIN and BLACK inscription.

Jane BLACK, wife of David MEIN, who departed this life at Newton Cottage of Terregles on the 10th April 1849 aged 63 years
Also David MEIN her husband, who departed this life at Newton Cottage of Terregles on the 25th June 1849 agd 58 years

"Mark the perfect man and behold the upright, for the latter end of that man is peace"

May not be yours of course.
Cheers,
Sy

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 August 13 06:30 BST (UK) »

Thank you for that Johnner Kid.

As they lived at Jericho Cottage I thought they may have been buried in Trailflats or, certainly in the area.

The David MEIN may have been my GGG  Grandfather John MEIN's brother and, he was also married to a Jane Black. It is too far back to check on birth certificates to find their parents.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman