Author Topic: Murder in Western Australia  (Read 22301 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Murder in Western Australia
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 03:32 BST (UK) »
A question  ::)

As the FOX family seem to have been a pioneer family in WA, did someone expunge the name or overlook it when compiling lists of those pioneering families

Barry .... not found a link
Berry http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mywamob/mywamob/1610.htm
Fox ...... not found a link

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 05:19 BST (UK) »
Some information about JOHN's brother JOSEPH FOX.
For interest

The biographical notes on the family and the trial mention
ARTHUR WILLIAM FOX describing him a the nephew of JOHN and son of JOSEPH.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3224322?searchTerm="arthur william fox"&searchLimits=

A death in NSW

REG 17625 YR 1928    FOX ARTHUR W
   Father JOSEPH
    Mother JANE A
   AUBURN

A notice regarding the intestacy of above gives his fuller name.

ARTHUR WILLIAM ENOCH FOX.

{This is the second time I see the name ENOCH with FOX.
A son to JOSEPH and MARY BERRY was ENOCH.}

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/16569395?searchTerm="arthur william  enoch fox"&searchLimits=

This is the Newspaper death notice in WA for JOSEPH FOX in 1938, mentioning his late wife JANE,son ARTHUR and daughters.
{this death shows on the index, but parents are not listed}

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0dzz/

JANE ANNIE FOX died in 1920 and is buried at KARRAKATTA
JOSEPH FOX is with her.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 05:24 BST (UK) »
A question ::)

As the FOX family seem to have been a pioneer family in WA, did someone expunge the name or overlook it when compiling lists of those pioneering families
Cheers JM

Most of the published Pioneers of XXX  rely on input from persons with an interest / family in the area.  Anyone not mentioned, it may be because their family did not know about being compiled / left it too late to do anything about it (read me!) / didn't realise the significance of either their family or the pioneer publication.  I could no doubt find other reasons.

An instance:  I once had someone from a country NSW historical society write me that my grandparents couldn't have married in their town because neither of them were mentioned in any histories of the area!!
As I have their original (issued on the day, at the church) marriage certificate, I advised her that she was wrong.  Everyone doesn't get written up in the history books!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 05:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dawn  ;D

Here's The West Australian's cutting for the 70 year old Mrs Joseph Fox , noting Arthur was in Sydney NSW .... http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/27781993 26 July 1920

NO mention of John or John Alexander FOX though

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 07:10 BST (UK) »
By  the death notice  for Mrs Joseph Fox  one of  the daughter’s is  Mrs Sweetman.

Now  Hilda M Fox married Robert Sweetman in 1907 in WA

A probable birth

Hilda Maud Fox  born 1884 in Melbourne reg no 19497
Mildred Rickards Fox  born 1887 Melbourn reg no 12873

Parents Joseph Fox and Jane Annie KING

No marriage in Victoria though

There are interned together  he died in 1938 aged 82

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 07:23 BST (UK) »
Ah. Victoria!! ;D

That is why I could find no births to the couple, though the children were listed.

This is perhaps the NELLIE mentioned.

FOX Nelly Mary
Father Jos
Mother: Jane Annie FOX
Place: SOUTH MELBOURNE
Reg.  15023

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Alas, I have not found John, but

I have followed his two daughters..... I summarise
1920 From marriage announcement for Esther Mary (May) FOX to William Caddy FREEMAN... John Fox was still alive on 15 May, 1920 and he was living at Claremount WA.  (newspaper)
1921 on 18 May, a John Fox announces he will hold his weekly dancing class at St Marys.  (Is that him? if so, did he marry Zelda Bailey several years later ? A John Fox and a Zelda Bailey were  members of Sir Humphrey Bishop and company of comedians and vocalists, toured WA, SA etc, but I have not looked o'seas for any tours for them)
1925 Frederick and Rosalinda Perkins at Canning Road, East Freemantle (Electoral Roll)
1925 William and Esther Freeman at 27 Arthur St Subiaco  (Electoral Roll)
1930 Mrs F Perkins with her daughter were at Canning Road East Freemantle  (newspaper)
1931 Rosalinda Perkins at Canning Road, East Freemantle (Electoral Roll)
1931 William and Esther Freeman at 27 Arthur St Subiaco (Electoral Roll)
1936 Rosalinda Perkins at Richardson St, West Perth (Electoral Roll)
1937 Rosalinda Perkins at Ord St West Perth (Electoral Roll) as is her unmarried daughter, a typiste.
1938 (Rosalinda) Violet Perkins was at Subiaco where she died 11 December 1938 (newspaper)
1948 (Esther) Mary  Freeman was at Subiaco, but formerly of Geraldton when her husband died.  Her niece (married, but with same first name as the 1930 newspaper announcement)  was then at Freemantle.  .
1949 The niece and her husband and Esther Mary Freeman are at Freemantle. (Electoral Roll)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/27776922?searchTerm=esther mary fox&searchLimits=l-decade=192|||l-title=The+West+Australian+%28Perth%2C...%7Ctitleid%3A30|||l-year=1920

Esther MAry Fox's marriage notice in 1920 the father was still alive then

Jenn

Cheers,  JM

PS. sorry,  but I have over-written my word doc with the live links to trove, if needed I will re-visit trove, please let me know, though   :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[  )

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 11:55 BST (UK) »
A John Fox acquitted of manslaughter in 1925 at South Perth.  His wife, Zelda, gave evidence.
6 August 1925 The West Australian http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/31872814

A John Fox, an Englishman on a business tour of Australia, his wife Zelda appearing in a play in Sydney in 1936, as reported in a Brisbane newspaper
Tuesday 31 March 1936 The Courier-Mail  http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/36810791

1925 WA marriage registered at Perth,  John FOX and Zelda A C BAILEY,  # 472  ( Edit to add later on in this thread, it would seem this marriage was around 22 April 1925)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 11:58 BST (UK) »
Zelda re-marries

Gerald D Green to Zelda A C Fox Or Bailey in the Second Quarter 1943 Cheltenham Gloucestershire
GRO Vol 6a pg 1014

Edit to add

Death Zelda A C Green aged 50,  Second Quarter 1961, at  Cheltenham (Gloucestershire) Vol 7b pg 324

Cheers,  JM